Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637
Results 361 to 368 of 368

Thread: Quentin Goodin

  1. #361
    Junior XMuskieFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,454
    Anyone who is expecting Q to magically be an excellent 3 point shooter is crazy. I think with better shot selection and more pieces around him, we could hope for 33-35%. His best ever three point shooting season was his junior year of high school at 32%. He's not going to suddenly shoot 40% this year.

  2. #362
    Administrator Muskie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    12,279
    I think many of us are just hoping for the Q level of play from two seasons ago over last years injury plagued campaign.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

    Follow XH on Twitter

    Follow XH on Facebook

  3. #363
    Sophomore Xuperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,031
    Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    Anyone who is expecting Q to magically be an excellent 3 point shooter is crazy. He's not going to suddenly shoot 40% this year.
    It's a long shot but not crazy. Like MUSKIE pointed out he was injured most of last year. I doubt that he was ever 100%. His 2017-18 numbers clearly show he is capable of getting there when healthy and obviously more experienced. If he hits only 5 more 3s two years ago, that gets him real close to 40%.....you know at least 5 rimmed out!
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

  4. #364
    Junior XMuskieFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    It's a long shot but not crazy. Like MUSKIE pointed out he was injured most of last year. I doubt that he was ever 100%. His 2017-18 numbers clearly show he is capable of getting there when healthy and obviously more experienced. If he hits only 5 more 3s two years ago, that gets him real close to 40%.....you know at least 5 rimmed out!
    He also banked in at least 6.

  5. #365
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Yeah, we frequently cited that. The real problem was that Q was the only real PG we had. His assist rate was 25.5%; nobody else had one that was even 20%. Castlin and Hardin were both below 7% and Kennedy was just a touch over 8%. No question Q had some huge flaws in his game last year, most notably a pathological desire to shoot the ball despite a lot of evidence indicating it was a bad idea for him to do so, but we had exactly zero other dudes to manage and distribute the ball in his absence.

    He missed four games, which I'm not sure meets the threshold of "several," and I'd push back against the idea that the roster successfully sustained itself in his absence. They beat two low majors and made two borderline miraculous comebacks. I feel like the lack of a reliable ballhandler would have been exposed down the line.

    Also, he may have "sucked" last year, but his ORtg was 96.0 to Naji's 95.1. I'm not denying he was bad last year, but he may not have been the anchor he's been made out to be by some folks.
    Yeah that's fair and getting back to the original point - Q didn't suck last year because of his shoulder. I think you and I would both agree that Q is not shooting 40% from 3 next year (especially if they move it back). I also think that we would agree that, outside of passing, taking the ball to the hole is Q's best asset. All I was saying was that if user A who I originally responded to thinks Q could've shot 40% from 3 and be a God then maybe Q should've sat out a couple more games if "90% of the problem" was the shoulder. I guess that makes me a troll. I'm not a Q hater. I said on many occasions last season that we needed Q. Just wish he played better is all as does everyone.

  6. #366
    Sophomore MHettel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,781
    Quote Originally Posted by XMann View Post
    Yeah that's fair and getting back to the original point - Q didn't suck last year because of his shoulder. I think you and I would both agree that Q is not shooting 40% from 3 next year (especially if they move it back). I also think that we would agree that, outside of passing, taking the ball to the hole is Q's best asset. All I was saying was that if user A who I originally responded to thinks Q could've shot 40% from 3 and be a God then maybe Q should've sat out a couple more games if "90% of the problem" was the shoulder. I guess that makes me a troll. I'm not a Q hater. I said on many occasions last season that we needed Q. Just wish he played better is all as does everyone.
    -Taking bad shots is not caused by Shoulder Inuries.

    -Having a sloppy handle / making sloppy passes is not caused by Shoulder Injuries.

    -Being tentative going to the whole, and as a result trying to do other things like shooting shots you shouldnt take COULD be caused by shoulder injuries.

    I buy the injury excuse to some degree. I think he couldnt drive, and decided that he would try to contribute in ways that dont match his strength. Put alot of pressure on himself, and as it proved to not work too well, I think the pressure mounted.

    I think he will be much better next year. like I said previously, his FT attempts per game will be the measure of his contribution.

  7. #367
    Supporting Member XU 87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,344
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Yeah, we frequently cited that. The real problem was that Q was the only real PG we had. His assist rate was 25.5%; nobody else had one that was even 20%. Castlin and Hardin were both below 7% and Kennedy was just a touch over 8%. No question Q had some huge flaws in his game last year, most notably a pathological desire to shoot the ball despite a lot of evidence indicating it was a bad idea for him to do so, but we had exactly zero other dudes to manage and distribute the ball in his absence.

    He missed four games, which I'm not sure meets the threshold of "several," and I'd push back against the idea that the roster successfully sustained itself in his absence. They beat two low majors and made two borderline miraculous comebacks. I feel like the lack of a reliable ballhandler would have been exposed down the line.

    Also, he may have "sucked" last year, but his ORtg was 96.0 to Naji's 95.1. I'm not denying he was bad last year, but he may not have been the anchor he's been made out to be by some folks.
    I wouldn't say Q was "bad" last year. He struggled shooting, but as you point out, he was the only true ball handler on the team, and he did that fairly well.

    Next year, he needs to distribute and not look for his shot as much. I suspect the reason he shot so much last year was because X didn't have many other shooters or scorers.

  8. #368
    Supporting Member GIMMFD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,790
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I wouldn't say Q was "bad" last year. He struggled shooting, but as you point out, he was the only true ball handler on the team, and he did that fairly well.

    Next year, he needs to distribute and not look for his shot as much. I suspect the reason he shot so much last year was because X didn't have many other shooters or scorers.
    Not bad, but not good. I definitely think being the only ball handler on the team had some effect to that, but it was again the decision making, forcing shots, taking dumb shots, etc. more than anything. I was also a little worried that his FT% went down 13%, granted he took more last season, but I'd like for our PG to be in the high 70s like he was his Sophomore year. I think we expected Q to make a big jump from Sophomore to Junior year (fairly or unfairly is a different debate), without realizing that he's going to have to shoulder (no pun intended) a bigger role in scoring, which isn't the strength of his game. With more weapons, I think he'll be what we expected him to be quite frankly, it's a lot easier to not force shots if everyone on the court can score as opposed to having to be one of the top options.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •