Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Team 96

Sophomore

Team 96

Going with the most popular assumptions on this board, I guess our team next year looks something like

PG- Q
    SG- Scruggs
    SF- JP Macura
    PF- Kasier Gates
    C- Sean O'Mara

bench- Tyrique Jones, the juco big guy, a bunch of frosh (Marshall, Harden, Ridder, maybe Jones if eligible)

Thank God for that tourney run, which I imagine should give a lot of confidence to Q, Kaiser, Sean and Tyrique. Jp will be our leader but if you thought team 95 struggled from 3 (one of the worst in the country statistically) then this one is gonna be even worse. Definitely a lot of talent, and you can't ask for a better leader than JP.

We should be good inside (especially if Kaiser keeps driving like he did in the tournament, would make him very hard to defend, maybe kind of like a Kelan Martin), and I'm excited to see Sean and especially Tyrique.

We will at least have more guard depth than we did for the last part of this season, so JP won't have to play backup point. Not sure what to expect from Harden, but have high expectations from Scruggs/Marshall to be players next year.

Should be fun to watch the new class that's taking over the program (the huge frosh class plus Q and Tyrique is a v. solid group of underclassmen). Next year may not be our year, but it will be an important one and the two that follow that should be really something.

Freshman
    Team 96 will immediately be tested as well. Home games against Baylor, Colorado, UC, and hopefully a Big Ten school with the Gavitt Games. Only known road game is at Northern Iowa. Also playing in the Las Vegas Invitational where they could play either Kansas State or Arizona State. It'll be interesting to see how the freshmen can contribute in these kinds of games and if Q and Tyrique can continue to build momentum off play these past few weeks.

Team 96 will also have some new jerseys too, can't wait to see those when they are released.

I would love to see Gates become a similar player to Justin Jackson from UNC. Same size, same build, similar athleticism. Jackson is clearly superior in ball handling/driving skills but if Gates can drive and finish enough to keep the defense honest his jumper can make him a real weapon. Not to mention he could be the leading rebounder on the the team next season, no joke.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohionite_X View Post
    I would love to see Gates become a similar player to Justin Jackson from UNC. Same size, same build, similar athleticism. Jackson is clearly superior in ball handling/driving skills but if Gates can drive and finish enough to keep the defense honest his jumper can make him a real weapon. Not to mention he could be the leading rebounder on the the team next season, no joke.
    thats pretty wishful thinking haha

Quote Originally Posted by XUMIOH12 View Post
    thats pretty wishful thinking haha
    I can dream.. I'm gunning for a similar skill-set, not necessarily similar production.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohionite_X View Post
    I can dream.. I'm gunning for a similar skill-set, not necessarily similar production.
    He showed glimpses of driving the ball a little more towards the end of the season. If he can be able to do that effectively more often, it would be huge for his game. I just don't see his ball-handling ever being good enough to do more than shoot or straight-line drive.

Not getting a Gavitt Game at home.
    Defensively the team will be much better. JP, Kaiser and if Ridder plays, they will be threats from deep.
    Inside game should be solid with Sean, Tyrique and whatever Brady Ernst gives.
    Gonna be an exciting year. I don't know if I would have told you that 3 weeks ago. This run was huge in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    Going with the most popular assumptions on this board, I guess our team next year looks something like

PG- Q
    SG- Scruggs
    SF- JP Macura
    PF- Kasier Gates
    C- Sean O'Mara

bench- Tyrique Jones, the juco big guy, a bunch of frosh (Marshall, Harden, Ridder, maybe Jones if eligible)
    I think Tyrique probably starts at C, but doesn't really matter too much since he and Sean probably will get the same amount of minutes.

A lot fan bases are going to feel like JP's been here for 10 years. I love it.
    Run the table.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    A lot fan bases are going to feel like JP's been here for 10 years. I love it.
    Ha, yeah he is exactly the type of player that would make fans of other teams feel that way.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17