Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ominous future

Junior

Ominous future

1 player on All BE first team, none on 2nd, none on honorable mention, and none on all freshman team.
    Not the most encouraging future for X. Hope some of the new blood is ready to go, or next year could be a bummer.

I have a hunch we'll be ok.
    Run the table.

This is how we measure the future now?

Stanley Burrell would probably not approve of this method.

Here is what I see:

I see a team that lost two interior players (one early) and then suspended a senior point guard and played down from the beginning. They were then forced to restructure on the fly and THEN lost their best player (arguably) to an ACL and their other best player to an ankle for a substantial part of the year which forced the players into even more different roles YET, they have 19 wins and a real shot at making the dance.

These circumstances 10 years ago result in a lost season with 19 losses instead of wins. Instead, this lost season might still end in the NCAA Tournament. X is not the best in the Big East this year, but they are still better than a great number of teams out there.

I'll take the mess of this season and where they are headed over where this was when it started in the 80's every day of the week.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    1 player on All BE first team, none on 2nd, none on honorable mention, and none on all freshman team.
    Not the most encouraging future for X. Hope some of the new blood is ready to go, or next year could be a bummer.
    X has two top 50 players, among a few other good players, coming in next year.

X also should have four returning starters.
    Last edited by XU 87; 03-06-2017 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I don't know who else you expected to make the list. My guess is JP might have made the Honorable Mention had his percentages been better. But due to injuries and him kind of having to force things, his numbers weren't that great. Depending on who all decides to come back next year, they could definitely have guys on the preseason teams. I expect Scruggs to be on the preseason freshmen team. If Ed and Tre are both gone next year, then yes I expect some bumps along the way. I'll take a rocky but exciting year next year due to youth and inexperience over one with all kinds of promise railroaded by injuries and off the court issues

Sophomore
    While this season is certainly a disappointment independent of injuries, I do think we have some very quality pieces coming in. Granted, we don't return much if Tre/Ed leave, so next year probably will be rough (next year we might have to worry about our conference .500 streak), the years after should be somewhat better if Mack can continue to stock the program with quality players (that stick around for awhile).

Sophomore
    I don't think this is a big deal given what we have coming in.

I mean the way the roster is balanced and the need for a big class coming in next year sucks as it might lead to a rough year next year, but long term I think we'll be fine.

The one potential issue I see is what might happen if Mack were to leave after this year.

If that were to happen I am sure a few of those guys in this upcoming class would open things up.

Given the importance of this class to get the program back on track that would be no bueno.

Other than that I think we will be fine long term even if it means next year as a little rough.

We play in a really good conference.

Freshman
    Anybody have any reason to believe that Mack may be unsettled at Xavier? I would hate for him to leave.