Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
    The problem IMO lies with the offense. We don't have dribble drive guys who can consistently beat their defender AND finish which is why I'm always yelling at my TV for guys to back cut when teams over play us. JP did this in the first few minutes last night and got a layup. Gates has done this a few times but we need a lot more of it just to keep the defense honest and maybe get some guys open looks at 3's. I told a buddy that I'd be surprised if we scored 60 last night and we got 63. The effort for most of the game was there but we just don't have the horses at this point in time. Hopefully they can give a good showing on Saturday in Milwaukee.
    "This [basketball] is the second most exciting indoor sport, and the other one shouldn't have spectators." - Dick Vertleib

Goodin has played 79 of the last 80 minutes the last two games. That's scary. Kid is going to be wore out.

Per Casual Fan- "Welcome to college basketball where turnover happens."

This isn't standard or even large turnover. It is catastrophic turnover. Seven our top eight players from last year were not on the floor last night. It's the equivalent of having your entire starting lineup graduating, and then some.

Yesterday's starting lineup, and the first substitute, included four players who didn't play a minute for X last year.

It's just too much to overcome against good teams on the road. For X to win yesterday, Providence had to play really poorly and X had to play great. It didn't happen.
    Last edited by XU 87; 02-16-2017 at 09:32 AM.

If you don't understand why the defense starts to fall a part eventually like it did last night then you simply have never played competitive basketball. It's all a snow ball affect. You can't play good defense when your legs are worn down and you can't move laterally. And when majority of them are playing 30+ minutes when they're not used it or honestly good enough to be in that situation to begin with, then it's going to break down. Throw in the factor of playing on the road and the fact they have to use more energy on offense since they don't have the pieces then it all adds up.

It's not like any of them while playing all those minutes can take an offensive play off and just let Tre or Ed go to work. That would be one thing. But they simply can't without the bodies. They didn't push the ball basically at all last night and told Q to use the whole shot clock to shorten the game. And they still got tired. What does that tell you

I thought the other problem defensively in the second half was that X missed shots and had turnovers, which led to fast breaks for Providence. X was also forced to play a lot of zone yesterday, and I don't this team plays zone very well.

Another problem is that X was often playing a five at the 4 spot, which hasn't happened all year.

I am hopeful that I will look back on this season as the one that steeled the freshmen and younger guys for the next 2-3 seasons. The season that gave these guys lessons in defense, offense, and what it is like to not have enough to win so that the effort becomes ridiculous the next few years WITH enough talent to really do damage for an entire season. This is the injury year that creates a multi-year, title contending team with that "We WILL win" attitude.

I have to believe. It also helps that X is 18-8 and we are all so spoiled now that we are unhappy!
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Per Casual Fan- "Welcome to college basketball where turnover happens."

This isn't standard or even large turnover. It is catastrophic turnover. Seven our top eight players from last year were not on the floor last night. It's the equivalent of having your entire starting lineup graduating, and then some.

Yesterday's starting lineup, and the first substitute, included four players who didn't play a minute for X last year.

It's just too much to overcome against good teams on the road. For X to win yesterday, Providence had to play really poorly and X had to play great. It didn't happen.
    You're not telling the whole story.

Of the 7 guys that played last night 2 are seniors and 2 are juniors.

More than half the guys we ran out there last night are upperclassmen.

Now Bernard and Gaston weren't here last year but that doesn't make them any less experienced. You can't go out and get multiple 5th year transfers and then cry wolf about not returning a bunch of guys from last year.

We lost 3 out of our 4 best players guys. 2 of them are All Conference level.
    Run the table.

Quote Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
    You're not telling the whole story.

Of the 7 guys that played last night 2 are seniors and 2 are juniors.

More than half the guys we ran out there last night are upperclassmen.

Now Bernard and Gaston weren't here last year but that doesn't make them any less experienced. You can't go out and get multiple 5th year transfers and then cry wolf about not returning a bunch of guys from last year.
    When we got Bernard, we weren't even expecting him to contribute this year. He was going to be the 11th man who maybe provided depth and some solid defense in spells. Then we lost Ekiyor, Myles, and Kaiser to start the season. Got Kaiser back, but then lost Ed and lost Tre for a few games. The plan was always from Bernard to be a five to ten minute guy, but due to uncommon events, he's been asked to be something he isn't. Just because he's a 5th year senior doesn't mean he should be expected to be good, especially looking at his prior teams.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    We lost 3 out of our 4 best players guys. 2 of them are All Conference level.
    No doubt.

All I'm saying is that the "We barely have any guys left from last year" argument is a kind of a hollow one.

You can't make a habit of taking multiple 5th year guys and then complain when you don't have a deep bench of returning players.

I'm not downplaying the loss of the guys we are missing.

Just that the guys we are playing are not as inexperienced as '87 wants you to believe, even if their experience didn't come here.