Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Crean Out At IU

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Where do you expect all this money to come from?
    The bookstore sold out of Running Man logo warm-ups last week. All twenty of them.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Crean out at IU

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    So with his Xavier salary (reported to be around 1.5 total) , benefits and the Sedler foundation $$ he has to be close???
    He was closer to $1.5mm than $2mm. That includes all his comp and benefits. But he'll get a bonus for our tourney performance.

As for "paying the man"...what Muskie said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    I wonder what happens with the younger Ball brothers. Is their allegiance to UCLA or Alford?
    Evidently, neither one is as close to as good as the older brother and not having to deal with the dad would be another reason why Alford would leave.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    He was closer to $1.5mm than $2mm. That includes all his comp and benefits. But he'll get a bonus for our tourney performance.

As for "paying the man"...what Muskie said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is where the whole situation get's frustrating. I for one don't ever want to tell people how to spend their money. Everyone's life situation and priorities are different. But X faces a daunting task every year when it comes to fundraising. In order to help keep this team a perennially elite program, more and more money will have to go into it. That means seat redistribution, further updates to Cintas, further opportunities that require higher and higher musketeer point totals, and higher coaching salaries just to name a few. The money must come from somewhere.

What frightens me most are the sleeping giants in this League (Georgetown is one). If they ever pull their act together in the Athletic Department, Georgetown will be able to pay for the best facilities and best Coaches. Georgetown's Endowment is 1.4 Billion. Xavier's endowment is 156 million.

So complain all we want about the rising cost of seat licenses and tickets and chant "pay the man" all you want, but unless our alumni base begins opening their wallets even more we are reaching a point of max capacity in athletics (assuming X doesn't find a giant new revenue source).

Keep in mind that this plan assumes you don't make any other improvements to campus.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

I love to spend other people's money, but I just can't see opening up my OWN wallet to make a donation to make sure a guy who already makes a LOT more money than I do gets a substantial raise. Maybe once the mortgate is zero, the kids' college funds are fully funded, and the retirement account is fully funded. But that day's not today.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I love to spend other people's money, but I just can't see opening up my OWN wallet to make a donation to make sure a guy who already makes a LOT more money than I do gets a substantial raise. Maybe once the mortgate is zero, the kids' college funds are fully funded, and the retirement account is fully funded. But that day's not today.
    And I totally appreciate and respect that proposition Go.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Could someone refresh my memory on that Home City Ice endowment that "funds" his salary?
    Veritas vos Liberabit

Mack is a great coach but as history shows us Xavier does just fine with new coaches. Of Mack leaves and I don't think it will happen soon then our next coach will get the job done just as well if not better. I am not worried about the program in the foreseeable future. Alford is going IU, miller to UCLA. I think that will happen
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    Mack is a great coach but as history shows us Xavier does just fine with new coaches. Of Mack leaves and I don't think it will happen soon then our next coach will get the job done just as well if not better. I am not worried about the program in the foreseeable future. Alford is going IU, miller to UCLA. I think that will happen
    We have been extremely lucky that the program has continued to improve/thrive with every change going back to the hiring of Bob Staack. Hopefully, that luck is not tested again for some time.
    The history X has experienced in hiring new coaches over a 30+ year period is atypical. Hope we have Mack until he is ready to hang it up, his staying is our best chance at FF.

I'm fascinated by how we vacillate back and forth on this board about Mack.
    One year (month/week/day) he's unable to coach, doesn't call good TO's, etc.etc.etc.
    The next year (month/week/day) he's the best thing for us and he should stay forever.

Fascinating.

As to the Running Man shirt, I was having a Makers with BJ at Dana's last week, and he showed me the notice.
    I should have gone down the street, bought about 20 of them, and then had my own auction to fund a trip to San Jose.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.