Junior

Xavier vs " the Butler Way"

Had lunch with my son today, and eventually the topic of XU basketball came up. He had experience as a student at both X and Butler, but was raised a Xavier diehard. He said some folks consider Xavier to be dirty. I said" isn't that just a Butler view"?
    To which he replied, Dad, dont you know all the Butler players go to church every morning before practice, then spend the rest of the day studying.
    We both burst out laughing. Yeah, that's pretty much the way they and their fans view themselves.

Isn't Butler the only non Catholic Big East school?

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Isn't Butler the only non Catholic Big East school?
    Yes, but other denominations have churches.

Like many private schools, started as/with a a seminary, which eventually broke off in the 50s. I though it was associated with Methodism for a long time, then discovered it has a non denominational charter. Strong Dissenter roots, which could explain culturally the antipathy to Catholic schools.

And yet......there is a Newman Center on campus, with a web site that claims that 1000 of 5200 Butler students are Catholic.
    It's a still great day to be a Muskie, but a sad day to be a supporting member of this board.