Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Understanding Recruiting and Scholarships

I have never been clear on the guidelines for recruiting scholarship players. I think NCAA D1 teams are allowed 13. For X, is that the 10 on the current roster plus the 3 incoming for next year? If so, once the 4 seniors graduate, where do we stand on the 13?
    Last edited by Xuperman; 01-23-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Supporting Member
    The incoming players don't count until they enroll. So X is currently short of the maximum allotment, which is common for X and many other teams. Reasons: no one good enough, realistically, to help; leave flexibility, e.g. if you think the next class offers better prospects; or no desire to deal with unhappy end of bench players.

I guess that is why I have never understood why you would not have the full compliment of 13 scholly players every year EVEN if 5th yr seniors were added to make 13?...99.9% of them have no pro basketball aspirations. Would make sense to me, even just for insurance against injury or stupid mistakes off the court.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 01-23-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    I guess that is why I have never understood why you would not have the full compliment of 13 scholly players every year EVEN if 5th yr seniors were added to make 13?...99.9% of them have no pro basketball aspirations. Would make sense to me, even just for insurance against injury or stupid mistakes off the court.
    Coach Mack was once asked how many of the guys he recruits hope to make it to the NBA. He replied, "All of them."

Also, it's hard to keep 13 generally talented kids happy. If a guy knows he is good enough to play major minutes in a D1 program, sitting on the bench is not that appealing.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If they're good and don't get playing time they will bolt. If they aren't good enough to play regularly, it might not be an effective use of time to recruit them. If you just need bodies for practice, there probably are enough walkons. It is also hard to predict who will transfer out mostly because projected lack of playing time, homesickness or whatever.

Ok, but what would be the argument against filling your allotted 13 scholarships every year with 5th yr players ONLY, from mid majors who have NO aspirations of going pro.....for just the experience of playing a year in the BE AND a grad degree from XAVIER UNIVERSITY!!
    Last edited by Xuperman; 01-23-2018 at 01:59 PM.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Ok, but what would be the argument against filling your allotted 13 scholarships every year with 5th yr players ONLY, from mid majors who have NO aspirations of going pro.....for just the experience of playing a year in the BE AND a grad degree from XAVIER UNIVERSITY!!
    maxresdefault.jpg

You're searching for a unicorn.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

There are not enough quality 5th yr. players to recruit from.

Wut is going on.