Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Butler County Steak Fry (June 21, 2017)

Ridder was compared to Brad Redford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Ridder was compared to Brad Redford.

Elite shooter, probably will never even be an average defender, limited skillset otherwise (relative to the high-D1 level). Yeah, I can see it. You would switch out the secondary skills to match the respective positions.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    Elite shooter, probably will never even be an average defender, limited skillset otherwise (relative to the high-D1 level). Yeah, I can see it. You would switch out the secondary skills to match the respective positions.

But doesn't he have a half foot on Brad, lessening the chances of a broken nose when it gets slapped back at him? And he at least tries to attack the rim in HS. He had a better handle than I expected, based on a little YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    But doesn't he have a half foot on Brad, lessening the chances of a broken nose when it gets slapped back at him? And he at least tries to attack the rim in HS. He had a better handle than I expected, based on a little YouTube.
    Remember that Brad in high school mixtapes put the ball on the floor too. Ridder does have decent handles for a shoot-first combo forward, though.

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    Remember that Brad in high school mixtapes put the ball on the floor too. Ridder does have decent handles for a shoot-first combo forward, though.

Just the option to attack should help. (I hope!)

I heard a story from a reliable source who attended, where Mack spoke with Ridder recently. Ridder told him he had just finished shooting 575 3's, and made 82% of them. Mack told him let's see how you do when your guarded.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by nuts4xu View Post
    I heard a story from a reliable source who attended, where Mack spoke with Ridder recently. Ridder told him he had just finished shooting 575 3's, and made 82% of them. Mack told him let's see how you do when your guarded.
    This story is 100% true- straight from CMack's mouth.

Because Ridder was the only guy whose high school graduated early, he was the only one on campus in 1st summer session. Everyone else shows up this weekend. The Ridder story is even better because he was in the Cintas practice gym at like 2 in the morning shooting the 575 shots, then texted Mack who gave him the let's see when you're guarded comeback.

I love the way our coach interacts with his players.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Beer was flowing all evening

Grilled steak or chicken dinner for about 250 Xavier fans – inside air conditioned multi-purpose area which hosted a volleyball camp just an hour and half prior (i.e. great work by Keven Pater and those responsible for the event).

After dinner, there was a very nice program giving Xavier athletic updates

Greg Christopher spoke briefly about a few items … seat selection and Cintas improvements, Baseball winning the Big East and it’s new coach, Billy O’Connor.

Coach Brian Neal spoke briefly on the WBB program, the new coaches, and said something about each of the incoming freshman

Coach Mack first received a standing ovation when he got up to speak. The vibe in the room all evening was very optimistic. So far (knock on wood), there hasn’t been off-season drama and we all know we have an elite 8 team with valuable returning players and promising recruits. Chris also focused on each of the incoming recruits and gave a fairly honest initial assessment of each. The jump from high school to college is always huge and Chris thought there would be a couple freshman who will make the transition a bit easier than might be typical. There were a handful of questions and answers.

A couple other tidbits ...

Coach Mack and Pete Rose are becoming texting buds. (funny story Chris told to open)

The after-event goal was for his two girls to catch Miami River catfish on dough-balls despite Lainee's busted, recovering knee cap (Chris described the fracture was barely barely visible and exchanged some joking sassy-frass looks with his daughter)

Fun to see and meet other posters and speak with Andy Mac, Byron and Joe, Sr. Rose, Luke Murray, and a few others from Xavier. Others should add some of the tidbits they heard from Chris and the questions.

Beer flow eventually stopped as evening turned to night

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Big K has one class to complete this summer before he comes to campus.

While that is positive news, I assume that he still has some additional NCAA hurdles to clear before he is eligible to play next season, right? What did Mack say about Big K???
    "Xavier born and Xavier bred, and when I am gone I will be Xavier Dead!"
    NJ!NP! 8/30/12

Quote Originally Posted by Lamont Sanford View Post
    While that is positive news, I assume that he still has some additional NCAA hurdles to clear before he is eligible to play next season, right? What did Mack say about Big K???
    Mack thought K would be able to finish the one class and he'd be fully qualified. The other players show up very soon on campus (this week) and participate in the 2nd summer academic session, work out, and participated in the limited allowed coach-player interactions.