Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team 96

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sophomore

Team 96

Going with the most popular assumptions on this board, I guess our team next year looks something like

PG- Q
    SG- Scruggs
    SF- JP Macura
    PF- Kasier Gates
    C- Sean O'Mara

bench- Tyrique Jones, the juco big guy, a bunch of frosh (Marshall, Harden, Ridder, maybe Jones if eligible)

Thank God for that tourney run, which I imagine should give a lot of confidence to Q, Kaiser, Sean and Tyrique. Jp will be our leader but if you thought team 95 struggled from 3 (one of the worst in the country statistically) then this one is gonna be even worse. Definitely a lot of talent, and you can't ask for a better leader than JP.

We should be good inside (especially if Kaiser keeps driving like he did in the tournament, would make him very hard to defend, maybe kind of like a Kelan Martin), and I'm excited to see Sean and especially Tyrique.

We will at least have more guard depth than we did for the last part of this season, so JP won't have to play backup point. Not sure what to expect from Harden, but have high expectations from Scruggs/Marshall to be players next year.

Should be fun to watch the new class that's taking over the program (the huge frosh class plus Q and Tyrique is a v. solid group of underclassmen). Next year may not be our year, but it will be an important one and the two that follow that should be really something.

Freshman
    Team 96 will immediately be tested as well. Home games against Baylor, Colorado, UC, and hopefully a Big Ten school with the Gavitt Games. Only known road game is at Northern Iowa. Also playing in the Las Vegas Invitational where they could play either Kansas State or Arizona State. It'll be interesting to see how the freshmen can contribute in these kinds of games and if Q and Tyrique can continue to build momentum off play these past few weeks.

Team 96 will also have some new jerseys too, can't wait to see those when they are released.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer_15 View Post
    Team 96 will immediately be tested as well. Home games against Baylor, Colorado, UC, and hopefully a Big Ten school with the Gavitt Games. Only known road game is at Northern Iowa. Also playing in the Las Vegas Invitational where they could play either Kansas State or Arizona State. It'll be interesting to see how the freshmen can contribute in these kinds of games and if Q and Tyrique can continue to build momentum off play these past few weeks.

Team 96 will also have some new jerseys too, can't wait to see those when they are released.
    They also have a return road game at Utah. They will also have 2 buy-game opponents (out of a group of 4 teams including Hampton, Rider, UC-Irvine and Northern Arizona) tied in to the Las Vegas Invitational.

I believe at end of next year, Brady Ernst will make us forget about slow Sean O'Mara.

Sean was in a groove but too lumbering and oafish.

Ernst is more limber and athletic. 3 years of him is great.

I know Scruggs will get all the hype but I believe Naji Marshall will be the shining frosh. He's long and lanky, athletic and a jumper (2nd best recruit)

As has been touched on already, 3pt shooting could be an issue. Q and Scruggs have elite level vision, driving, and passing skills. This should make it easier for some of the other guys to get more open looks than they got this season. Someone I see having a great year off the bench and benefiting from that will be Jared Ridder. He didn't play against elite level competition like some of the other freshman but his shooting ability is second to none. Defense will probably be what holds him back but I think he'll hit some big shots for us.

Paul Biancardi likes him too:
    https://twitter.com/ESPNInsider/stat...60587570884610

Quote Originally Posted by Ohionite_X View Post
    As has been touched on already, 3pt shooting could be an issue. Q and Scruggs have elite level vision, driving, and passing skills. This should make it easier for some of the other guys to get more open looks than they got this season. Someone I see having a great year off the bench and benefiting from that will be Jared Ridder. He didn't play against elite level competition like some of the other freshman but his shooting ability is second to none. Defense will probably be what holds him back but I think he'll hit some big shots for us.

Paul Biancardi likes him too:
    https://twitter.com/ESPNInsider/stat...60587570884610
    Don't be fooled by just his HS competition. I believe his AAU team played at and against a very high level. This might be the better gauge. Saw one AAU game on TV and it was packed full of big name players recruited at the highest levels (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    I believe at end of next year, Brady Ernst will make us forget about slow Sean O'Mara.

I know Scruggs will get all the hype but I believe Naji Marshall will be the shining frosh. He's long and lanky, athletic and a jumper (2nd best recruit)
    You basing this off of a couple 5 minute JUCO highlight tapes? God help us. Ernst won't play that much next year.

The switch came on for O'Mara down the stretch, I really believe that. He was demanding the ball, yelling at the bench when it didn't come to him etc. I don't expect him to be a 15/8 guy or anything, but he will be really solid.
    Last edited by AviatorX; 03-26-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    You basing this off of a couple 5 minute JUCO highlight tapes? God help us. Ernst won't play that much next year.

The switch came on for O'Mara down the stretch, I really believe that. He was demanding the ball, yelling at the bench when it didn't come to him etc. I don't expect him to be a 15/8 guy or anything, but he will be really solid.
    Sean had a good tourney but as so many others a poor game against Gonzaga. He will play a big roll next year but not consistent.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post

Re Ernst - based on what?

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post

Sean O'Mara works as hard as anybody on this team. He did an intense summer program to improve his play. He, or his family, paid a couple grand for it. He stepped up in the tournament and may have begun a ''Farresque'' improvement. We might not have made the Elite Eight without his play. It was good to see his confidence in wanting the ball at crunch time and making a good percentage of FTs under pressure. You do mention he ''was in a groove'',but emphasize ''slow'', ''lumbering'' and ''oafish''!
    Trevon has made it clear that players read this stuff. Can't you as a ''fan'' [I assume] be a little more supportive and credit one of our guys for improvement, dedication and effort?

Wear blue at games!
    Birdman'71'76