Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I

Updated "Way too early rankings" (5/25)

There are three new rankings out today, updated because the NBA draft deadline has passed so rosters are better established for next season. Here are the rankings for Xavier and Big East teams. ESPN: Xavier (#17) with Villanova (#11), Seton Hall (#18), and Butler (#23). CBS: Xavier (#24) with Villanova (#8) and Butler (#18). Fox: Xavier (#9) with Villanova (#8) and Seton Hall (#17). FanRag (Rothstein): Xavier (#13) with Villanova (#5), Seton Hall (#18), and Providence ("on the cusp"). So it looks like 5 BE teams are getting early respect. Can't wait for the season to begin!
    Last edited by X-man; 05-25-2017 at 10:34 AM.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

I'm normally not a fan of Rothstein and think he is underrating Providence. With that being said, how in the hell is he the only one that's rating Providence at all? They were a tournament team, they won their last six regular season games, two of those wins were on the road, and four of them were against other tournament teams, and everyone is back. How nice that one person recognizes them as being "on the cusp."

Unless I'm missing something. Are any of their key players leaving??
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I'm normally not a fan of Rothstein and think he is underrating Providence. With that being said, how in the hell is he the only one that's rating Providence at all? They were a tournament team, they won their last six regular season games, two of those wins were on the road, and four of them were against other tournament teams, and everyone is back. How nice that one person recognizes them as being "on the cusp."

Unless I'm missing something. Are any of their key players leaving??
    They finished the season 60th in Kenpom. Going from 60 to top 25 is a pretty big jump when youre starting essentially the same group. I think they'll be good but Top 25 is a bit of a stretch in my personal opinion.

Providence also brings in a very good recruiting class led by star PG prospect Makai Ashton-Langford. This is probably Ed Cooley's most well-rounded team since joining Providence.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I'm normally not a fan of Rothstein and think he is underrating Providence.
    It's Rothstein. At some point he'll have every team in the country in his top 25 or "on the cusp".

I'm definitely getting a palpable buzz on.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by THRILLHOUSE View Post
    It's Rothstein. At some point he'll have every team in the country in his top 25 or "on the cusp".
    Would be more interested in his palpable buzz rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by THRILLHOUSE View Post
    He did get one thing right with putting us at 13, and FOX putting us at 9... I'd assume we start out somewhere between 8-15 at the start of the season, went to an Elite 8, key core returning, phenomenal recruiting class coming in? I just don't see how we aren't higher in some of these like CBS... I know we didn't have the greatest regular season, but shouldn't tournament performance come into play?

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    He did get one thing right with putting us at 13, and FOX putting us at 9... I'd assume we start out somewhere between 8-15 at the start of the season, went to an Elite 8, key core returning, phenomenal recruiting class coming in? I just don't see how we aren't higher in some of these like CBS... I know we didn't have the greatest regular season, but shouldn't tournament performance come into play?
    I think the tournament should come into play, but I think a lot of people are assuming since Jones and OMara played well a few games in March that they'll continue that play into next year. We still have some question marks with consistency on 3 of our positions. I think we have the potential to be top 15 or even top 10 by the end of the season but I dont necessarily think we'll be one of the 15 best teams in mid-November.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    But we're losing Sumner, which is a totally new experience for the team.

I vote we install a sarcasm font.
    zip em up