Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Walk-On

Is J.P. Macura Coachable?

Chris Mack was very candid in his post Butler game press conference about this game and the state of this team.Two things stood out: Bluett and Macura are now juniors and they have to be leaders and consistent. They cannot have bad games where they , as they did yesterday combine for 10 turnovers which was as many as Butler had as a team.
    Second, the players are not tuned in. Both times they set up traps he explicily told them not to foul and they did anyway.
    His frustration was palpable.
    As he said, it all comes back to him as a coach. In other words he knows his players have to develop, get better, mature, gain skills and confidence year over year and he/we are not seeing that.
    I think Chris Mack is a great coach able to bring the best out of his players.
    But he has , particularly in Macura, an uncoachable player.
    To see Macura have 7 turnovers, two of them in a row, leading to points when the game was close, says a lot. Lazy passes, passing to players that are covered, passing to players he has not communicated to that the ball might be coming.
    What does a coach do with someone who refuses to drill down on fundamentals.
    Usually you sit them.
    How would you handle Macura?
    Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

I'm not sure about uncoachable. It seems that Mack gives him a lot of leeway, and for good reasons. Many times JP sparks the team through hitting shots when no one else is, making good defensive plays, and playing with passion. Are his lazy passes and mental errors frustrating? For sure.

My main thing with JP is when does he "turn the corner" and put it all together to be a team leader. Similar to what Coach Mack said, he and Tre have to be more consistent. We know they have it in them. Just hope it "clicks" soon.

I think he gets overconfident at times. I love that he's scrappy and gets after it. This team needs more of that. If JP can just reel in a few of those bad shots and mental mistakes, he could be so much better. He's a good shooter when his feet are set, and can pass really well in the open court. Coach Mack is doing great with what he has overall. Every coach has a not so great game every now and then. I don't know about how hard headed JP is. He's got a lot of upside if he will just cut down on mental errors.

He gets overconfident and then makes bad decisions on shooting and in flashy passing. It had to stop soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

I think you can say the same thing about Summer. It's blindingly obvious when he's going to drive the lane and our opponents are seeing it too, resulting in poor shots or turnovers. I will say to my wife while watching the game that he's not passing and going to drive. I'm right probably 90% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    I think you can say the same thing about Summer. It's blindingly obvious when he's going to drive the lane and our opponents are seeing it too, resulting in poor shots or turnovers. I will say to my wife while watching the game that he's not passing and going to drive. I'm right probably 90% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes and the rest of the team too. Not a lot of mystery in our offensive play calling and execution. Its why Jay Wright toyed with us this week.

Sophomore
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    He gets overconfident and then makes bad decisions on shooting and in flashy passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I would agree that happens at times.

The three point shot he took at the end, and air balled, was a terrible shot and even worse decision.

Sophomore
    Same as with Nova game, 5 for 6 for our bigs, but again only 6 shots! Feed the post in games where you have the advantage--Nova and Butler. But for some reason our guards don't!

No one on Butler could guard 'Shid or really Sean, but shots kept being jacked from outside. A couple of those were just ridiculous- a couple from JP but also one I can remember from Tre. As to Ed, until he shows some type of mid-range game, teams will just pack the paint & play off of him outside the foul line. Despite the spectacular play, I continue to say he is not NBA ready. Ed needs to fill his game out and that includes figuring out the balance of scoring vs assists.

I keep saying it. This team is not Top 25 worthy. Too many offensive holes too much of the time. Need the bench to step into those holes and the starters to stop having brain farts.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell