Page 937 of 2119 FirstFirst ... 437837887927935936937938939947987103714371937 ... LastLast
Results 9,361 to 9,370 of 21188

Thread: Politics Thread

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    On this we agree Bobbie. That is a fucked up take Booze.
    We were the generation that demonstrated and caused the passage of the Civil Rights Act plus demonstrated in the streets for real change.
    We were the generation that had the smarts to come up with technology that put a man on the moon, gave us computers and many of the products that make life easier today.
    We were the generation that actually defeated Russian dominance over much of Europe via smarts not war.
    We were the generation that were cut from teams, that had to earn everything we got, that worked our asses off to give the next generation a better life.
    Now all the entitled cool kids with their participation trophies want to dump on their predecessors. Screw that.
    You are the generation that raised those kids with their participation trophies, that was booze's point

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrett View Post
    The Capitol police, basically stepped aside and let the domestic terrorists in. I saw video of an officer taking a selfie with some of them. Doesn't give me a lot of faith.
    Not really. They shot and killed an unarmed AF veteran. What’s her name?

This generational discussion is stupid. There are plenty of these people in each generation.

That was sad that anyone lost their life. Her name was Ashli Babbitt.

Ashli Babbitt was a decorated Air Force veteran addicted to Fox News, InfoWars, and QAnon. She was killed while rioting at the Capitol yesterday. What did she get for her service to Q? Fellow travelers are calling her death a "false flag," of course.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ories-n1253285
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Fair, but I'd argue that right now is the time for an unequivocal condemnation of what we just saw. That message gets softened when you feel the need to look backward at what someone else did or said that was hypocritical. There's time for that later, but right now I think we should be united in our stance against what happened yesterday.

It gets softened a lot when the sitting President, who incited this, doesn't condemn it. Then his cult-worshippers follow his lead.
    Correct, it is time for an unequivocal condemnation. Sounds like we are united on this one from what I’ve read. However, if you wait to long to see if this type of behavior has occurred before, the sense of urgency to fix it gets lost. Or why in the hell didn’t we learn something from the last time this happened.

As for MID’s link, protesters stormed the Capital during the Kavanaugh hearing. Some even confronted a GOP Senator in an elevator so he would vote to tie in a FBI investigation. Also, you had Kamala Harris address the protesters that day in front of Supreme Court building, “we will not be bullied” and Blumenthal saying, “I truly appreciate all of you being here” and “It means a lot and inspires us.” Obviously not a call for violence, but does add fuel to the fire and not exactly a condemnation either.

Those protests too should’ve been unequivocally condemned as well and held our leaders accountable for their words. Wrong is wrong no matter what side you stand on. Does it mean this should soften Trump’s or the protesters abhorrent behavior? Not in the least!

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    You are the generation that raised those kids with their participation trophies, that was booze's point
    Exactly. Thank you. And in the several posts from (presumably) our Elder Statesmen here I didn't see anyone accept a shred of responsibility for the generation that their generation created. They act like Aliens abducted their kids and made them soft.

I expected strong responses to that post, because I was essentially telling a generation that has convinced themselves that they are the greatest thing ever while their kids are basically entitled monsters, that they should consider the world they were born into vs. the one that they created for their children.

It's not that black and white. It never is.

I'm glad that I was able to bring Bobbie and MOR together on something though. Maybe our bridge to unity is all just complaining about what a bunch of losers are kids are all day long?
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Sorry, that was not his point. My kids never got a participation trophy, we didn't even know what that was. Never heard the term until the 90's or later. At best, we gave out team pictures and pins. We used LL uniforms that were passed down from the other teams for years. And why belittle someone who busted their ass for thirty years in a plant or in front of a blast furnace? Did you have bullets whizzing over your head at anytime in your existence or at your cush job? Don't think so. I worked at the Fisher Body plant in school in temps over a 100 degrees. No a/c back in the day. A real cake walk. I provided a great education for my kids at no small expense and it paid off in spades. That's was what I was supposed to do. No they were not spoiled brats. They were both working p/t at 16 and all thru college just like me. They both developed a great work ethic. If they wanted something, it was understood they needed to work for it.
    2023 Sweet 16

This got me thinking. If it was that easy to gain access to the Capitol building, why haven’t terrorist just destroyed the place
    before. I mean is there any security there. This was pretty funny.

https://mobile.twitter.com/YousefMun...26407294201863

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    Sorry, that was not his point. My kids never got a participation trophy, we didn't even know what that was. Never heard the term until the 90's or later. At best, we gave out team pictures and pins. We used LL uniforms that were passed down from the other teams for years. And why belittle someone who busted their ass for thirty years in a plant or in front of a blast furnace? Did you have bullets whizzing over your head at anytime in your existence or at your cush job? Don't think so. I worked at the Fisher Body plant in school in temps over a 100 degrees. No a/c back in the day. A real cake walk. I provided a great education for my kids at no small expense and it paid off in spades. That's was what I was supposed to do. No they were not spoiled brats. They were both working p/t at 16 and all thru college just like me. They both developed a great work ethic. If they wanted something, it was understood they needed to work for it.
    This is perfect. Thank you. You even worked in a version of the 'I used to walk to school in the snow uphill both ways' analogy. Bonus points for the 'my kids are fine, it's the other people's kids' implication.

I'm making a generalization about a group of people for effect, because someone (not you) started in on the whole 'these damn kids are ruining America' trope.

You (and several others) took that as an immediate personal assault for some reason.
    Eat Donuts!

Probably because you made it personal.
    2023 Sweet 16