Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast

Will the real Kaiser Gates please stand up

Ed goes down and someone needed to step up and replace his points. The guy to do just that was Kaiser but he did not rise to the challenge and we hit the skids. "Best shooter on the team"? Where is he? I figure, if healthy, he has roughly 70 games left in his career and the 1000 point club was certainly expected from him but he has to start putting up the numbers to get there now! We know what we are going to get out of the other 7 guys. Kaiser is the missing piece for any kind of run. I know you got one in you and you are way overdue.... Drop a 20 on the dawgs and don't look back!!
    Last edited by Xuperman; 03-09-2017 at 06:30 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Will the real Kaiser Gates please stand up

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Ed goes down and someone needed to step up and replace his points. The guy to do just that was Kaiser but he did not rise to the challenge and we hit the skids. "Best shooter on the team"? Where is he? I figure, if healthy, he has roughly 70 games left in his career and the 1000 point club was certainly expected from him but he has to start putting up the numbers to get there now! We know what we are going to get out of the other 7 guys. Kaiser is the missing piece for any kind of run. I know you got one in you and you are way overdue.... Drop a 20 on the dawgs and don't look back!!
    I agree. He's not afraid to shoot but he he doesn't look confident in his shot at all. He will drain 1 then the next 3 are way off.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I mean since Sumner went down, Kaiser is averaging 7.1 and 5.4 shooting 36% from 3. He's been inconsistent at times, but I thought he played decently last night. If we can keep getting 7 and 5 from him off the bench I'll be happy.

Quite frankly, we were watching in the Garden last night and the word "lazy" came up a few times. Besides the scoring issues, where is the rebounding from him? DePaul actually made us look like crap on the boards last night and out rebounded us while Gates got 3 rebounds in 20 minutes. The kid is a real disappointment to me. Hope he turns it around and finds fire.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

I'm no scout, but after watching decades of college basketball, I feel like I have a pretty good feel for the "eye test." This isn't meant to knock on Kaiser, but it looks like he still hasn't fully developed. The way he runs, the way he moves -- he doesn't have that silky-smooth glide about him that you see in the most prolific athletes. He looks downright awkward at times, like an adolescent still maturing into his adult years. On occasion he puts up a decent stat line because he's blessed with height, long arms and big hair. And yes, he has a decent shot, but the best shooter in practice is not always the best shooter when the lights come on.

My hope is that the finished product is still a work in progress, and that by next season we will see a much more polished basketball player -- stronger, more confident, and under control. With the incoming class, it could be an epic year if Kaiser transforms a la BJ Raymond. A guy can dream...
    It's winning time.

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    I mean since Sumner went down, Kaiser is averaging 7.1 and 5.4 shooting 36% from 3. He's been inconsistent at times, but I thought he played decently last night. If we can keep getting 7 and 5 from him off the bench I'll be happy.
    That is precisely the problem. It is the post season now and that simply is not enough to make a difference.
    The starters stats are pretty much consistent and you see where that gets us. We desperately need bench points to make any kind of run and sadly our bench consists of 3 guys. He needs to hit 3/4 threes plus some garbage in the paint and start notching some 14+ games.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 03-09-2017 at 08:19 AM.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Quite frankly, we were watching in the Garden last night and the word "lazy" came up a few times. Besides the scoring issues, where is the rebounding from him? DePaul actually made us look like crap on the boards last night and out rebounded us while Gates got 3 rebounds in 20 minutes. The kid is a real disappointment to me. Hope he turns it around and finds fire.
    The rebounding/defense is the biggest thing. I think we see flashes out of him that gives me confidence in his future. Ideally he would be able to put some pounds on and bang just a little in the paint. If he remains a primarily 3 shooter it would be disappointing.

But for this year, and any shot at a couple wins in the tournament, he needs to really focus on attacking the boards like crazy and contribute 8-10 points a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    The rebounding/defense is the biggest thing. I think we see flashes out of him that gives me confidence in his future. Ideally he would be able to put some pounds on and bang just a little in the paint. If he remains a primarily 3 shooter it would be disappointing.
    Ala James Farr?

As short of players as this roster is we need Kaiser to put up 12-15 points per game and he hasn't done it. Maybe next year but overall this year he has been the biggest disappointment of the active players.

Junior
    Wanting Gates to average 15 a game this year is wildly unrealistic. I can see big games where he puts up 15 but averaging that? Geez, man.