Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

2017 Coaching Carousel

2013 (as a 9 seed) taking down #1 Gonzaga and #2 Ohio State before falling to eventual champion #1 Louisville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LA Muskie; 02-21-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    2013 (as a 9 seed) taking down #1 Gonzaga and #2 Ohio State before falling to eventual champion #1 Louisville.
    Damn, Steve Alford's Final Four run sounds remarkably similar to Gregg Marshall's. :)

2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Damn, Steve Alford's Final Four run sounds remarkably similar to Gregg Marshall's. :)
    Sorry. Thought we were talking about Gregg Marshall. Did someone say Steve Alford has a Final Four under his belt?

EDIT: I now see how the inference can be drawn from Muskie's post, although I doubt that was his intent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    A part of me believes that Indiana would take Steve Alford, still.
    Meh, he has a huge two-way buyout in the neighborhood of 7 million and has an awesome class coming in. I also think reasonable IU fans see him as having a similar profile to Crean as far as roster construction. No thanks.

The reasonable IU contingent would definitely come around on hearing "no" from Stevens and Donovan and then grabbing either Archie or Mack. I think most of the IU fanbase is past the winning the press conference stage (especially after Crean, who had the "it's Indiana" amazing presser and look where things stand now). Like anywhere else, as long as who is next wins people will be happy.

It's not hard to build a winner in Bloomington. I think a guy like Mack or Archie would crush it.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    The reasonable IU contingent
    = semi-boneless ham
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp View Post
    I am not being a smart ass in asking who are the good coaches Xavier has turned away in the the past? I don't recall any.
    Interesting question.

Going back to Gillen, it was down to Gillen and a UNLV assistant. XU AD Jeff Fogelson wanted and had actually decided to hire the UNLV guy, but backed off after there was outrage from some X alums and others that X would be hiring Tarkanian's assistant.

Prosser- no one else in the running

Matta- he was the only real candidate, but I think X talked to McCaffery (now at Iowa) and a Kansas assistant (who went to another school (TCU?) and got fired.

Miller- no one else.

Mack- I think the former Western Kentucky and then South Carolina coach (Darren Horn, who has since been fired by USC) and the former Wright State coach, who is now at Clemson (Brad Brownell), were also in the running.
    Last edited by XU 87; 02-21-2017 at 11:59 AM.

Indiana will aim high initially and get the cold shoulder from big time names mostly b/c I don't think the job is today what it once was 20 years ago. Today there are 30-40 jobs that pay very, very well and have poisoned themselves really well. I would think guys like Archie and Mack would be front and center. If Miller and Matta could leave here and have success at two big programs why would Indiana not think a similar situation could play out?

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    = semi-boneless ham
    XU's fanbase is creeping closer and closer to that level if you spend any time on here when Xavier is down by 5 or more points.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Interesting question.

Going back to Gillen, it was down to Gillen and a UNLV assistant. XU AD Jeff Fogelson wanted and had actually decided to hire the UNLV guy, but backed off after there was outrage from some X alums and others that X would be hiring Tarkanian's assistant.

Prosser- no one else in the running

Matta- he was the only real candidate, but I think X talked to McCaffery (now at Iowa) and a Kansas assistant (who went to another school (TCU?) and got fired.

Miller- no one else.

Mack- I think the former Western Kentucky and then South Carolina coach (Darren Horn, who has since been fired by USC) and the former Wright State coach, who is now at Clemson (Brad Brownell), were also in the running.
    At that time, Fran McCaffery had just led UNC-Greensboro to the NCAA Tournament; he had also taken Lehigh (back when they were usually awful) to the NCAAs a decade earlier. He would go on to a successful Siena gig before moving to Iowa.

I never knew he coached at Lehigh. He went from the head coach at Lehigh to an assistant at ND. Odd career move since he did well at Lehigh.