Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Lavar Ball explains why they are priced at $495. (Link)

On Friday, LaVar was a guest on "The Dan Le Batard Show," and was asked why they decided to charge $495 for the shoes. In typical LaVar fashion, his answer was part confidence, part funny, part simplicity, and a whole lot of boisterous.
    "I figured that's what the shoe was worth," Ball told Le Batard. "I liked the way it sounds. You see, when you are your own owner, you can come up with any price you want."

____

do yourself a favor and follow the link and listen to the LeBetard show segment in the article.... no words.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    I don't think he's bordering on genius at all. His antics have cost his son (and let's be real -- by extension, himself) MILLIONS and that tab will just keep growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Have they though? Yea it may have cost him a deal with Adidas/Nike, but even if BBB can sell 1% of what they would've sold with Adidas/Nike, he's going to be waaaay ahead. His antics have gotten national attention. Twitter was blowing up with BBB yesterday. I can't remember ever seeing a shoe release on twitter before yesterday. I think Lavar knows exactly what he's doing.

Also I don't believe for a second that $495 is going to be a long term price. It's just a ridiculous number to get people talking before it's dropped to something more reasonable. And that strategy looks like it's working.
    Last edited by XMuskieFTW; 05-05-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    Have they though? Yea it may have cost him a deal with Adidas/Nike, but even if BBB can sell 1% of what they would've sold with Adidas/Nike, he's going to be waaaay ahead. His antics have gotten national attention. Twitter was blowing up with BBB yesterday. I can't remember ever seeing a shoe release on twitter before yesterday. I think Lavar knows exactly what he's doing.
    You may be on to something. A shoe deal for a top 10 player is worth a minimum $8-10M/year. At $495, it's reasonable to assume Lavarr is making $250 in profit at least per pair. If he sells 32k shoes per year, he hits that mark excluding those stupid sandals and t-shirts. I did a bit of reading last night at home and learned that BBB is actually really popular in California.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    You may be on to something. A shoe deal for a top 10 player is worth a minimum $8-10M/year. At $495, it's reasonable to assume Lavarr is making $250 in profit at least per pair. If he sells 32k shoes per year, he hits that mark excluding those stupid sandals and t-shirts. I did a bit of reading last night at home and learned that BBB is actually really popular in California.
    Probably more like $400 a pair profit. The shoe mfg cost is probably $20. $75 would cover the rest of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Probably more like $400 a pair profit. The shoe mfg cost is probably $20. $75 would cover the rest of the cost.
    My point is that he might not be that stupid. If it were me, and with the current counter-culture state of our world, I would do exactly what he is doing and shoot for $50 profit per pair. If cost was $100, I would sell for $150 and compete with Nike/Adidas/UA.

I'm going to hold my tongue until I see the numbers. There are more expensive status symbols out there.
    Run the table.

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post

Also I don't believe for a second that $495 is going to be a long term price. It's just a ridiculous number to get people talking before it's dropped to something more reasonable. And that strategy looks like it's working.
    It is truly funny to see people consistently call him an idiot. Ok lol.
    Run the table.

My point is that he might not be that stupid. If it were me, and with the current counter-culture state of our world, I would do exactly what he is doing and shoot for $50 profit per pair. If cost was $100, I would sell for $150 and compete with Nike/Adidas/UA.
    What JTG is trying to tell you is that it costs under 5-10 bucks to make these shoes. Add some more costs for marketing, shipping, etc. and the costs go to like 20-25 that you need to cover your ass on before everything else is profit. Most shoe companies only need a shoe to sell for over 20-35 dollars and everything else is fine so a 495 price gives the guy at a profit well over 400 dollars.

Xavier signing apparel deal with Big Baller Brand? (Likely Not)

I think everyone is underestimating how cheap things are in china.

Actually Vietnam for shoes and apparel.

Once his patterns and design programs are built for the Gerber automatic cutter it's all gravy.

He probably has $1000 per shoe in epoxy based molds for the foam and plastic components per size.

The NGT layout for the cutting of fabrics is probably $250 per size.

Laces and lace grommets are probably off the shelf catalog items so no tooling and these are commoditized and prob $1.50 per shoe total.

Not sure what he paid the designer but assume $10-15k

So with tooling and development he probably has about $30k up front.

I assume BBB doesn't have much over head and he'll utilize third part import groups so just a straight 25% on declared customs value (a guess on what Chinese export VAT and US import taxes are and ocean freight)

Assuming he plans to sell 10k pairs he has $3 in development per shoe, I'd guess $25 material, $8 labor. $9 VAT/tariffs/logistics.

$45 per shoe.
    Last edited by ballyhoohoo; 05-05-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    “Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

BeerBrunch.com for those who like to tip one back in the morning

A shoe deal for a top 10 player is worth a minimum $8-10M/year.
    I'm guessing rookies are 1-1.5 million.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.