Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    Yeah, Reynolds and Farr combined for 40 minutes per game, because Mack also played them together in the 1-3-1. Gaston and O'Mara together have combined for 32 minutes per game so far this season. In terms of rebounding, Gaston and Reynolds are pretty much even, but O'Mara and Farr are worlds apart. This divide is partially because Farr can probably be mentioned in comparison with the best rebounders in Xavier history, but also because O'Mara, while a good offensive rebounder, is a subpar defensive rebounder so far this season.*
    Great breakdown 09. I really enjoyed it.

The only thing I'd add is a mention of our front court's fouling throughout the year. To me, that has been the biggest determinant of playing time for the front court over the years. Per minute, Tyrique Jones fouls at an alarming rate (9.9 per 40 minutes). O'Mara is at about the same rate he was last year (6.3 v 6.6), although he's gotten notably better as of late, probably to the detriment of his blocks. Gaston on the other hand has been great (4.9). He has effectively replaced Farr in most ways, and without the same shooting range. The only place I'd really like to see him improve is FT shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    Great breakdown 09. I really enjoyed it.

The only thing I'd add is a mention of our front court's fouling throughout the year. To me, that has been the biggest determinant of playing time for the front court over the years. Per minute, Tyrique Jones fouls at an alarming rate (9.9 per 40 minutes). O'Mara is at about the same rate he was last year (6.3 v 6.6), although he's gotten notably better as of late, probably to the detriment of his blocks. Gaston on the other hand has been great (4.9). He has effectively replaced Farr in most ways, and without the same shooting range. The only place I'd really like to see him improve is FT shooting.
    Yeah, I think it would be fairly accurate to say that Gaston replaced Farr. He isn't as strong on the offensive end but he's much stronger on the defensive end. Much of what they do otherwise is fairly similar.

That's a good point about O'Mara's shot blocking. His rate really dropped off between this year in last year. Overall, he seems to be more focused on just walling up defensively, which is itself pretty effective when you consider his size. I think his foul rate this year is just coincidentally close to last year's in the small sample size, but I bet it goes down some as the season progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by XUFan09 View Post
    Yeah, I think it would be fairly accurate to say that Gaston replaced Farr. He isn't as strong on the offensive end but he's much stronger on the defensive end. Much of what they do otherwise is fairly similar.

That's a good point about O'Mara's shot blocking. His rate really dropped off between this year in last year. Overall, he seems to be more focused on just walling up defensively, which is itself pretty effective when you consider his size. I think his foul rate this year is just coincidentally close to last year's in the small sample size, but I bet it goes down some as the season progresses.
    I think I'd probably be counted as a naysayer of O'Mara, this is a nice article and story, but he's yet to meet the expectations of many. His playing time has also fallen significantly in the past weeks. His season average is low at 13 minutes, and it's only 9.5 minutes in the last 6 games...