Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Team 96

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    Even if he comes next year, I'd be shocked if he didn't redshirt. We will have 3 other bigs when we play one at a time.
    Agree with this. He's a very hard working kid and has a great attitude from what I've seen. He's come a long way in a short period of time from what I understand. So it'd probably be in his and the team's best interest to redshirt for a year, learn a lot and keep working on his game. No need to waste a year of eligibility by sitting on the bench.

Obviously as we all just learned this year, the roster can change in a second.. so this is all assuming they'll have Sean, Tyrique, and Ernst at 100% heading into the year

Next year is going to be a weird one. IMO Tre and Ed are gone. Or at least that's what I'm expecting. So that leaves X with JP as the main guy. It was sad to see him and Tre walk off the court one last time together. Those 2 had a remarkable couple of weeks together at the end. Would love to see 1 more full season of em playing off each other.

I think for them to be able to compete at any kind of Top 4 Big East finish, Kaiser is going to have to make the biggest jump. They're going to need some other kind of firepower with a jump shot that isn't a freshman. Q has already made great strides and I'm sure he'll spend all off season working on his jumper, but until then they need some shooting. Would be sweet if Kaiser could make similar improvements to someone like BJ Raymond.

Something that impressed me with Tyrique and especially Sean were how well they improved their free throw shooting throughout the season. Tyrique didn't shoot many free throws but his form and touch at the end of the season was light years ahead of where he was at the beginning. Would be nice to get those guys shooting in the 70% range.

I am excited for next year, I only see one match up problem in the Big East and see Xavier going deep again in the NCAA Tournament. Tyrique, Q, JP and Sean, are a solid foundation for a good team, Ed will be icing on the cake if he comes back and the Freshmen are talented enough to give us production from the start as Tyrique and Q did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohionite_X View Post
    Something that impressed me with Tyrique and especially Sean were how well they improved their free throw shooting throughout the season. Tyrique didn't shoot many free throws but his form and touch at the end of the season was light years ahead of where he was at the beginning. Would be nice to get those guys shooting in the 70% range.
    Could not agree more with that. I remember at the beginning of the year thinking how good Tyrique could be if he could start finishing because he was so good at getting position. Then to think what he was able to do at Creighton against Patton is really amazing. He really came a long way this year and yeah the free throw shooting haha. I swear he was 0/10 to start the year and I was actually confident in him at the line towards the 2nd half.

Hopefully Sean can take this momentum and bring it into a great senior year upcoming. He definitely has the ability to do so. Crazy that it could be just him and JP to finish out their 4 years from the great 6 man recruiting class

Quote Originally Posted by xufan2434 View Post
    Next year is going to be a weird one. IMO Tre and Ed are gone. Or at least that's what I'm expecting. So that leaves X with JP as the main guy. It was sad to see him and Tre walk off the court one last time together. Those 2 had a remarkable couple of weeks together at the end. Would love to see 1 more full season of em playing off each other.

I think for them to be able to compete at any kind of Top 4 Big East finish, Kaiser is going to have to make the biggest jump. They're going to need some other kind of firepower with a jump shot that isn't a freshman. Q has already made great strides and I'm sure he'll spend all off season working on his jumper, but until then they need some shooting. Would be sweet if Kaiser could make similar improvements to someone like BJ Raymond.
    As the quality of recruiting for Xavier continues to improve, we're going to need to get more comfortable with the idea that the freshmen we're bringing in are going to be able to shoulder more and more responsibility. It might not be an issue of Kaiser needing to step up so much as it might be plugging a kid like Paul Scruggs or Naji Marshall into the lineup on Day 1 and just letting him do his thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat View Post
    As the quality of recruiting for Xavier continues to improve, we're going to need to get more comfortable with the idea that the freshmen we're bringing in are going to be able to shoulder more and more responsibility. It might not be an issue of Kaiser needing to step up so much as it might be plugging a kid like Paul Scruggs or Naji Marshall into the lineup on Day 1 and just letting him do his thing.
    Which in turn also means we need to start appreciating the fact that not a lot of guys are going to be around for 4 years anymore. We're getting amazing talent each year, and the future is so damn bright. Not a lot of these guys are going to be around for 4 years for X, but we could totally see more success and break down the wall. Our program is heading in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    Which in turn also means we need to start appreciating the fact that not a lot of guys are going to be around for 4 years anymore. We're getting amazing talent each year, and the future is so damn bright. Not a lot of these guys are going to be around for 4 years for X, but we could totally see more success and break down the wall. Our program is heading in the right direction.
    I know this is what you are saying, but if kids are leaving X early to play professional basketball, then things are going well.

Next year's squad

Edmund Sumner
    Trevon Bluiett
    JP Macura
    Sean O'Mara
    Kaiser Gates
    Q Goodin
    Tyrique Jones
    Paul Scruggs
    Naji Marshall
    Elias Harden
    Jared Ridder
    Kentravious Jones
    Bradley Ernst

Ed obviously won't be starting at the beginning of the season.

Starters assuming Tre does not return. As much as we like to hype the freshman class (and they deserve the hype) they will not know the set plays and we have experienced guys who will know them. Tyrique started this past year and O'mara came off the bench and played solid minutes. I have Ernst because he has a year of D1 and Juco experience, thus he just has more experience at this level. That still gives Xavier two outside shooters and a driver in Q to go along with two bigs.
    Q
    JP
    Kaiser
    Ernst
    Tyrique

If Tre comes back this team will be absolutely loaded and will be two deep at every position.

Q
    JP
    Tre
    Gates
    Tyrique

As for some of the newcomers once they learn the system, wow look out.

Paul Scruggs- ranked 30th 6'4 180 billed as the best defender coming out of the entire 2017 class. Think of Q but better.
    Naji Marshall- 6'6 205 ranked 38th - SF but handles and passes like a point guard. Big time play maker
    Elias Harden - 6'5 175 SG not ranked but given a 4 star ranking because he came on late.
    Jared Ridder - 6'7 205 PF shooter like Gates. Missouri Gatorade POY
    Kentravious Jones - 6'11 285 man child with soft hands . Think of Olaf of Gonzaga
    Bradley Ernst - 6'9 210 got hurt out of HS played 1 yr at Iowa St Then 1 at community college to rehabilitate. Has three yrs left.
    Balls of Steele!!

I'm pretty fuzzy on our current projected OOC next yr. Maybe some of you guys can update:

Colorado
    Baylor?
    UC
    Gavitt Game
    @UNI
    @Wake
    @Utah?
    Tournament somewhere

Geesh, that's maybe 10 games already.
    Last edited by bobbiemcgee; 03-27-2017 at 09:15 PM.
    2023 Sweet 16