Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Jones had some injury trouble this year, both he an O'Mara had some issues with fouls as well at times...this just seems like an insurance policy to me. Lets KJ take a redshirt year and gives us an extra big in the rotation.

I wouldn't be the slightest bit concerned if I was Sean or Tyrique. If they play the way they did at the end of the year, Kanter would be the odd guy out.

I don't think 5 bigs is all that many, especially when 2 of them only have one year of eligibility left. I also don't really take this as a sign that Big K is going to be ineligible or that he won't be coming to X. I mean maybe that happens, but K. Jones' playing time was going to be pretty limited behind O'Mara and T. Jones anyway, then figure it out with Ernst. So I'm not too sure that bringing in Kanter really changes things too much from that perspective.

Not to mention, he's got the nickname Big K for a reason--isn't he pushing 3 bills? Might not be bad for him to have a year of limited playing time, shed a few pounds and then be ready to go the following year. I don't know, just a though.

Sophomore
    OK, forgot about Ernst. I'm back to not quite understanding this move. Especially when we're likely gonna need to replace the 3-shooting from Trevon and Malcolm, and we were a pretty bad 3 shooting team even with them, really could've used a SG.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanblockXU View Post
    He was used very little to start the season but was being played as much as 30 minutes a game in conference play.

He is really slow up and down the court and in the Horizon, he rarely had a guy who he could guard. There are just 5 guys in the Horizon who are his size or taller and most didn't log a ton of minutes.

Teams like NKU played small ball and a lot of the other teams in the league did as well. You can only really play him when you have a true big for him to guard, other wise he would be a defensive nightmare (like his brother).

Xavier now has 5 bigs (Jones, Ernest, Kanter, Omara, K. Jones). Thats a lot of bigs, maybe K.Jones ends up not coming to X because of the Academic issues.
    I'm looking at his game log, and it really varied up and down all year long. There's really no rhyme or reason to it based on part of the season. It must have been based on matchups. As to NKU, he played 29 minutes at NKU, scoring 23 points and grabbing 14 boards. I have no idea how his defense was, but NKU scored 69 points and won by 2. So that was a pretty good overall performance for UWGB.

Honestly, I see this guy as someone good to have on the roster for practice. He may not be the level of competition Omara, Jones, or others might face on opposing Big East squads, but at least he's a big body that will compete in practice and hopefully make others better.

If we see someone winded or in foul trouble, I'm sure he can play a few minutes. And maybe his drive to reach the NBA will awaken something in him to really go for it, which could be a plus for X.

I've got more questions about what is this dude gonna study as a grad student? Is the university wondering if he's NBA bound or getting ready for the rigorous coursework he's stepping up for?

I think that Gonzaga had several players that were 6'10" or better, and that depth was a deciding factor in how they advanced through the tourney. I'm also not worried that much about his 1-1 defense, as X certainly played a lot of zone this past year and may well do the same next year. This certainly give X some experience in the center position that the other newcomers do not posses and that's valuable in a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    Honestly, I see this guy as someone good to have on the roster for practice. He may not be the level of competition Omara, Jones, or others might face on opposing Big East squads, but at least he's a big body that will compete in practice and hopefully make others better.

If we see someone winded or in foul trouble, I'm sure he can play a few minutes. And maybe his drive to reach the NBA will awaken something in him to really go for it, which could be a plus for X.

I've got more questions about what is this dude gonna study as a grad student? Is the university wondering if he's NBA bound or getting ready for the rigorous coursework he's stepping up for?
    Horticulture with Tre.... oh too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    Horticulture with Tre.... oh too soon?
    public reps

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post

What??? haha I'm sorry, but I find this post amusing