Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yes it's OK to hire coaches aligned with recruits.

Link

Naturally, this development once again led to a debate on social media about whether it should be OK for a school to employ a parent or guardian or coach (or anybody) strictly for the purposes of securing a commitment from a player or two -- as if this kind of thing hasn't been going on for decades. Either way, my opinion remains consistent: Of course it's OK.
    It's OK and mostly smart.
    _____

"He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

It's only going to be okay once Xavier does it. Until then, SHADY!!!

I don't like it. I think it erodes the notion of amateurism -- once again, someone or something else (the NCAA, the school, the program, the family member/coach/family friend) is disproportionately profiting off the kid. But if it's allowed (and it is), then I don't see a problem living by the rules in place so long as it doesn't alter the fabric and culture of the program (about which I still would have concerns).

I think it would be hard to come up with a rule where the unintended consequences and those that it's not intended to impact don't far outweigh those that it is intended to impact. It's my understanding that they have looked at this, and to their credit they've decided that there isn't really a good way to legislate it, so they haven't.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    I think it erodes the notion of amateurism.
    What doesn't? You must really hate college sports then.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I think it would be hard to come up with a rule where the unintended consequences and those that it's not intended to impact don't far outweigh those that it is intended to impact. It's my understanding that they have looked at this, and to their credit they've decided that there isn't really a good way to legislate it, so they haven't.
    Your post made my head hurt. Here is what I think that you thought that you meant: If you don't know how to fix it, leave it broke.

Even if I was wrong about what I thought you were thinking, I still think I believe what I thought you thought.
    No, I be concubining.

Obviously schools hire those connected to good players to secure their commitment and it's kind of shady. But legislating it would be hard, because what do you do when a legitimate circumstance like the McDermotts pops up?

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Obviously schools hire those connected to good players to secure their commitment and it's kind of shady. But legislating it would be hard, because what do you do when a legitimate circumstance like the McDermotts pops up?
    Or the Acres kids back in the old MCC days.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

I have no issue with schools that do this, but I dont really think its worthwhile the majority of the time. I've yet to see a single player turn around a program or make such a significant difference that it'd be worth it to hire his dad/uncle/coach to get him. I would even go so far as to say that recruiting 5 stars is counterproductive if you dont have a plan as to how you're surrounding him with sufficient talent. Ask Jones, Gottfried, Romar, Rice, Smart, Crean, etc how recruiting these players worked out for them

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
    Your post made my head hurt. Here is what I think that you thought that you meant: If you don't know how to fix it, leave it broke.

Even if I was wrong about what I thought you were thinking, I still think I believe what I thought you thought.
    Or if every time you try and fix it you end up making it worse, then leave it the way it is.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White