Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: NBA Mock Drafts

I'm so happy for Ed and wish him a speedy recovery.

Really really happy for Ed.. Was gonna be crushed if someone didn't take him on his potential after all the crap he's gone through

Obviously always cheering for X guys to succeed post X, but really wanna see it work out for Ed. He'll always be one of the biggest "what ifs" in X history had he not gotten hurt. Selfishly I'm not ready to stop watching him yet haha. Glad he's going to Indy, they'll have the patience there for him and he'll get great treatment

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    Maybe for a couple guys a year. But mostly this is really, really wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Here is a good article on why he is probably right actually, at least for the middle to back half of the 2nd round selections:

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...-beyond-repair

Right now, it makes far more sense for a player to go undrafted than to be selected in the back half of the NBA draft's second round—what some agents have started calling the "dead zone."

Money-wise, going undrafted is also a better deal. In 2015, 26 undrafted rookies received guaranteed money to go to camp with a team, at an average of $96,730 per player. If you take out Duje Dukan and Maurice Ndour, both of whom signed a fully guaranteed deal for one year, the average is still $61,042 per undrafted rookie to get a camp invite. Thanks to the NBA's rising cap, those numbers have only gone up this offseason, with borderline prospects like Stefan Jankovic and Bryn Forbes already getting six-figure guarantees.

Interesting perspective from Fred VanVleet:

"There were some offers, and teams called on draft night," the former Wichita State point guard Fred VanVleet said about deciding against this option while at Summer League with the Raptors. "I had a good sense before the draft of where I was going to be or what was going to happen. Pretty much, though, the second half of the draft, most of those guys are draft-and-stash guys, and they tell you, 'We're going to put you in the D-League for three to four years' or 'We're going to put you overseas.' Getting my name called was important, but it wasn't important enough for someone to own me with no chance of making the team and no chance of having options."
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Here is a good article on why he is probably right actually, at least for the middle to back half of the 2nd round selections:

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...-beyond-repair

Right now, it makes far more sense for a player to go undrafted than to be selected in the back half of the NBA draft's second round—what some agents have started calling the "dead zone."

Money-wise, going undrafted is also a better deal. In 2015, 26 undrafted rookies received guaranteed money to go to camp with a team, at an average of $96,730 per player. If you take out Duje Dukan and Maurice Ndour, both of whom signed a fully guaranteed deal for one year, the average is still $61,042 per undrafted rookie to get a camp invite. Thanks to the NBA's rising cap, those numbers have only gone up this offseason, with borderline prospects like Stefan Jankovic and Bryn Forbes already getting six-figure guarantees.

Interesting perspective from Fred VanVleet:

"There were some offers, and teams called on draft night," the former Wichita State point guard Fred VanVleet said about deciding against this option while at Summer League with the Raptors. "I had a good sense before the draft of where I was going to be or what was going to happen. Pretty much, though, the second half of the draft, most of those guys are draft-and-stash guys, and they tell you, 'We're going to put you in the D-League for three to four years' or 'We're going to put you overseas.' Getting my name called was important, but it wasn't important enough for someone to own me with no chance of making the team and no chance of having options."
    I'm with everything they're saying here but for Ed's specific case I think it's better he got drafted. Now he's with an organization and can rehab under their facilities and oversight. If he went undrafted, I could see (but in no way know) most of the league just telling him, "We'll call you when you're healthy." And the Pacers are also rebuilding, and will be even more so after this season when PG is gone and Ed is healthier, and should give Ed a better chance to make the roster.

If I'm way off on this, someone please correct me, but those are my semi-educated thoughts.

Oh, and f*ck the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I'm with everything they're saying here but for Ed's specific case I think it's better he got drafted. Now he's with an organization and can rehab under their facilities and oversight. If he went undrafted, I could see (but in no way know) most of the league just telling him, "We'll call you when you're healthy." And the Pacers are also rebuilding, and will be even more so after this season when PG is gone and Ed is healthier, and should give Ed a better chance to make the roster.

If I'm way off on this, someone please correct me, but those are my semi-educated thoughts.

Oh, and f*ck the Pacers.
    I agree. I think it was crucial for Ed to get with a team and rehab on their dime (versus the chance he goes undrafted and has to rehab on his own).
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post

Oh, and f*ck the Pacers.
    Yeah I agree completely with Ed's situation being inured.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

From Chad Ford's draft grades (Pacers got a B):

Sumner was a potential first-round pick before he tore his ACL this season. When healthy, he was a very good athlete and a dynamic scorer. He was a great value pick for the Pacers here.

Sophomore
    with his injury very risky to be undrafted and he is such a good guy.. I like that he cried after the Wisconsin game because college kids SHOULD cry because they should care. I loved Fred Van Fleet at Wichita State and thought he was very similar to a young Mark Jackson. Glad to see him catch on and get some time on Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    I agree. I think it was crucial for Ed to get with a team and rehab on their dime (versus the chance he goes undrafted and has to rehab on his own).
    That is interesting. So if he would have stayed at X, would the school have provided him rehab resources? I honestly don't know exactly how that all works. It would have been awful if he wasn't picked in the 2nd round and he gave up his opportunity to rehab at X.

Thrilled for him. Sounds like a solid situation. Rebuild status in Indy should give him opportunities in the future. And close to X and home in Detroit. Hopefully he'll make it to the some X games next year.
    Last edited by GuyFawkes38; 06-25-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    "I am at this moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip."

NBA Mock Drafts

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFawkes38 View Post
    That is interesting. So if he would have stayed at X, would the school have provided him rehab resources? I honestly don't know exactly how that all works. It would have been awful if he wasn't picked in the 2nd round and he gave up his opportunity to rehab at X.

Thrilled for him. Sounds like a solid situation. Rebuild status in Indy should give him opportunities in the future. And close to X and home in Detroit. Hopefully he'll make it to the some X games next year.
    Yes he could have rehabbed at X.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook