Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    3-1 is fools gold. Their staring pitching/rotation right now is in need of Desclafani and Bailey in a big way.

I like the bullpen and think that if they can hit a little better than last year they could win 75-80 games. A repeat of last year by Duval would be huge. Joey being more consistent this year is a also huge. A better first two months is critical in order for them not to get way behind early.

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    They are on pace for 107 wins, you set that bar pretty low....
    Not anymore. Reds are now on pace to win 121.5 games.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    3-1 is fools gold. Their staring pitching/rotation right now is in need of Desclafani and Bailey in a big way.

I like the bullpen and think that if they can hit a little better than last year they could win 75-80 games. A repeat of last year by Duval would be huge. Joey being more consistent this year is a also huge. A better first two months is critical in order for them not to get way behind early.
    Joey Votto is just about the most consistent player in baseball. And the best hitter the Reds will have in my lifetime.

I'm sure you'll respond with how bad his 1st half was last year and completely disregard the historically good 2nd half he had.

Only Cincinnati fans could whine about Joey Votto. It's legitimately mind boggling.
    Last edited by GetUp5; 04-08-2017 at 01:20 PM.

It's almost as if Bronson sucks now and maybe we should give the young guys who are in the bullpen, i.e. Stephenson, a chance to start at the major league level.

Quote Originally Posted by GetUp5 View Post
    Joey Votto is just about the most consistent player in baseball. And the best hitter the Reds will have in my lifetime.

I'm sure you'll respond with how bad his 1st half was last year and completely disregard the historically good 2nd half he had.

Only Cincinnati fans could whine about Joey Votto. It's legitimately mind boggling.
    Lighten up there big fella. I simply said he struggled early last year. He's so important to this team and their margin for error is razor thin.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Lighten up there big fella. I simply said he struggled early last year. He's so important to this team and their margin for error is razor thin.
    There's not really a margin for error. They aren't going to compete this season.

My point is that Reds fans love to point the finger at Votto and spout off with the "He's overpaid, you can't rebuild with a guy making $20M" BS.

There's not really a margin for error. They aren't going to compete this season.

My point is that Reds fans love to point the finger at Votto and spout off with the "He's overpaid, you can't rebuild with a guy making $20M" BS.
    I agree he's not overpaid. I also agree that he's a great hitter, including his ability to get on base.

That said, and based on where this team is right now, I would prefer if he could be traded and his salary used for other, multiple, and younger players.

And the Reds are on pace to win 97 games this year. "So there's a chance?"

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I agree he's not overpaid. I also agree that he's a great hitter, including his ability to get on base.

That said, and based on where this team is right now, I would prefer if he could be traded and his salary used for other, multiple, and younger players.

And the Reds are on pace to win 97 games this year. "So there's a chance?"
    The Reds had the highest payroll in the NL Central a few years ago. If they can actually do this rebuild correctly then in a few years they can make another run with Votto still being a useful player. The best part of Votto is that his skills set up well to still be there as he gets older.

Young players have pretty controlled salaries on their rookie wage scale and then they're in arbitration which also suppress wages. What is killing the Reds is dead money in Homer and Mesoraco. If they can actually see the field then it's a different story. The Reds can afford to be competitive, not outspend, but spend competitively with the rest of the division. They just can't afford to hand out big contracts to guys who don't see the field. The margin for error isn't there like it is for the Cubs or Cardinals.

I'm one of Votto's biggest supporters, and I think if the Reds were better, he'd be consistently called an "all-time great" by the sports media. I hope he stays on the team and helps us rebuild. But you gotta admit, he was not consistent last year. The fact that you split his season into two halves is evidence of that. In the second half, when Votto was amazing, the Reds had one of the best records in baseball. If we get a consistent Votto, who can give us high level production all season, this team could actually turn a corner this year. I'm not even saying we would make the playoffs, just that, at some point, we gotta start getting better instead of getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by MauriceX View Post
    I'm one of Votto's biggest supporters, and I think if the Reds were better, he'd be consistently called an "all-time great" by the sports media. I hope he stays on the team and helps us rebuild. But you gotta admit, he was not consistent last year. The fact that you split his season into two halves is evidence of that. In the second half, when Votto was amazing, the Reds had one of the best records in baseball. If we get a consistent Votto, who can give us high level production all season, this team could actually turn a corner this year. I'm not even saying we would make the playoffs, just that, at some point, we gotta start getting better instead of getting worse.
    His "inconsistency" last year was completely overstated. He had one bad month, one above average month, and 4 insanely good months. People actually need to look at this shit before they run with narratives.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...&year=2016&t=b