Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I am so proud that one of our kids can write like that. Extraordinarily exceptional piece. Brilliant.

I sent the link to all my friends. I read it to my 14 year old and he was in tears and ready to follow Malcolm Bernard, his new hero.

Goosebumps baby. Inspirational.

I AM READY TO FOLLOW MALCOLM BERNARD!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Snipe; 03-24-2017 at 01:10 AM.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    While Xavier since then has had good teams with tons of talent, none of those early Chris Mack teams really felt the same as those historic teams from Matta and Miller.
    huh?? That 2010 team played in one of the best NCAA tournament games ever and Jordan Crawford may have been the most talented player to ever wear an X uniform. Tu Holloway was probably the best (at least one of the top two) PGs in program history. Were the Mack teams not as historic because they weren't big underdogs in terms of seed?

I think the 08 team and the Run will always be in a class of their own (I guess till we get back there), but 2010 is definitely in that next group and last year was the best regular season we've ever had. It's not like everything before this in the Mack era was a disappointment.

1. I never said any team was a disappointment. I only said they just didn't have that same vibe that started with the Darnell Williams, James Posey Muskies and continued up through about 2010.

2. 2010 was the last time that feeling was around. I sure you recall how it was. Seniors passed down the Xavier way to Freshman who would then pass it down and so on. My point was the cycle stopped when we lost just about that whole class (Latham, McKenzie class). I don't think anyone here would deny the Muskies at the end of the Miller and beginning of the Mack era were probably the grittiest, hardnose teams we ever had. Losing that class lost that edge. However, I do think the UC fight help accelerate that even more. Zip'em up died with that day along with the edge we always carried into games

3. My point was not to be critical here just to say I think Bernard with his candid words and challenge finally woke guys up like those teams of old. Those teams always had an enforcer; a guy who would kick your ass if you didn't go all out. It's no secret we didn't have that the past few years. Don't get me wrong I loved guys like Stainbrook, but he didn't come off as an ass kicker. Tu was probably the last one we did have. I hope it's a rebirth or renaissance of the Xavier way... bigger, better and stronger than ever before, and with that we finally break down the door and get our first final four.
    Last edited by stammina0721; 03-23-2017 at 07:44 PM.

4. (Prolly your favorite). I'm just crazy as hell haha!!!

5. Who cares now? It's about gametime all these filler conversations can end and we can enjoy our guys at least one more game
    Last edited by stammina0721; 03-23-2017 at 07:45 PM.

I am ready to follow Malcolm Bernard!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Snipe; 03-24-2017 at 01:09 AM.

I would predict that this excellent piece from Tre and the in person first hand account of the players only meeting is about to get a lot more play. They will be looking for a storyline, and this is exactly what they want to print. In fact, the Enquirer would be idiots to not buying the rights and reprinting it. This piece is pure gold.

After we lost our next game — to Marquette on March 1 — we held a players-only meeting.

Before anyone could say anything, Malcolm Bernard, a senior, stood up. He didn’t need to remind us why this year meant so much to him. He’d transferred at the end of last season from Florida A&M — a program that last made the tournament in 2007.

Xavier was his best shot at getting to the postseason before his collegiate career was over.

He said we weren’t buying into coach’s system. He said weren’t playing for each other, only for ourselves. We weren’t even playing hard — which is the only thing you can really control on the court.

“We’re being selfish,” he said. “And I’m tired of it.”

At the end of his speech, Malcolm made a promise and a request.

“I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team,” he said.

“I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me.”

Here was a guy who hadn’t even been here for a year — and he was calling us out.
    And he was absolutely right. We weren’t finishing.
    I will follow Malcolm Bernard. I will dive for every loose ball. Malcolm had 15 points in the second half and helped will us to victory.

NEW RULE: From now on, Malcolm Bernard is now an honorary 4 year Xavier veteran. I don't care if it is just one year, he nailed the Xavier Tradition as well as Sir Stanley Burrell. And I think Sir Stanley would approve.

I am in awe of this man.

Quote Originally Posted by kyxu View Post
    Not sure how many of you are familiar with this site, but every now and again I'll see one of these articles pop up. They are written by players (either current or retired) and they tell a pretty good story from their perspective about a certain event.

I had no idea that they had active college players write these, until I saw one from Trevon Bluiett pop up this morning.

Really good article -- https://www.theplayerstribune.com/tr...march-madness/

Thanks for sharing KYXU:

Great article by Tre indeed. The part about Bernard standing up and calling the team out and challenging them beautifully demonstrates how significant senior leadership at the end of a season can be to a team's success.

“I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me.”

That is exactly the last 5 seconds of the game.

The 3 goes up...it misses...O'Mara blocks out, tips the ball...and Bernard dove for the loose ball...came up with it...and created history.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

You are exactly right my friend.