Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Quite well with little??

Dayton has TWICE as much as what the rest of the league has. They outdraw and outspend several power programs. They actually spend more on basketball than Xavier does, and they're competing against the A10. They spend over $5 million a year on basketball. That's just under what Xavier spends on basketball. They've got more than a little, especially when you compare it to who it is they're competing against. Had Archie Miller gone to Duquesne and won at the level he did at Dayton, then that would be doing a lot with a little. ANYBODY that's decent should be able to win at Dayton. They have so much more to work with than anyone else they compete against.
    I was more speaking to the level of talent and recruiting. Resources only go so far...its still Dayton. If Archie can recruit to the level of Crean which honestly should not be that difficult factoring in the ridiculous abundance of talent in Indiana, then I think Archie can do more with that talent than Crean ever did. That was my point. I think a final four, #1 ranking and #1 seed can all be attained.
    Last edited by Xville; 03-30-2017 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I would wager that Archie Miller will never take Indiana as far as Gregg Marshall has already taken Wichita State. And Indiana fans will look back on their failure to hire Marshall when they had the chance with much sorrow and regret.
    Well Gregg Marshall had them in the Final Four. So you're not exactly going out on a limb there. As we all know, cracking the Final Four is incredibly difficult for all but a handful of blue bloods to achieve (and even those schools miss out more often than not). It requires advantageous matchups and a good deal of luck. So if I were a betting man (and once again, I'm not), I'd probably be on your side of that bet.

Frankly, I'm not even convinced Archie's raw numbers will be all that better than Crean's (if at all). Looked at in a vacuum, Crean's numbers are pretty damn good. But I do think Archie will succeed in the general sense, and in particular I think he will return the program to a degree of esteem and respect that Crean -- probably because of his personality -- could not seem to maintain.

Whether that will satisfy IU's delusional fanbase is anyone's guess...

OK, I'll go out further on a limb then. I would wager that Marshall will have more success from here on out at Wichita State (assuming he stays for the duration) than Archie will have at IU.

OK, I'll go out further on a limb then. I would wager that Marshall will have more success from here on out at Wichita State (assuming he stays for the duration) than Archie will have at IU.
    I'd be inclined to pick Archie, depending on how "success" is defined for this purpose. But I certainly wouldn't fault you for thinking otherwise.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't get the sense Marshall's still at Wichita State because no one wants him. I get the sense he's either happy to stay where he is, locked in contractually, or a bit of both. (He did, however, seem justifiably pissed about their seeding this year.)

I think he'd leave for the right opportunity. But with IU not really showing interest (apparently; I mean it's possible they called and begged his agent and he said no, but I think not), the number of jobs he'd leave for that he might actually get is dwindling to about nil. He's definitely a different guy. Stuck around at Winthrop for 9 years despite 7 NCAA Tournament appearances. You know he had plenty of opportunities to leave Winthrop with that resume.

He apparently is in some strange middle ground. He's the white whale that no one can pull in for the "middle level" power conference jobs (the South Carolina, Alabama, Missouri, Illinois of the world). But the true "blue bloods" don't seem to want to touch him. It's worked out fantastically well for Wichita.

Marshall gets away with a pretty weak schedule and a bad conference. What's his scheduling philosophy all about? Typically a sos of schedule in the triple digits. Plus an 11-13 NCAA record. He sure gets a lot of run off that final 4.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Plus an 11-13 NCAA record.
    That includes 1-7 at Winthrop. He's 10-6 at Wichita State, including winning at least one NCAA Tournament game each of the past five years (and multiple games in 3 of those years). Do you remember the last time Xavier did that? No one does.

Bold. And perhaps correct.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I'll take Archie at IU over Marshall at Wichita any day of the week. Not even a tough call personally. If Archie recruits like I think he will at IU, there aren't very many people who can make up for that talent difference in X's and O's, and Archie isn't bad at that aspect of it either. There's a reason he's been the hot name for a few years now. I think he is underrated on this board for obvious reasons. What is Wichita's seed ceiling in the current MVC? Doesn't look great, and it's hard to consistently make deep runs starting as a 6 plus seed. Only time will tell I guess.

Honestly, the way things have started breaking at IU, Archie might have a pretty damn solid roster next season. 2018 class is really strong in Indiana, and Archie will be riding the "new guy" wave...

EDIT: Forgot about WSU to the AAC...although not sure how much higher the ceiling for seeding is considering UC and SMU this year.
    Last edited by AviatorX; 03-30-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    I'd be inclined to pick Archie, depending on how "success" is defined for this purpose.
    Yeah, to be apples to apples, it has to involve the NCAA Tournament. I mean, Wichita is going to have to deal with the AAC soon. They don't get a creampuff ride through the Big Ten like IU. :)