Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sophomore

Xavier Graduation 2017 and the Big O

Came from Conn for one of my first of 2 graduations this weekend.. Nice ceremony, my daughter was 2 rows behind Rashid Gaston so easy to find her when everyone stood up. Went to Prime 47 for a dinner with family and boyfriend's family(seemed expensive but kind of like a Manhattan steakhouse where I look at menu and walk away). Walked in and took a turn to one of the rooms..who is sitting there but Oscar Robertson and family (daughter he gave kidney to, long time wife..all dressed up nice). I looked at him (my daughter said I looked like I saw a ghost) and said "Sir, I am honored to be in your presence".. he said "Thank you" and we had a supper. The others at table then googled him and were amazed..it made the cost worthwhile. I have recently come to the conclusion that when I look at Dwayne Wade in his prime I see a mirror image of Oscar Robertson..same height, weight, similar game. I will never forget this graduation and it was the second best moment of the weekend. My 60 year old ex hoopster friends were very amazed when I texted a picture taken through the window waiting for his car..no doubt of who it was. Thanks Cincinnati

Oscar once offered me a Montgomery Inn Pulled Pork Sandwich on Fountain Square. Some sort of charity fundraiser event. I declined.

That's all I got to add to this thread.

I was hoping for some sort of NSFW thread about raucous graduation parties, but alas, all I got was a reference about an old UC player.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

I once played in a pick up game with the Big O at the old Y in Clifton? Scored 2 pts. O had about 25 assists. Didn't want to shoot much. It was hilarious. He was great with us. Good story for the grandkids who have no idea who he is.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    Came from Conn for one of my first of 2 graduations this weekend.. Nice ceremony, my daughter was 2 rows behind Rashid Gaston so easy to find her when everyone stood up. Went to Prime 47 for a dinner with family and boyfriend's family(seemed expensive but kind of like a Manhattan steakhouse where I look at menu and walk away). Walked in and took a turn to one of the rooms..who is sitting there but Oscar Robertson and family (daughter he gave kidney to, long time wife..all dressed up nice). I looked at him (my daughter said I looked like I saw a ghost) and said "Sir, I am honored to be in your presence".. he said "Thank you" and we had a supper. The others at table then googled him and were amazed..it made the cost worthwhile. I have recently come to the conclusion that when I look at Dwayne Wade in his prime I see a mirror image of Oscar Robertson..same height, weight, similar game. I will never forget this graduation and it was the second best moment of the weekend. My 60 year old ex hoopster friends were very amazed when I texted a picture taken through the window waiting for his car..no doubt of who it was. Thanks Cincinnati
    Did your newly minted musketeer daughter give him a Go X!
    X A V I E R

Sophomore
    sad to say no..we were deferential to the great man(biggest surprise viewing of my life)

remember in high school sneaking into the Gardens to watch the Royals

Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    sad to say no..we were deferential to the great man(biggest surprise viewing of my life)
    Class move on your part.

You have to wonder what he thinks about the state of college hoops in the Queen City at this point. His Bearcats were dominant for so long, then we got our act together, and, in a rather extraordinary flip of circumstances, took UC's place in a major basketball conference with them being relegated to second-class status, all because of football aspirations.

So, not having your Muskie daughter pound on him with crossed arms and a "Go X!" while he's lunging into an expensive filet was the elegant thing to do. He already experiences enough indigestion over Xavier.
    X A V I E R

Sophomore
    Back when Main Street area in OTR was popular in early 90's I once bellyed up to the bar at Neon's next to the Big O. Took me a minute or two before I realized who it was. He didn't give off a friendly vibe so I finished my beer and left. All I remember was how his butt covered the entire bar stool seat. The man has a big ass!

Quote Originally Posted by cutterX View Post
    Back when Main Street area in OTR was popular in early 90's I once bellyed up to the bar at Neon's next to the Big O. Took me a minute or two before I realized who it was. He didn't give off a friendly vibe so I finished my beer and left. All I remember was how his butt covered the entire bar stool seat. The man has a big ass!
    The big ass and the not too friendly comments I can confirm. Used to play lunchtime basketball with the Big O quite regularly many, many years ago at the Central Parkway Y. His signature move was he would back you half way down the lane with his big ass and then shoot this little turnaround jumper (which he made 9 out of 10 times). These were lunchtime pickup games with business professionals. His team would typically consist of himself, two brand managers, an ad executive and a CPA. He would routinely yell at his teammates like it was the NBA finals.