Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UConn

I would be OK with that.

Said this on Twitter but I would support UConn to the Big East as long as the conference stays round-robin and goes to 20 conference games. I love the round robin.

UConn provides:
    1. National brand (just a down year, IMO)
    2. Increased attendance at MSG (which should help to extend the contract when it is up)
    3. Interest from FOX (and in general, the next TV contract)
    4. Traditional rival for half the league

Also, I would slap an enormous exit fee on them just in case the Big Ten or ACC comes calling 5-10 years down the road.
    Last edited by BMoreX; 02-15-2017 at 10:30 AM.

As much as I f*cking hate UConn, I think they would be a good addition. Plus, it would turn the American from a dumpster fire to just a fiery bag of shit.

From the article...

“If the Big East expanded to 20 games with UConn as a member, it would help offset other power-five programs being in position to get more of the NCAA bids,” one source said. “It would provide an opportunity for the teams in the league to get more games that matter and more games that can help their overall resume.”
    This is just patently incorrect.

There is only one power five conference that routinely gets more than half of their teams in. That's the same power conference that has ten teams and plays an 18 game double round robin format.

A league will always post a collective record of .500 in conference play. If the overall record of the teams in the league is over .500 in OOC play, then adding games to the conference schedule makes the overall record go down, which makes the metrics that the committee uses go down.

That's not my opinion. It is a mathematical fact. There is a reason that the Big East and the Big Twelve get a higher percentage of their teams in than the other four power conferences. We just sent six teams to the NCAA Tournament and one of them one the national title. Maybe things are working out jsut fine and we should keep it the way it is. Just a thought.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I think UConn would be a great program to add to the Big East. Having said that, maybe this is crazy, but as a fan, I'd rather not have 20 (of the 30) regular season games be conference games. I think it's more fun to see a variety of teams (via non-conf scheduling) each year.

If the Big East were 11 teams and everyone played 20 conf games (play each team twice), that leaves 10 games for Xavier to schedule (yes, 11 potentially because of the early-season tournament rule allowing a 31st regular season game).

After scheduling an early season tournament, that accounts for 3 of those 10 games. The Crosstown Shootout is a 4th, and Wake Forest a 5th. We'd only have 5 more games to schedule. In an ideal world, you'd like to continue to have the first 2 games of the year be mid-RPI-level (100 to 200) teams at home to get a feel for the team and get some homes games before the big non-conf games. That would put X up to 7 non-conf games, with only 3 left to schedule against power conference schools.

Just my initial thoughts.

I'd strongly support adding UConn if we can kick out Depaul. Even then I think I'd rather just have nine, but I wouldn't be too upset if they came in as a tenth.

UConn would beat our women's team by 100.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    UConn would beat our women's team by 100.
    UConn's women's team would beat our men's team by 100

While I know it will never happen, what would people here think about the following scenario:

Add: UConn and UC
    Drop: DePaul

Again, will never happen as I don't see DePaul leaving willingly and I don't see the Big East pushing out a member. But hypothetically, what do you think? If Duke and UNC tolerate one another, and I would add help improve the league, why not XU and UC in the same league?

principal