Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ammtd34 View Post
    Is one good or bad?

West doesn't seem to claim he's doing it for any other reason.
    I don't have a problem with it. However, before his last season started with Indy, West said he isn't the type of guy to ring chase. Things change and that's fine, but I get why people would call him out on it. And if the Warriors don't win it all, there will be plenty of jokes and memes directed at him.

Speaking of David F'n West, The Undefeated posted an interview with him today:

https://theundefeated.com/features/warriors-david-west/

...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Honestly, I'll be absolutely gutted for him if he doesn't win an NBA Championship, the man has taken veteran minimums in order to win a championship, he does things the right way, I'd love for him to get it. He's been chasing it for so long.

David Wast wants to coach? Uh, yes please!

Oh, and the author should be fucking shot for including Adam Morrison in an article about David West, Michael Finley, Mitch Richmond, Mike Miller and (to a much lesser extent) Barkley and Malone!

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Honestly, I'll be absolutely gutted for him if he doesn't win an NBA Championship, the man has taken veteran minimums in order to win a championship, he does things the right way, I'd love for him to get it. He's been chasing it for so long.
    I like David West as much as any Xavier fan, and think that he is a good representative for the University but is chasing a championship really something to be admired? I can't stand Durant for doing basically the same thing, so I can't be a hypocrite and say I really want West to win. Plus, outside of Curry, I find a lot of the individual personalities on the Warriors pretty unlikable.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I like David West as much as any Xavier fan, and think that he is a good representative for the University but is chasing a championship really something to be admired? I can't stand Durant for doing basically the same thing, so I can't be a hypocrite and say I really want West to win. Plus, outside of Curry, I find a lot of the individual personalities on the Warriors pretty unlikable.
    LeBron is the most guilty of all of them. He basically started it. Other NBA players had done this at the end of their careers (Malone, Payton, Barkley, KG) but LeBron did it in the prime of his career. He was terrified of not winning one.

These guys cant win with fans though. It used to be "they dont want to win they only care about the money" (see A-Rod to the Rangers as one prime example). Now these guys going to teams that give them a better chance to win and the are being blasted for "ring chasing".

These guys now know they will ultimately be judged by rings and they dont want to be the next Barkley, Ewing, Malone, etc. If Durant wins 3 rings with the Warriors in 20 years people will be talking about 3 time champion KD, not that he teamed up with the Warriors to do it.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I understand why some people could look down on him for "ring chasing" but theres also something admiral about turning down 11 Million Dollars to play with the games elite.

The ringer wrote a great article in which West explains how he really isnt ring chasing. If you need a reason to admire DWest in recent years this will definitely give you one.

https://theringer.com/dont-call-davi...r-ef829963efeb

I think it's different in DW's case. People that are mad about KD are mad because he's a top 10 player in the league, and was on the 2nd best team in the West while leaving the whole city and Russ out to dry. DW left a declining Pacers team on the back end of his career. He gets what, maybe 15 minutes a night? At this point he knows what he is and what he can offer. It's either leave and try to get a ring after you've put in the hard work with a team that could use veteran presence.. or get replaced on your current team (the pacers) by someone younger the org wants to develop and fade into the night

Eh, honestly I think Draymond is the one that gives the Warriors the bad rep more than anything. He's a douche in all senses of the word. Klay Thompson doesn't really say much off the court (granted he did in the finals last year), KD isn't that awful personality wise, other than him leaving to chase a championship. Though I will say, I don't mind ring chasing. I mean I much rather someone have the heart to go out there and want to win, rather than averaging 25 on a crappy team being content. Did he have a solid chance at OKC? Probably, but at the same time, they went to the finals and lost, had a strong hold in the ECF and lost, I think he knew his chances were running thin.

Nice article on David West

Quote Originally Posted by xufan2434 View Post
    I think it's different in DW's case. People that are mad about KD are mad because he's a top 10 player in the league, and was on the 2nd best team in the West while leaving the whole city and Russ out to dry. DW left a declining Pacers team on the back end of his career. He gets what, maybe 15 minutes a night? At this point he knows what he is and what he can offer. It's either leave and try to get a ring after you've put in the hard work with a team that could use veteran presence.. or get replaced on your current team (the pacers) by someone younger the org wants to develop and fade into the night
    As a Pacers fan, I was disappointed to see him leave but I totally understood it. His last good year was wasted by Paul George breaking his leg and being out for practically the whole season. West also enjoyed the change of roles when he went to the Spurs. He went from being the veteran presence on a young Pacers team to backing up possibly the greatest power forward of all time in Tim Duncan. He has been quoted in articles how much he liked the relief of that leadership burden while learning from the best. It seems like locker room drama and Larry Bird's antics also motivated his departure from the Pacers, and I could see annoyance with being the veteran leader in that circumstance.

By the time he went to the Warriors, he had a choice between supporting a winner or playing some more minutes in the twilight of his career for an also-ran. And of course, as mentioned by 2434, the latter situation likely would have involved losing minutes to young talent that would have taken more and more of his minutes over the course of the season in part due to long-term potential rather than current production. In that context, if money wasn't a major concern (read: past earnings were managed well), it was probably an easy choice.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk