Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Crean Out At IU

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    This...if he leaves for the payday, can you blame him? But at the same time, I'm sure he's living very comfortably here in Cincy. I don't think Mack leaves SOLELY for the money. There may come a time where he feels stale at Xavier and needs a change. Right now doesn't seem to be that time. He's not going to go JUST because they can pay him more.
    Agree with you here entirely. It would have to be a combo of a massive pay day and a unique career opportunity (which in my book is coaching a storied program). He definitely isn't going to go to Oklahoma State, LSU or the like just for a huge pay check.

My 2 cents, Mack is definitely a smart guy. I am sure after the tourney is over he is going to look really hard at what is going on with former opposing coaches who moved on from smaller schools. I have to wonder if Shaka Smart would head to Texas over staying at VCU now if he had it to do over again. That guy was a king at VCU and was getting pretty good money. Then there is Mark Few. Guy is getting paid, it wasn't always that way.

I think that Mark Few has a great job. I want Mack to be our Mark Few. Few gets paid a little more, but not much.

I said it before, the jobs that really scare me are Indiana and Louisville. Mack could keep his house and make 4 million or more a year. And the private jet means he won't ever miss any event he wants to get too.

He recruits this area well too, and it would hurt us to have him at one of those schools. I think Matta and Miller made some pretty smart choices by going not just for money but well established programs. I am sure it is a fun life. I bet Miller's life is a blast. Those guys can get anything they want. But honestly, if we can get Mack closer to 2 million a year, he can pretty much have anything he wants too. And he could coach here a long time.

He has young girls, Xavier is doing well, he is raising his family in his home town and still making a boat load of money. With a stellar group of recruits coming in and the wind at his back after another masterful tournament run, I don't see this as a time where he gets antsy. But if Indiana calls, you at least pick up that phone. The thought of LSU makes me laugh. They could double his salary and I can't see him going to LSU.

At some point we are going to have to come closer to what other Big East programs are paying their coaches. Buzz at Marquette was one of the highest paid coaches in D-1 before he left. Still curious about that. After buzz left it was Thompson being the highest paid in the Big East, around 3 million. I don't know the latest numbers, but I am guessing Jay Wright may have surpassed him by now.

This is a great job for coach Mack.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    I think that Mark Few has a great job. I want Mack to be our Mark Few. Few gets paid a little more, but not much.

I said it before, the jobs that really scare me are Indiana and Louisville. Mack could keep his house and make 4 million or more a year. And the private jet means he won't ever miss any event he wants to get too.

He recruits this area well too, and it would hurt us to have him at one of those schools. I think Matta and Miller made some pretty smart choices by going not just for money but well established programs. I am sure it is a fun life. I bet Miller's life is a blast. Those guys can get anything they want. But honestly, if we can get Mack closer to 2 million a year, he can pretty much have anything he wants too. And he could coach here a long time.

He has young girls, Xavier is doing well, he is raising his family in his home town and still making a boat load of money. With a stellar group of recruits coming in and the wind at his back after another masterful tournament run, I don't see this as a time where he gets antsy. But if Indiana calls, you at least pick up that phone. The thought of LSU makes me laugh. They could double his salary and I can't see him going to LSU.

At some point we are going to have to come closer to what other Big East programs are paying their coaches. Buzz at Marquette was one of the highest paid coaches in D-1 before he left. Still curious about that. After buzz left it was Thompson being the highest paid in the Big East, around 3 million. I don't know the latest numbers, but I am guessing Jay Wright may have surpassed him by now.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sala...ketball/coach/

Quote Originally Posted by GetUp5 View Post
    I'm in the camp that is growing more and more naive and believing Coach Mack will be here forever. He really is different than the guys who came before him. He's from Cincinnati, went to St. X, went to Xavier, etc.. There's definitely something to that. No one can really theorize about what they would or wouldn't do if they were in Coach Mack's shoes unless they're actually in his shoes, but wow, coaching at Xavier and making close to $2M vs. going somewhere completely foreign to you, packing up your family and starting over at a new school? I really do think he'll stay. But, obviously you can't blame him for making the jump if it means setting his family up for the rest of their lives, and the lives of his grand kids, etc..

I will point out that Coach Mack leaving after this season would set us back a good 3-4 years if the recruiting class were to fall apart. That would be completely detrimental. Coach Steele moving into the HC role could help salvage some of that, but heyooo we don't need him bolting after this season especially.
    Like everyone else said about the moving thing it's Louisville or Indiana, both very close to Cincinnati, both will double/triple his salary, both are great storied programs. His wife is from Louisville, so that transition will be seamless. I don't want him to leave, I want him to get to 200 wins as an X coach first, and a couple Final 4's... and MAYBE, just MAYBE a National Championship... landmark steps.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post

Apparently there was some head-butting between Buzz Williams and the Marquette brass about some of the recruits he wanted to bring into the program. Duane Wilson was the last Buzz recruit and he will be a graduate transfer once he gets his degree from Marquette this spring.

*double post*
    Last edited by ArcherXU; 03-21-2017 at 04:24 PM.

IU losing 2of 3 recruits. Other one says he'll wait to see who is hired.
    2023 Sweet 16

This woman is totally nuts. She has been doing this since the Winthrop days. IU needs to hire Gregg Marshall!!

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barsto...eets-about-it/
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

The headline is wrong. She didn't get kicked out. And IU should DEFINITELY hire Gregg Marshall. But that assumes winning is important to them.