Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Game Thread: Xavier vs. Florida State (March 18, 2017) NCAA Tournament Second Round

Xavier Musketeers vs. Florida State University

March 18, 2017

Game Time: 6:10 p.m. ET

Amway Center | Orlando, Florida

TV: TNT

Live Stream

Radio: 700 WLW & Westwood One

Live Chat

Live Stats

GoXavier

Enquirer

CBS Sports

AP Preview

Pre-Game Event in Orlando

Line: Florida State -7.5 (open -6) | Over/Under 154 (open 151)

*check back for more links and articles

Last edited by American X; 03-18-2017 at 03:52 PM.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

FSU is big and athletic. They average 80+ PPG. Clearly we have to slow them down and rebound the ball well.

Sophomore
    I expect a good amount of zone tonight, although that could hurt our rebounding. We'll need everyone crashing the boards.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    I expect a good amount of zone tonight, although that could hurt our rebounding. We'll need everyone crashing the boards.
    Maybe table that zone until tomorrow---I do think this is going to be a real challenge for us, but FSU can be streaky. Any 3 seed is gonna be tough.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    Maybe table that zone until tomorrow---I do think this is going to be a real challenge for us, but FSU can be streaky. Any 3 seed is gonna be tough.
    I'm too excited!

Sagarin ratings would indicate that we will be 4 point dogs. Not bad for a shot at the second weekend.

Junior
    It will be a tough one, but I said of any potential top 3 seed I'd want FSU. Not to say I think we will beat them but they would be the worst of the top 3 seeds. They will be one of the top 3 teams we have played all year.They are really, really long. I think it will be tough to score. They are not a good shooting team (our zones should do well). It is a must to avoid those bad turnovers that turn to really easy buckets- I anticipate a lot of press from them. I don't like our chances, but if we have any chance it will be surprisingly because of our defense.

All-Conference
    This will be a tough one...Kaiser Gates needs a big game with him potentially making some of their freakishly long guys playing out on the perimeter. That's a huge key to this game.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    It will be a tough one, but I said of any potential top 3 seed I'd want FSU. Not to say I think we will beat them but they would be the worst of the top 3 seeds. They will be one of the top 3 teams we have played all year.They are really, really long. I think it will be tough to score. They are not a good shooting team (our zones should do well). It is a must to avoid those bad turnovers that turn to really easy buckets- I anticipate a lot of press from them. I don't like our chances, but if we have any chance it will be surprisingly because of our defense.

You're not kidding on the tall, long, and athletic part and after watching some of their game last night I agree 100%. Turnovers will kill us, especially if we give it up 15 times again. Their shot selections were also odd, not sure if their offense runs off of pump fakes to try and clear space in the middle or if they lack confidence but lots of shots I'd expect guys like Tre, JP, and Kaiser to take all day they'd leave to work the ball into the paint.

They are a poor free throw shooting team and a poor 3pt shooting team, which we are both of those as well. They did struggle to put away a 14 seed though and they do struggle a littl but away from Tallahassee. All 8 losses came on the road. But to finish 2nd in the best conference is pretty damn good. If we can dominate the boards and keep,them from getting second chance points I like our chances.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield