Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrowDownDBrown View Post
    You don't need a major tenant to have a profitable arena. Not having a tenant to schedule around actually opens up more days for more events. Just look at how building an arena with public money and no major tenant is working out for Kansas City.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/ed...le4645824.html

Also that WCPO article headline is pure clickbait. The plan Nederlander wants to do is the same one they announced a couple years ago: a $200-$300 million renovation of US Bank that would basically build a new arena using the current ones structure.

Getting an actual modern day arena would be huge for Cincinnati. We'd get a ton of concerts, acts and events that currently skip over us because of how bad US Bank is. Getting some of the older idiots in this city to vote for it though is a huge issue. Even if they simply raised hotel taxes (aka out of towners would pay for it as opposed to a city wide sales tax increase for the Reds and Bengals stadium) I still doubt the population here would vote for it.
    They also raised car-rental taxes in Kansas City - that's something that isn't quite as skewed to out-of-towners as hotel taxes would be.

Even though voters really shouldn't approve another sales tax increase, sales tax rates in Ohio (and the area in general) aren't as high as they are in other parts of the country.

I hope they can figure it out, but I would vote against using public money. If they do a nice job with the renovations, I think they could easily siphon away major concerts from Louisville and elsewhere and ultimately turn a profit. The location is amazing.

If they do go the public route, I hope it's some sort of deal where the city/county gets a share of revenue and makes some/most of the money back down the road.

One positive factor for Cincy is that a renovated US Bank Arena would be "newer" than comparable facilities in neighboring cities, making it more attractive to concerts and the like. Perhaps being last to the game wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by X-band '01 View Post
    They also raised car-rental taxes in Kansas City - that's something that isn't quite as skewed to out-of-towners as hotel taxes would be.

Even though voters really shouldn't approve another sales tax increase, sales tax rates in Ohio (and the area in general) aren't as high as they are in other parts of the country.
    The only problem with car rental taxes is most of them come from the airport and ours is located in a different state. Our hotel rates and our hotel tax is lower the pretty much all of our competitor cities so raising that would only put us more toward the regional average. I definitely agree with Fella though in that if the city puts up any money they should get a cut of the profits as well. I would think the US Bank owners would be open to that since they operate other venues in that way.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    That is a fair point, but at the same time I'm talking mostly about a local need for rental cars (not for out-of-towners who also pay extra "facility" fees when they rent from an airport location).

One Wisconsin guy said Orlando was nice, but Austin and San Diego were VERY nice. His absolute favorite was Nashville, where we have a condo for our son and grandson (with extra room for us!). Nashville happens to have the first two rounds next year! Atlanta has the south regional, so I'm praying for a miraculous run!

OK, that time I was kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by fellahmuskie View Post
    I hope they can figure it out, but I would vote against using public money. If they do a nice job with the renovations, I think they could easily siphon away major concerts from Louisville and elsewhere and ultimately turn a profit. The location is amazing.

If they do go the public route, I hope it's some sort of deal where the city/county gets a share of revenue and makes some/most of the money back down the road.

One positive factor for Cincy is that a renovated US Bank Arena would be "newer" than comparable facilities in neighboring cities, making it more attractive to concerts and the like. Perhaps being last to the game wouldn't be such a bad thing.
    I'd vote for public monies to be spent if and only if they gave Hamilton County or City of Cincinnati residents (depending upon who's taxed) a break on tickets, memberships etc. Chicago does this. If you're a Cook County resident you get a lower fare for museums, tickets, etc. It's an inexpensive way to thank the voters and, quite frankly, it's just good PR. You're less likely to get push back when you want that levy renewal.
    Xavier Basketball: We're Not Scared of Anyone!
    Zip Em Up!

All-Conference
    Sh*t, if they're going to spend $200M, why not knock the damn thing down and start over? BB&T cost $64M and the YUM center cost $238M. Why not just tear it down and land somewhere in between?

My top secret sources tell me that US Bank owners are threatening to simply tear down the arena and then develop the land for some other use unless city/county agree to help pay for construction of a new arena.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    My top secret sources tell me that US Bank owners are threatening to simply tear down the arena and then develop the land for some other use unless city/county agree to help pay for construction of a new arena.
    Wouldn't simply tearing down the arena be considered an upgrade?
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Wouldn't simply tearing down the arena be considered an upgrade?
    Yes, yes it would.
    Zip'em Up!