WBB: Women improve to 4-0

Link

Xavier women's basketball held its third straight opponent under 50 points on Sunday afternoon as the Musketeers moved to 4-0 on the year with a 62-41 win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

The Lady Lions dropped to the 0-4 on the year. Xavier also limited UAPB to a .271 field-goal percentage, a season-best for the Musketeers' defense.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

I like the scheduling approach the women's team has taken. Once they get the program back on its feet (which seems to be taking a really long time), they can get more aggressive.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I like the scheduling approach the women's team has taken. Once they get the program back on its feet (which seems to be taking a really long time), they can get more aggressive.
    I don't like it. Their non-conference strength of schedule last year was 331. There's little to be gained by beating a slate of awful teams. It doesn't help them get better, and if they happen to have a strong season, it will cost them.

I understand there's going to be some cupcakes, but I'd rather see them trade in, say, two of their games against 200+ RPI teams and play someone around where they are in the 100-199 range (Xavier's RPI was 170 last year). Here are some teams in that range that I think would be far more interesting than Delaware State (321) and Arkansas Pine Bluff (336) (2015-16 RPI in parenthases):

Northwestern (109)
    Nebraska (111)
    Virginia Tech (114)
    Boston College (120)
    Memphis (121)
    St. Joe's (123)
    Pitt (132)
    Iowa St (137)
    Penn St (139)
    Arkansas (142)
    Alabama (159)
    Illinois (188)

There are a number of less high profile MAC, Horizon, OVC, Summit, Conference USA, or A-10 teams (like NKU, Wright State, Toledo, Marshall, IUPUI) that could fit the 100-200 category, too.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by usfldan View Post
    I don't like it. Their non-conference strength of schedule last year was 331. There's little to be gained by beating a slate of awful teams. It doesn't help them get better, and if they happen to have a strong season, it will cost them.

I understand there's going to be some cupcakes, but I'd rather see them trade in, say, two of their games against 200+ RPI teams and play someone around where they are in the 100-199 range (Xavier's RPI was 170 last year). Here are some teams in that range that I think would be far more interesting than Delaware State (321) and Arkansas Pine Bluff (336) (2015-16 RPI in parenthases):

Northwestern (109)
    Nebraska (111)
    Virginia Tech (114)
    Boston College (120)
    Memphis (121)
    St. Joe's (123)
    Pitt (132)
    Iowa St (137)
    Penn St (139)
    Arkansas (142)
    Alabama (159)
    Illinois (188)

There are a number of less high profile MAC, Horizon, OVC, Summit, Conference USA, or A-10 teams (like NKU, Wright State, Toledo, Marshall, IUPUI) that could fit the 100-200 category, too.
    I completely agree. The schedule has been pretty awful the last few years. It doesn't get discussed much since there is unfortunately not much interest in the women's team, but it's time to start picking it up a little. It seems there has been enough time to regroup.

Massive win tonight over Michigan to put the team at 6-0. Michigan is a good team who was 31 in rpi entering today and absolutely annihilated us last year. Things are looking up.

Supporting Member
    The D last night was great, they worked on every facet of their game. The guy can coach and now he has girls that listen and perform. The program is looking up.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Women's Crosstown Shootout is at 2 PM today. UC is actually offering free admission for this game (along with all their Olympic sports outside of baseball this season).

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar