Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    No way they are allowed to play there if they are host right? How could they mess that up?

I thought the 3 game limit thing only came into play when a school was NOT the host, like Nova in Philly.
    I'm guessing that the guy/girl running the twitter account isn't clear on the rule (probably someone in Sports Info) but the administrators are. Although, It is fun to imagine that they don't know the rule.

A "home floor" has always been defined as a floor that you play more than three games on not counting the conference tournaments. The years that the tournament was in Philly, Nova was not hosting, and they simply scheduled all but three of their games at the Pavilion so they could play at the Wachovia Center (or whatever the hell they're calling it these days).

But, no. If you're hosting, you cannot play at the site you are hosting even if it is not your home court. That's been the rule for close to thirty years.
    Last edited by xubrew; 04-18-2017 at 03:16 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    That's why the only options are either letting Miami or NKU (or the American/MAC/Horizon) host those games.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I'm guessing that the guy/girl running the twitter account isn't clear on the rule (probably someone in Sports Info) but the administrators are. Although, It is fun to imagine that they don't know the rule.

A "home floor" has always been defined as a floor that you play more than three games on not counting the conference tournaments. The years that the tournament was in Philly, Nova was not hosting, and they simply scheduled all but three of their games at the Pavilion so they could play at the Wachovia Center (or whatever the hell they're calling it these days).

But, no. If you're hosting, you cannot play at the site you are hosting even if it is not your home court. That's been the rule for close to thirty years.
    1987 was the last year teams were allowed to host early-round games (i.e. DePaul at what was then the Rosemont Horizon). 1992 was the last year Cincinnati hosted NCAA Tournament games - that was back when Ohio State was the #1 seed in the Southeast region. Even Miami got to play a game there against North Carolina in the first round.

I forget the year, but Xavier did put in an unsuccessful bid to host early round games at USBank Arena last decade.

What is the purpose of being the host team for a court that is not your home court? Does UC bank the money from ticket sales?

All-Conference
    Behind program success is PEOPLE. People that make DECISIONS to put their programs in the best place to succeed. THIS is the problem at UC. It's a slap in the face to the administration and coaches at Xavier to say Xavier's continued success over UC's struggles was just dumb luck. The people made it that way...bottom line, we have better talent at Xavier.

From the players, to the Presidents, to the ADs, to the coaches, to the asst coaches, to the Directors of Basketball Ops that do the traveling and scheduling. Maybe UC should re-evaluate that, as this is just ANOTHER example of their own incompetence that prohibits them from being what they once were.

Nope - all the ticket money goes straight to the NCAA. It's solely name recognition.

At least that's what I remember Brian Colleary (the old Duquesne AD) used to say when Duquesne hosted NCAA Tournament games at the old Mellon Arena.

This thread got me thinking... does anyone know what benefit a school gets from hosting? Share of the gate or something?

Edit: I'm slow.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    Nope - all the ticket money goes straight to the NCAA. It's solely name recognition.

At least that's what I remember Brian Colleary (the old Duquesne AD) used to say when Duquesne hosted NCAA Tournament games at the old Mellon Arena.
    Seems strange to want to host then. Xavier clearly can benefit more from this than UC can.

Quote Originally Posted by X-ceptional View Post
    This thread got me thinking... does anyone know what benefit a school gets from hosting? Share of the gate or something?

Edit: I'm slow.
    There isn't one. Anyone who does it is basically agreeing to be the NCAA's wait staff while doing all of the work and all of the event management, and there is absolutely nothing in return.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    There isn't one. Anyone who does it is basically agreeing to be the NCAA's wait staff while doing all of the work and all of the event management, and there is absolutely nothing in return.
    I think potentially playing in your hometown is a huge benefit!
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens