Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by THRILLHOUSE View Post
    US Bank Arena owner claims their plan is to completely tear it down and build a brand new arena. Yeah sure, that'll happen...

http://www.wcpo.com/sports/college-s...r-ncaa-tourney
    I have no idea who pays for a new/renovated US Bank, but this city desperately needs a modern arena. The current dump is being spurned on a regular basis by events that would mean a great deal of revenue for city businesses. It is VERY hard to justify the expense of a new venue without a permanent tenant, but I really hope they can make this happen in time to host tourney games in 5 years.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

I get that it would be nice to have a modern downtown arena in Cincinnati, but you've already got the Cintas Center, the newly remodeled 5/3 Arena (coming soon) and the relatively new BB&T Arenas in the area. The area is already long arenas.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    I have no idea who pays for a new/renovated US Bank, but this city desperately needs a modern arena. The current dump is being spurned on a regular basis by events that would mean a great deal of revenue for city businesses. It is VERY hard to justify the expense of a new venue without a permanent tenant, but I really hope they can make this happen in time to host tourney games in 5 years.
    I always thought UC should play downtown. Seemed like a no-brainer with the Banks now, but then I saw they were spending all that money to fix their Shoe dump. So what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I always thought UC should play downtown. Seemed like a no-brainer with the Banks now, but then I saw they were spending all that money to fix their Shoe dump. So what do I know.
    I could see Nederlander and AEG fronting most of the cost, with some limited public funding -- similar to how MSG bought and renovated The Forum in Los Angeles. If they do, given their core competencies, I would expect to see the arena optimized primarily for concerts (again, much like The Forum).

Junior
    A new arena would probably run $400 million. Without a permanent NBA or NHL tenant that's financial suicide. Lots of money to spend for 6 basketball games 4 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    A new arena would probably run $400 million. Without a permanent NBA or NHL tenant that's financial suicide. Lots of money to spend for 6 basketball games 4 years from now.
    The Forum doesn't have any sports at all, and it has no anchor tenant. It is used exclusively as a concert venue. Looks like it's used about 4 times/month, give or take. Granted, it's Los Angeles. I wouldn't say an independent facility is not sustainable, but they would need to be very aggressive on the bookings.

You don't need a major tenant to have a profitable arena. Not having a tenant to schedule around actually opens up more days for more events. Just look at how building an arena with public money and no major tenant is working out for Kansas City.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/ed...le4645824.html

Also that WCPO article headline is pure clickbait. The plan Nederlander wants to do is the same one they announced a couple years ago: a $200-$300 million renovation of US Bank that would basically build a new arena using the current ones structure.

Getting an actual modern day arena would be huge for Cincinnati. We'd get a ton of concerts, acts and events that currently skip over us because of how bad US Bank is. Getting some of the older idiots in this city to vote for it though is a huge issue. Even if they simply raised hotel taxes (aka out of towners would pay for it as opposed to a city wide sales tax increase for the Reds and Bengals stadium) I still doubt the population here would vote for it.
    Last edited by ThrowDownDBrown; 04-19-2017 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThrowDownDBrown View Post
    You don't need a major tenant to have a profitable arena. Not having a tenant to schedule around actually opens up more days for more events. Just look at how building an arena with public money and no major tenant is working out for Kansas City.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/ed...le4645824.html

Also that WCPO article headline is pure clickbait. The plan Nederlander wants to do is the same one they announced a couple years ago: a $200-$300 million renovation of US Bank that would basically build a new arena using the current ones structure.
    Yeah they got to gut the whole damn place considering the suites are all the way at the roof and not at the bottom or mid level like most modern arenas.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Yeah they got to gut the whole damn place considering the suites are all the way at the roof and not at the bottom or mid level like most modern arenas.
    Yes and that's still way cheaper then building a brand new one.

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    Baltimore is in the same predicament.