Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    Streetcar!

Oops, wrong thread.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by XUMIOH12 View Post
    I don't think he was referring to how it should be financed; just saying that having a modern stadium with no major tenants is a viable option.
    Exactly. It has been proven to work. Does that mean it will work? Who knows. But it can work.

Public funding is a totally different argument.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    That may be a better way of putting it. Manufacturers often get significant tax subsidies to build factories and move operations into locales. Public-assisted financing of sports/entertainment venues are of the same ilk. I think it's fair to question the degree to which the public should participate. But I think the "no participation" side is a reactionary swing of the pendulum too far to the opposite direction.
    Agree. It's not an all or nothing question in my mind, but more of a how much.

Since I live in NOKY, there is little or no chance that I would pay any significant amount of tax money to finance a new arena in Ohio. But having said that, I don't see why anyone should be taxed so that a business with a net worth of around 12 BILLION dollars would get any financial aid to build a facility that cost them 300-400 MILLION dollars. It's not like they couldn't borrow the money themselves, is it? Neither the county or the city has any extra money to spend and it's going to be damn near impossible to get any additional taxes passed IMO, so I think it's a moot point anyway.

Cincinnati to host first and second round games in 2022

I agree that the teams should be able to build their own stadiums / arenas and not need the taxpayers to foot the bill. There are other kinds of incentives localities can give. Unfortunately, as soon as one city or county says they'll build it, everyone else is forced to compete with that or risk losing the team.

I'd love to see a requirement that if the taxpayers build the facility, the franchise must open their books to the public. Of course, the leagues will never let that happen. Can't have a team claiming they can't afford to pay rent and maintenance when their financials show they're making millions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    It's also possible that renovations are in order for USBank Arena by 2022 - that also could have been a condition for hosting.
    That ain't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    A friend of mine emailed me saying that UC was too dumb to realize that they weren't allowed to play at US Bank. I just thought he was joking.

Holy shit that's hilarious!! They ACTUALLY thought they were allowed to play at US Bank.

Well, now they're stuck doing all of the event management for free, and not getting to travel with their own team if they make the tournament. WELL DONE UC!!!
    I forgot about that gem from UC.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    They also raised car-rental taxes in Kansas City - that's something that isn't quite as skewed to out-of-towners as hotel taxes would be.

Even though voters really shouldn't approve another sales tax increase, sales tax rates in Ohio (and the area in general) aren't as high as they are in other parts of the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by xu95 View Post
    I love the Sprint Center. It seems like I am there all the time. It is also in the Power and Light District which is a great restraurant/bar area. Very similar to the Banks.

Sprint Center always has events. I agree a permanent tenant might be more of a hinderance than a benefit.

Who in Cincinnati wouldn't love to go out to dinner at the Yard House or Ruths Chris and then walk down the street to see a concert. it would be great for the city.

Make it happen already.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    I agree that the teams should be able to build their own stadiums / arenas and not need the taxpayers to foot the bill. There are other kinds of incentives localities can give. Unfortunately, as soon as one city or county says they'll build it, everyone else is forced to compete with that or risk losing the team.

I'd love to see a requirement that if the taxpayers build the facility, the franchise must open their books to the public. Of course, the leagues will never let that happen. Can't have a team claiming they can't afford to pay rent and maintenance when their financials show they're making millions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But no, the folks who owned the arena thought that NCAA 1st/2nd round games would convince the local taxpayers to finance the arena themselves. Instead, votes raised middle fingers with both hands. At least the games are going to Indy instead. It's not Dayton and that is a win-win.

They should honestly just tear down US Bank or whatever it’s called these days.

Put the real estate to better use.

Looks like the Orlando Invitational will be staying in Orlando (no fans l would assume). Seems 7 other early season tournaments are moving there as well.

Edit: wrong thread. Thought I was in Orlando Invitational.
    Last edited by noteggs; 09-15-2020 at 05:01 PM.