Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2735363738 LastLast

Thread: Quentin Goodin

Anyone who is expecting Q to magically be an excellent 3 point shooter is crazy. I think with better shot selection and more pieces around him, we could hope for 33-35%. His best ever three point shooting season was his junior year of high school at 32%. He's not going to suddenly shoot 40% this year.

I think many of us are just hoping for the Q level of play from two seasons ago over last years injury plagued campaign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    Anyone who is expecting Q to magically be an excellent 3 point shooter is crazy. He's not going to suddenly shoot 40% this year.
    It's a long shot but not crazy. Like MUSKIE pointed out he was injured most of last year. I doubt that he was ever 100%. His 2017-18 numbers clearly show he is capable of getting there when healthy and obviously more experienced. If he hits only 5 more 3s two years ago, that gets him real close to 40%.....you know at least 5 rimmed out!
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    It's a long shot but not crazy. Like MUSKIE pointed out he was injured most of last year. I doubt that he was ever 100%. His 2017-18 numbers clearly show he is capable of getting there when healthy and obviously more experienced. If he hits only 5 more 3s two years ago, that gets him real close to 40%.....you know at least 5 rimmed out!
    He also banked in at least 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Yeah, we frequently cited that. The real problem was that Q was the only real PG we had. His assist rate was 25.5%; nobody else had one that was even 20%. Castlin and Hardin were both below 7% and Kennedy was just a touch over 8%. No question Q had some huge flaws in his game last year, most notably a pathological desire to shoot the ball despite a lot of evidence indicating it was a bad idea for him to do so, but we had exactly zero other dudes to manage and distribute the ball in his absence.

He missed four games, which I'm not sure meets the threshold of "several," and I'd push back against the idea that the roster successfully sustained itself in his absence. They beat two low majors and made two borderline miraculous comebacks. I feel like the lack of a reliable ballhandler would have been exposed down the line.

Also, he may have "sucked" last year, but his ORtg was 96.0 to Naji's 95.1. I'm not denying he was bad last year, but he may not have been the anchor he's been made out to be by some folks.
    Yeah that's fair and getting back to the original point - Q didn't suck last year because of his shoulder. I think you and I would both agree that Q is not shooting 40% from 3 next year (especially if they move it back). I also think that we would agree that, outside of passing, taking the ball to the hole is Q's best asset. All I was saying was that if user A who I originally responded to thinks Q could've shot 40% from 3 and be a God then maybe Q should've sat out a couple more games if "90% of the problem" was the shoulder. I guess that makes me a troll. I'm not a Q hater. I said on many occasions last season that we needed Q. Just wish he played better is all as does everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by XMann View Post
    Yeah that's fair and getting back to the original point - Q didn't suck last year because of his shoulder. I think you and I would both agree that Q is not shooting 40% from 3 next year (especially if they move it back). I also think that we would agree that, outside of passing, taking the ball to the hole is Q's best asset. All I was saying was that if user A who I originally responded to thinks Q could've shot 40% from 3 and be a God then maybe Q should've sat out a couple more games if "90% of the problem" was the shoulder. I guess that makes me a troll. I'm not a Q hater. I said on many occasions last season that we needed Q. Just wish he played better is all as does everyone.
    -Taking bad shots is not caused by Shoulder Inuries.

-Having a sloppy handle / making sloppy passes is not caused by Shoulder Injuries.

-Being tentative going to the whole, and as a result trying to do other things like shooting shots you shouldnt take COULD be caused by shoulder injuries.

I buy the injury excuse to some degree. I think he couldnt drive, and decided that he would try to contribute in ways that dont match his strength. Put alot of pressure on himself, and as it proved to not work too well, I think the pressure mounted.

