Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ed Should Sit

Quote Originally Posted by GOX View Post
    We have folks saying : (1) "From everything I've heard, this is an injury that can be played through". Did anyone tell you what the injury is?
    Saying an injury can be played through says nothing about whether it is prudent to do it.
    (2). "It is not something that can get worse". I do not know if there is such a thing as a shoulder injury that with continued motion/ stress/heavy contact that can not worsen, but I am open to being informed.
    Torn labrum.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Agree with this. Shutting it down would clearly be a decision to take care of his future earning potential, one that I wouldn't fault Ed for at all. Not sure he would shut it down and then return, but you never know.
    There's no doubt that shutting down and getting the surgery out of the way now is a forward-looking decision. But the decision may not be entirely his (at least not if it matters to him WHERE he gets drafted). First, he would have a mixed bag of performance this year. Second, he will be coming off a surgery, and likely would not be able to participate in pre-draft combines, camps, or workouts. Third, he will have missed 1 1/2 of his 3 years of collegiate play. And fourth, this is a pretty stocked draft.

If he shuts it down now, I suspect it's to preserve the possibility of entering the draft this year. But I'm just not convinced that ultimately he will be best situated to do so. And regardless what he may or may not be hearing about those prospects now, I suspect his draft stock will only get worse as the season draws to a close and the annual tourney heroes rise up.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by GOX View Post
    We have folks saying : (1) "From everything I've heard, this is an injury that can be played through". Did anyone tell you what the injury is?
    Saying an injury can be played through says nothing about whether it is prudent to do it.
    (2). "It is not something that can get worse". I do not know if there is such a thing as a shoulder injury that with continued motion/ stress/heavy contact that can not worsen, but I am open to being informed.
    I've been told it is a torn labrum.

And that didn't come from Skinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    This post is giving me deja vu.
    Yup! These threads are giving me deja vu. And I didn't want to figure out how to say the same thing a different way.

Wouldn't just having surgery, getting healthy, lifting weights, and coming back for an impressive year to be drafted early in the first round make more sense than coming out with so many questions? I have no idea. It's an honest question.

Quote Originally Posted by XfansinKy View Post
    Wouldn't just having surgery, getting healthy, lifting weights, and coming back for an impressive year to be drafted early in the first round make more sense than coming out with so many questions? I have no idea. It's an honest question.
    What's makes you think he will be an early first round pick next year? It's not so cut and dry that I'd he stays he automatically moves up the board next year.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Muskie View Post
    There's no doubt that shutting down and getting the surgery out of the way now is a forward-looking decision. But the decision may not be entirely his (at least not if it matters to him WHERE he gets drafted). First, he would have a mixed bag of performance this year. Second, he will be coming off a surgery, and likely would not be able to participate in pre-draft combines, camps, or workouts. Third, he will have missed 1 1/2 of his 3 years of collegiate play. And fourth, this is a pretty stocked draft.

If he shuts it down now, I suspect it's to preserve the possibility of entering the draft this year. But I'm just not convinced that ultimately he will be best situated to do so. And regardless what he may or may not be hearing about those prospects now, I suspect his draft stock will only get worse as the season draws to a close and the annual tourney heroes rise up.
    I wasn't amazed last year by Kris Dunn's play. But he wowed scouts and was a lottery pick.

I get that line of thinking, if you could guarantee it would happen. Would he get bigger next year, even though he didn't this year? Is he going to develop a jump-shot? What if he sustains another injury, more serious? If he really thought he was going pro after this year, and I'm pretty sure he did, why didn't he do all of these things this year (I suspect he tried to effect all of these things, just pointing out that it's unlikely he would be worlds different next year)? Point is, if Ed can make life-changing money this year, I think he has to take it if he wants to.

I hope you're right. My brother in law graduated from EKU and played two seasons in the NFL at the player minimum. After agent fees, relocating, taxes, a house and car etc he has a regular job now. He actually had to go back to school and get his master's. I imagine the NFL and NBA pays young players somewhat similar. I hope if Ed goes, he has staying power, and doesn't get hurt his first year or two. He seems like an awesome kid.
    Last edited by XfansinKy; 01-28-2017 at 09:02 PM.

I hope you're right. My brother in law graduated from EKU and played two seasons in the NFL at the player minimum. After agent fees, relocating, taxes, a house and car etc he has a regular job now. He actually had to go back to school and get his master's. I imagine the NFL and NBA pays young players somewhat similar. I hope if Ed goes, he has staying power, and doesn't get hurt his first year or two. He seems like an awesome kid.
    NFL minimum as a rookie is $450K. NBA minimum is $543 this year.