Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Quite frankly I don't know either because outside of Sumner (who likes to turn the ball over quite a bit), we don't have anyone really athletic enough to take guys off the dribble. JP can do a little, myles can do a little, but the majority of the team can't especially against the good teams. There isn't a Josh Hart, Jalen Brunson or Kris Jenkins on this team. Our personnel makes us pretty limited offensively. If X isn't shooting well from outside, with the inconsistency of the inside game, there isn't much X can do.
    Exactly. One guy who can really put the ball on the floor and create.....

So, with that its really important to be able to install an offense that get's guys in the right spots in order to take advantage of your strengths.

Now, what our strengths are offensively is anyone's guess......b/c we don't shoot it well from inside or outside the arc........

Gotta find a way to get easier shots and doing this consistently.

Also, FWIW (not much), as someone who also frequents IU boards -- XavierHoops definitely gave Hoosier Internet land a run for the money as far as post-loss meltdown last night, and IU is in way worse shape than X. So if nothing else, we're moving into blue blood message board territory.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Exactly. One guy who can really put the ball on the floor and create.....

So, with that its really important to be able to install an offense that get's guys in the right spots in order to take advantage of your strengths.

Now, what our strengths are offensively is anyone's guess......b/c we don't shoot it well from inside or outside the arc........

Gotta find a way to get easier shots and doing this consistently.
    YES! SO often our offensive philosophy seems to be "Ok, who can create their own shot, get out there and do it!" My contention is that our shooting percentages are so low because we don't see any high percentage looks (i.e. wide open). If we installed some plays (variety!) to switch it up, maybe we actually get something other than step back threes and rushed shots at the end of the shot clock.

I'm laughing because reading these responses, I'm actually starting to think about it and I can't remember any exact sets they ran. Last year, and really ever year for Mack, they used to run the same sets all the time. And I used to always think, the other team has to know what's coming cause I've seen it so many times myself. But those sets were always about making reads and making the correct decision off the action.

And I agree with you all, I don't see that as much this year. I know Mack installs more and more offense as the year goes along. But he needs to get some of em going now. Because Butler is not going to just crumble off 1 on 1's. And I'll give him some benefit of the doubt because when Nova switches everything, it's hard to run a regular offense. But this is year 4 against the same defense and still have the same results

We have 3 losses, 2 of which are to teams that have been ranked #1 in the country this year. Yes we played terrible, yes we should have been better but its not the end of the world or our season.

My biggest concern is the 3 point attempts. Holy #(&$#*&$. At some point you have to stop shooting the ball when its not going in and try something else
    Last edited by atljar; 01-11-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xufan2434 View Post
    I'm laughing because reading these responses, I'm actually starting to think about it and I can't remember any exact sets they ran. Last year, and really ever year for Mack, they used to run the same sets all the time. And I used to always think, the other team has to know what's coming cause I've seen it so many times myself. But those sets were always about making reads and making the correct decision off the action.

And I agree with you all, I don't see that as much this year. I know Mack installs more and more offense as the year goes along. But he needs to get some of em going now. Because Butler is not going to just crumble off 1 on 1's. And I'll give him some benefit of the doubt because when Nova switches everything, it's hard to run a regular offense. But this is year 4 against the same defense and still have the same results
    Couldn't agree more. I'm not saying that our sets are bad but they are flex sets which require reads and court vision that our guys do not exhibit in our losses, and quite frankly, some of our wins. Yes, IMO, he needs to install some different looks, if for nothing else than to keep opposing defenses on their toes.

Over the last three and a half years we've had three teams win the national title, and two teams win at Villanova.

Most people probably don't stop to think about this, but from a probability standpoint there are some regular season games that teams have a smaller chance of winning than they do of making the Final Four or even winning it all. Winning at Nova isn't quite up there with winning at Kansas, but it's close. Now, I know we lost by 25 and the way we lost is discouraging, but the loss in and of itself is not. You really are shooting for the moon in a game like that. And, IMHO, that's not a bad thing. We're no worse off now than we were 24 hours ago. Let's realize that if you don't play harder or better you're going to keep getting your nose bloodied whenever you go on the road, and just worry about winning Saturday, staying in the rankings, and staying atop the Big East standings.

It's okay. It really is. I'm a pessimist as most of you know, and even I think things are okay.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

The season is a lifetime.

Giggity.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Quote Originally Posted by atljar View Post
    We have 3 losses, 2 of which are to teams that have been ranked #1 in the country this year. Yes we played terrible, yes we should have been better but its not the end of the world or our season.

My biggest concern is the 3 point attempts. Holy #(&$#*&$. At some point you have to stop shooting the ball when its not going in and try something else
    Yes the shooting was really bad. 11-26 from 2 and 6-32 from 3. Yikes!

Sophomore
    If Dee Davis does not hit the foul shots at Creighton in last game, X is 17-13 and in NIT. Remember many of the 7-16 seeds go to small conferences especially if a hot team in the MAAC or Big South or Horizon beats an undefeated team and 2 teams are let in You don't go from 6 to 7, you go from 6 to maybe out. I am a big fan with 2 kids at X and met Matt S in Conn(thanks to Dan Patrick) but these things can go the other way especially when every team including St Johns can beat you. Providence beat Depaul who lost at buzzer to Villanova at Villanova so you can see the danger of a lack of urgency. I trust Mack and this is a very good team but I am just speaking from experience(and I saw Lew Alcindor beat Dayton and Don May(my favorite Ohio player). Go X.