Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Michigan played the previous two years and Ohio State sucks.

I'm not sure what everyone was expecting from this arrangement. There are significantly more Big10 teams, the Big10 plays in a much more prominent event that is basically the same idea and in the same general window of time, and MSU plays in the Champions Classic every year. It's hard to imagine the stars aligning for 5 great matchups to happen in the same year or all the top teams participating. These all seem like pretty good games to me when you consider most schools' approach to non-conference scheduling.
    Exactly. Seems like people are just bitching to bitch.

Call it what you want. Michigan dropping last years game......on the road is crap. Why have the series if you don't match up your best programs every now and then and showcase your league(s)? Seems that what it should be about to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Call it what you want. Michigan dropping last years game......on the road is crap. Why have the series if you don't match up your best programs every now and then and showcase your league(s)? Seems that what it should be about to me.
    What game did Michigan drop?

They were in the 2k Classic last year, which is played that same week, and they had been scheduled to play in that event prior to the 2015-2016 season even ending. It was announced over two months before the Gavitt Games matchups were announced. It's not like they scheduled Michigan to play in a game and then Michigan decided not to play.

Marquette was also in the 2k Classic. Marquette also did not play in the Gavitt Games last year. Coincidentally, Michigan and Marquette played each other in that event, which was the same week as the Gavitt Games. Perhaps we can even call that a pseudo Gavitt Games match-up. In fact I think that matchup was announced before any of the Gavitt Games matchups were. Does Marquette deserve the same scorn for "dropping last year's game"?

We have a scheduling agreement with the Big Ten. And, people are unhappy. It's amazing to me how people who want to complain about something can always find something to complain about. I mean, it really is something to behold.
    Last edited by xubrew; 05-22-2017 at 02:23 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Supporting Member
    I am flabbergasted at the complaints about this series. The math is pretty simple as to why some teams play and some don't. It's been a good deal for the Big East. I'm not sure what everyone is expecting. So far, we've gotten games against Michigan and Wisconsin; what's the problem ?
    We'll get our home games.

The Gavitt Tipoff Games is an annual eight game series played between the Big Ten Conference and the Big East Conference to tip-off the college basketball season. The Gavitt Tipoff Games began in 2015 and will be played annually until 2022 as part of an eight-year deal. The Gavitt Tipoff Games will be played at the home sites at the participating schools, four of them will be hosted by Big Ten schools and four of them will be hosted by Big East schools. Each Big East team will participate a minimum of six times, while each Big Ten program will take part a minimum of four times.
    All games played at a Big East campus will be televised by FS1 and all games played on a Big Ten campus will be televised by ESPN or the Big Ten Network.

Through two seasons, the match up is 8-8; 4-4 both years.

Supporting Member
    •Nov. 13th: Minnesota at Providence
    •Nov. 14th: Purdue at Marquette
    •Nov. 15th: Butler at Maryland; Creighton at Northwestern; Indiana at Seton Hall
    •Nov. 16th: Xavier at Wisconsin, Nebraska at St. John’s
    •Nov. 17th: DePaul at Illinois

6 of 8 are good non-conference games. If I recall (and I May be wrong), didn't all these teams except Indiana make the tournament ?

I am flabbergasted by those who are complaining about the complaints about this series.

Quote Originally Posted by xeus View Post
    I am flabbergasted by those who are complaining about the complaints about this series.
    And so it goes....

I don't think they've announced the tipoff times yet. When they do, regardless of what time our game tips, people will complain. Or, how the event is covered by the BTN Network. I don't know what they'll say, but whatever it is there will be a multitude of people on here who will feel slighted. They'll also allege that it's all because the Big Ten is being selfish and that we're somehow being totally screwed as a result. I'll be flabbergasted by the complaints, and I guess you'll be flabbergasted by my flabbergastedness.

Supporting Member
    BTN ?
    If they don't put us on ESPN, with a one hour pre-game show; or better yet, make it a mega-cast, that's complete B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    And so it goes....

I don't think they've announced the tipoff times yet. When they do, regardless of what time our game tips, people will complain. Or, how the event is covered by the BTN Network. I don't know what they'll say, but whatever it is there will be a multitude of people on here who will feel slighted. They'll also allege that it's all because the Big Ten is being selfish and that we're somehow being totally screwed as a result. I'll be flabbergasted by the complaints, and I guess you'll be flabbergasted by my flabbergastedness.
    Hey, it's the offseason.

This is what a lot of posts on this board remind me of. (NESFW. Not entirely suitable for work due to the language, so you may want to turn your volume down)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYAYnCAQRMY