Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
    Oh, they know who they want alright (Archie), they're just not going to get him I don't think.

I mean, these are the same people that hired Gottfried in the first place haha.

In all seriousness it could be an epic year on the carousel. There are a bunch of good jobs that will likely open (NC State, Illinois, LSU, Arkansas, Mizzou) and a couple elites that could as well (Indiana, OSU).

I gotta say i cringed a little bit listening to the most recent skinner podcast when Rick brought up his thoughts on Mack being heavily involved this offseason.
    Yeah, no question that if IU/OSU open up Mack will be heavily in the mix for both. Obviously if Mack were to go to IU Steele might (likely to?) get the X job, but wow would those two kill it on the recruiting trail at IU.

If IU gets rid of Crean, and their third call (after getting laughed at by Stevens and Donovan) isn't to Gregg Marshall, they're idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
    Oh, they know who they want alright (Archie), they're just not going to get him I don't think.

I mean, these are the same people that hired Gottfried in the first place haha.

In all seriousness it could be an epic year on the carousel. There are a bunch of good jobs that will likely open (NC State, Illinois, LSU, Arkansas, Mizzou) and a couple elites that could as well (Indiana, OSU).

I gotta say i cringed a little bit listening to the most recent skinner podcast when Rick brought up his thoughts on Mack being heavily involved this offseason.
    I don't foresee Arkansas opening up. They're not great, but they will most likely make the tournament in a year that few were expecting them to even make the NIT.

I wouldn't worry too much about Mack. I don't think he'll leave, but if he leaves, he leaves. There will always be a lot of good coaches who are interested in an opening like Xavier. Everybody always freaks out, but if you're in a position to where you're turning good coaches away because you can only hire one of them then you're in a pretty damn good position, and that's the position we're in.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    If IU gets rid of Crean, and their third call (after getting laughed at by Stevens and Donovan) isn't to Gregg Marshall, they're idiots.
    Glass came from the world of fundraising and development. He'll ask his donors who they want. That's how he'll come up with his list of candidates.

I'm only half kidding.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I agree, but I really think what I said a few days ago about not wanting a guy from a hardass mold carries some weight with Glass and the boosters, especially post Kevin Wilson football era. Apparently Marshall is known for basically being a total asshole who has no interest in the public persona of the job. An asshole that can coach the hell out of a basketball team but I don't think the latter half of that sentence will fly at IU.

I don't have SOURCES but it is the kind of info that I can tell trickled down from people who might.

I would love Marshall. But I'm preparing for another year of Crean or worst case scenario Dane Fife. I just have a feeling the only way Crean is out at IU is if he feels the heat and decides to move on to a soft landing job.
    Last edited by AviatorX; 02-20-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    I agree, but I really think what I said a few days ago about not wanting a guy from a hardass mold carries some weight with Glass and the boosters, especially post Kevin Wilson football era. Apparently Marshall is known for basically being a total asshole who has no interest in the public persona of the job. An asshole that can coach the hell out of a basketball team but I don't think the latter half of that sentence will fly at IU.

I don't have SOURCES but it is the kind of info that I can tell trickled down from people who might.
    Are you forgetting IU had the ultimate asshole coach (K night ) for 20+ years ?

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Are you forgetting IU had the ultimate asshole coach (K night ) for 20+ years ?
    Yeah, no question on that one. The irony is strong. That was a different era and administration though. Having to fire Knight the way they did probably didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I don't foresee Arkansas opening up. They're not great, but they will most likely make the tournament in a year that few were expecting them to even make the NIT.

I wouldn't worry too much about Mack. I don't think he'll leave, but if he leaves, he leaves. There will always be a lot of good coaches who are interested in an opening like Xavier. Everybody always freaks out, but if you're in a position to where you're turning good coaches away because you can only hire one of them then you're in a pretty damn good position, and that's the position we're in.
    I am not being a smart ass in asking who are the good coaches Xavier has turned away in the the past? I don't recall any.
    It's a still great day to be a Muskie, but a sad day to be a supporting member of this board.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post

I don't know, I feel like if IU or OSU came calling Mack would be gone. Just my opinion.

I think Archie is gone somewhere despite what the delusional fans to the North say. For one thing, he has 4 seniors graduating and really no prospects to replace them. Has one decent PG coming in that will have to run the team as a frosh. He'll decommit when Archie bolts.
    2023 Sweet 16