Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga

But are they fun to watch?

I hope Gonzaga beats WV by 100 tonight. Even if you don't like Gonzaga (fair enough), you do realize they're playing the devil tonight, right?

Fuck them. I still havent gotten over this.

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    Hell no F**k the Zags. Every year they get this inflated ranking then do well in a conference that is awful. Then comes tournament time they shit the bed. That program is a fraud and after we beat desert raccoon I hope we face them. For any of you who root for that fraudulent team you are either in your 70's or in college, F**K the Zags
    Why does everyone say this?

In their 18 consecutive years of making the NCAA Tournament, they've lost as the better seeded team five times, they've won as the better seeded team 14 times, they've won as lower (poorer) seeded team 12 times, and lost as the poorer seeded team (meaning they went as for or farther than their seeded predicted they would go) 13 times. That's not underachieving or shitting the bed. At the very least that's meeting expectations, and in most cases that's exceeding expectations.

I can recall two years where Gonzaga went out way earlier than expected. One of those years was to a Wichita State team that was in the midst of a forty game span where the only two games they lost was to eventual national champion Louisville in the Final Four by 3, and eventual runner up Kentucky on a missed last second shot in the round of 32. But, having said that, I can recall an early tournament exit for just about every program that regularly makes the tournament. Take Duke. In recent years they've lost in the Round of 64 to Lehigh and Mercer, and this year went down in the Round of 32. They also lost to VCU one year in the Round of 64. They've had twice as many surprising early exits as Gonzaga has.

Seriously, I get not liking Gonzaga, but you can't say they don't do well in the tournament. They do. They do as good or better than their seed way more often than not.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I hope Gonzaga beats WV by 100 tonight. Even if you don't like Gonzaga (fair enough), you do realize they're playing the devil tonight, right?
    I don't know.

Xavier has proven that they can beat Huggins and/or West Virginia, either in the tournament or otherwise. Not so much with Gonzaga. West Virginia has also shown that they are capable of self destructing (although they don't always do it, they do do it at times). I'd kinda rather play them.

I don't know. I just don't like the idea of having to face that press with a single, freshman PG.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I don't know. I just don't like the idea of having to face that press with a single, freshman PG.
    I can't say that I do either.

Gonzaga scares/impresses me more than West Virginia. I wish I could feel that they were as overrated as everyone else seems to think, but I can't. Not this year. They beat Arizona away from home, and I know Zona wasn't at full strength, but at no point in that game was Gonzaga sweating. They also beat Florida rather handily, who was at full strength. They also blew Saint Mary's off the court three times, and that's the same SMC team that hung with Arizona and looked like they had it in them to pull the upset well into the second half.

They are...just...wow. REALLY good. Everyone seems to dismiss them as an overrated team who chokes in the tournament. I don't know how to respond to that other than to shrug. Gonzaga is good enough to win it all. They really are.

But, they've also not played a team that likes to pressure the way West Virginia does, or at the very least not played a team that pressures as well as West Virginia does, so they will be tested tonight.

At this point, I will be happy to be playing Saturday and take my chances with this group of X players. Bring on whoever. Attack and Finish!!
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    At this point, I will be happy to be playing Saturday and take my chances with this group of X players. Bring on whoever. Attack and Finish!!
    Ultimately this is how I feel as well. If we win tonight, it matches the farthest we've ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Ultimately this is how I feel as well. If we win tonight, it matches the farthest we've ever been.
    I'm refusing to let myself be nervous for tonight's game, considering we have made it as far as I was hoping, even before Ed went down and Myles left the team.

Then of course, if X builds a 7-10 lead in the second half, I will nerve-drink myself into oblivion.