Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Fox19 -
    NCAA Bid Contingent on USBank Arena Being Renovated by 2022

In other words, this could go up in smoke if the USBank Arena brass can't find a way to get the arena renovated by then. There's virtually no chance they'll get public funding after the Paul Brown Stadium disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    You guys are funny slamming UC like this, as if that was the motivator for them hosting.

It was Cincinnati USA Sports Commission who made the submission. That group is made of lots of people various groups, including the city and, yes, UC, which is invested in the whole region growing economically.

Jackie Reau, an old schoolmate, is one of the top people for the Commission. Her company is Game Day Communications, who help put together Flying Pig, the NCAA hockey bid, and all sorts of other large scale events -- sports and otherwise.

I'm sure UC would want this for the city even if the Bearcats can't play there.
    I think it's actually quite hilarious that UC was tweeting out that they were going to be able to play there. I realize that pretty much everyone who actually had anything to do with this decision realizes that UC cannot play there (in fact there is no way they don't know that), and it's just the person who is manning twitter that's confused, but it's still funny, and it looks even funnier because it was the official twitter account.

I mean, we've all done it. I think we've all been wrong about something, and have even argued about something, that was pretty much common knowledge to everyone else. And, we've all probably been slammed for doing it. So, there ya go.
    Last edited by xubrew; 04-18-2017 at 08:31 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Nashville has the firsts couple rounds next year. The Wisconsin guys in Orlando, doing this for decades, say San Diego and Austin are great, but Nashville is their all-time favorite. Nashville is only 3.5-4 hours from us, and we have a condo their for my son (with an extra bedroom for us). I'm praying X starts their Final Four run their. The South Regional is then here in Atlanta. Could I be that lucky?

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I've heard the "exposure" argument from schools who want to host the NCAA Tournament, and I just don't think it really gives you any exposure at all. People are conscious of the games. Not who's hosting them. Just my opinion, of course. You get this little itty bitty logo of your school on the floor, and it's in a spot that unless you knew it was there you wouldn't notice it.
    I think the exposure is worth it. Consider that there are going to be a certain percentage of high school juniors and seniors watching the events on TV who might have UC as school on their list of college considerations. When they see that school is the host of the NCAA tournament, it just might be what pushes them in the direction to apply. Call it pride of being involved with a cool event or whatever, people want to think that they are connecting with bigger things that get talked about nationally...and this does that in a way that's very visible, if only for those students and parents considering options for college.

Heck, just thinking that cool sports stuff like this is happening in Cincinnati opens up ideas for all sorts of sports nuts of thinking about where they want to live, work, or go to school, just to have options like that to enjoy life. It's why living in Cincinnati is so much nicer than Lima or Youngstown or so many other small cities that don't have the cool stuff we have around here.

I think it's far more important for the city than any school.

All-Conference
    I think it's far more important for Xavier to play there, and UC to get shipped to Spokane. Literally, that would be amazing, and so g*d d*mn funny.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    I think the exposure is worth it. Consider that there are going to be a certain percentage of high school juniors and seniors watching the events on TV who might have UC as school on their list of college considerations. When they see that school is the host of the NCAA tournament, it just might be what pushes them in the direction to apply. Call it pride of being involved with a cool event or whatever, people want to think that they are connecting with bigger things that get talked about nationally...and this does that in a way that's very visible, if only for those students and parents considering options for college.

Heck, just thinking that cool sports stuff like this is happening in Cincinnati opens up ideas for all sorts of sports nuts of thinking about where they want to live, work, or go to school, just to have options like that to enjoy life. It's why living in Cincinnati is so much nicer than Lima or Youngstown or so many other small cities that don't have the cool stuff we have around here.
    Nobody knows who the host schools are. If I put 100 people in a room that watched every single NCAA Tournament game and asked them to name the sites and the hosts, I'd bet that at least 95 of them would not be able to do it. If I were to put 100 high school juniors and seniors in a room and ask the same question, I bet none of them would be able to do it.

People care about who plays in the NCAA Tournament. Not who hosts it. Almost no one reading this knows that Grand Canyon hosted the Final Four. You know just how few people knew that?? Almost know one who read the previous sentence and that's still reading this now know that Grand Canyon DIDN'T host the Final Four. It was Arizona State. Or, was it? You don't know, and that's my point, and this was the Final Four! If you're not PLAYING, you're not exposed. Hell, XU82 went to he games in Orlando, and he didn't even know who was hosting the thing. The vast majority of the people who went to the game probably didn't know it either.
    Last edited by xubrew; 04-18-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Fully disclose of my ignorance, I didn't even know there was a host school. Why would I? There's almost no clue! A few markings on the court could be leftovers, but either way go totally unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Fully disclose of my ignorance, I didn't even know there was a host school. Why would I? There's almost no clue! A few markings on the court could be leftovers, but either way go totally unnoticed.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    The NCAA Tournament ended less than three weeks ago. Do you even remember half of the locations, or more specifically the schools/conferences that hosted them? Do you know which school hosted the Final Four without looking it up?

I'm not calling you out. Just trying to make a point. I've heard the "exposure" argument from schools who want to host the NCAA Tournament, and I just don't think it really gives you any exposure at all. People are conscious of the games. Not who's hosting them. Just my opinion, of course. You get this little itty bitty logo of your school on the floor, and it's in a spot that unless you knew it was there you wouldn't notice it.
    Brew, I wasn't talking about exposure for the schools, it was more for the city. Thus the comment on kick backs and the impact on the local economy
    Balls of Steele!!