Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kentucky Derby

Kentucky Derby

I'm heading back to the 'Ville this weekend for Oaks and Derby, but I haven't seen our old friend Mel with his Derby picks/updates this year. What gives? I need the good info if I'm to break the bank this weekend!

Best part of being at Xavier senior year was going to the Derby, nothing like 4-5 mint juleps after an entire morning of pre-gaming to really get you going. I think I'll dress up on the Caribbean and make an ass of myself yelling "TALK DERBY TO ME" at people who pass me by in good spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Best part of being at Xavier senior year was going to the Derby, nothing like 4-5 mint juleps after an entire morning of pre-gaming to really get you going. I think I'll dress up on the Caribbean and make an ass of myself yelling "TALK DERBY TO ME" at people who pass me by in good spirit.
    I was looking forward to hearing from Mel.......until I read THAT.

Friends, Derby handicapping notes are on the way.

It's a great year for handicapping: clear as stretch mud!

I'll post after post positions are drawn at 11am EST on Wednesday-- I'll even cancel afternoon meetings to make it happen.

In the meantime here are:

If you want an Xpressbet Derby Guide, sign up at the site (free download with email registration) or PM me and I'll get it to you.

Unlike your humble correspondent, the above guys know what they're talking about...

Good Racing Luck!
    Warmly,
    "Mel"

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Cooley XU'81 View Post
    Friends, Derby handicapping notes are on the way.

It's a great year for handicapping: clear as stretch mud!

I'll post after post positions are drawn at 11am EST on Wednesday-- I'll even cancel afternoon meetings to make it happen.

In the meantime here are:

If you want an Xpressbet Derby Guide, sign up at the site (free download with email registration) or PM me and I'll get it to you.

Unlike your humble correspondent, the above guys know what they're talking about...

Good Racing Luck!

Mel, you are much too humble, and you even look like a very wise man! (I think it's the glasses?)

I love hearing Mel's take on the derby!

Mel is always my go to Derby guy. But Wherefore Bourbonman, who always has insights?
    It's a still great day to be a Muskie, but a sad day to be a supporting member of this board.

Drawing the 20th post when your only eye is on the right is not ideal.
    Run the table.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    Drawing the 20th post when your only eye is on the right is not ideal.
    Not as big of a deal as one might think according to the people in the know down here. Heck it might even be an advantage for him in that he won't be able to see all the traffic at the beginning of the race. The scary part would have been if he were slotted in the 1 or 2 post. It is bad enough for a horse with two good eyes. Just to quickly explain, if you look straight ahead from the one or two post out toward the track, a horse in those two posts, actually needs to turn a bit right while everyone else is turning inward or left..thats why those two post positions are so awful for the derby. With one eye, and not being able to really locate the rail, it could have been absolutely tragic to be honest.

XVille speak truth. More later . . .
    Warmly,
    "Mel"