I think he will be much better next year. like I said previously, his FT attempts per game will be the measure of his contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Yeah, we frequently cited that. The real problem was that Q was the only real PG we had. His assist rate was 25.5%; nobody else had one that was even 20%. Castlin and Hardin were both below 7% and Kennedy was just a touch over 8%. No question Q had some huge flaws in his game last year, most notably a pathological desire to shoot the ball despite a lot of evidence indicating it was a bad idea for him to do so, but we had exactly zero other dudes to manage and distribute the ball in his absence.

He missed four games, which I'm not sure meets the threshold of "several," and I'd push back against the idea that the roster successfully sustained itself in his absence. They beat two low majors and made two borderline miraculous comebacks. I feel like the lack of a reliable ballhandler would have been exposed down the line.

Also, he may have "sucked" last year, but his ORtg was 96.0 to Naji's 95.1. I'm not denying he was bad last year, but he may not have been the anchor he's been made out to be by some folks.
    I wouldn't say Q was "bad" last year. He struggled shooting, but as you point out, he was the only true ball handler on the team, and he did that fairly well.

Next year, he needs to distribute and not look for his shot as much. I suspect the reason he shot so much last year was because X didn't have many other shooters or scorers.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I wouldn't say Q was "bad" last year. He struggled shooting, but as you point out, he was the only true ball handler on the team, and he did that fairly well.

Next year, he needs to distribute and not look for his shot as much. I suspect the reason he shot so much last year was because X didn't have many other shooters or scorers.
    Not bad, but not good. I definitely think being the only ball handler on the team had some effect to that, but it was again the decision making, forcing shots, taking dumb shots, etc. more than anything. I was also a little worried that his FT% went down 13%, granted he took more last season, but I'd like for our PG to be in the high 70s like he was his Sophomore year. I think we expected Q to make a big jump from Sophomore to Junior year (fairly or unfairly is a different debate), without realizing that he's going to have to shoulder (no pun intended) a bigger role in scoring, which isn't the strength of his game. With more weapons, I think he'll be what we expected him to be quite frankly, it's a lot easier to not force shots if everyone on the court can score as opposed to having to be one of the top options.

Quote Originally Posted by xufan2020 View Post
    Since everyone’s favorite musketeer announced his return, I’ve been wondering where he goes from here.
    I think he’ll have a better year for the simple reason that he won’t be asked to shoulder as much burden with the more talented roster coming in next season. The spacing will be better too with more shooters on this team, allowing him to drive more effectively. Also I’ve never had a problem with him taking threes when they were good looks, he just forced too much last year and his 3pt% reflected that.
    Next year has all the makings for a much improved team. Here’s to hoping for a big year from Q.
    Yeah I’ll eat crow on this one.
    I understand having a down year in production, but Q regressed like someone I’ve never seen at X. I’m not a sports psychologist but there was something just off with his play this year. The mental mistakes, the lazy passes, the blown layups.. blame who you want but it’s baffling to believe he still finished with as many points and assists for his career as he did.
    Personally I think his regression was the combination of a poor shooting team limiting the spacing/his ability to effectively drive and kick (which I realize contradicts what I said above back in May) along with his mental/confidence issues.
    I don’t see this as something to be worried about moving forward because of Freemantle and Kyky.
    None of this really matters now, but it’s interesting to think about.
    I do wish him the very best in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by xufan2020 View Post
    Yeah I’ll eat crow on this one.
    I understand having a down year in production, but Q regressed like someone I’ve never seen at X. I’m not a sports psychologist but there was something just off with his play this year. The mental mistakes, the lazy passes, the blown layups.. blame who you want but it’s baffling to believe he still finished with as many points and assists for his career as he did.
    Personally I think his regression was the combination of a poor shooting team limiting the spacing/his ability to effectively drive and kick (which I realize contradicts what I said above back in May) along with his mental/confidence issues.
    I don’t see this as something to be worried about moving forward because of Freemantle and Kyky.
    None of this really matters now, but it’s interesting to think about.
    I do wish him the very best in his career.
    His career doing what in particular and where?

Just curious.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.