Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

I don't know a David West.

Did you mean David Fucking West?

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I don't know a David West.

Did you mean David Fucking West?
    Yes. Yes, I do.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

Keith Waleskowski could not be reached for comment.
    Veritas vos Liberabit

I checked comments but then finally clicked on the article. It's a very nice read and well worth a few minutes.

Nice article on David West

Quote Originally Posted by xufan2434 View Post
    I think it's different in DW's case. People that are mad about KD are mad because he's a top 10 player in the league, and was on the 2nd best team in the West while leaving the whole city and Russ out to dry. DW left a declining Pacers team on the back end of his career. He gets what, maybe 15 minutes a night? At this point he knows what he is and what he can offer. It's either leave and try to get a ring after you've put in the hard work with a team that could use veteran presence.. or get replaced on your current team (the pacers) by someone younger the org wants to develop and fade into the night
    As a Pacers fan, I was disappointed to see him leave but I totally understood it. His last good year was wasted by Paul George breaking his leg and being out for practically the whole season. West also enjoyed the change of roles when he went to the Spurs. He went from being the veteran presence on a young Pacers team to backing up possibly the greatest power forward of all time in Tim Duncan. He has been quoted in articles how much he liked the relief of that leadership burden while learning from the best. It seems like locker room drama and Larry Bird's antics also motivated his departure from the Pacers, and I could see annoyance with being the veteran leader in that circumstance.

By the time he went to the Warriors, he had a choice between supporting a winner or playing some more minutes in the twilight of his career for an also-ran. And of course, as mentioned by 2434, the latter situation likely would have involved losing minutes to young talent that would have taken more and more of his minutes over the course of the season in part due to long-term potential rather than current production. In that context, if money wasn't a major concern (read: past earnings were managed well), it was probably an easy choice.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk