Page 534 of 2117 FirstFirst ... 3443448452453253353453553654458463410341534 ... LastLast
Results 5,331 to 5,340 of 21169

Thread: Politics Thread

I would think wide spread voting by mail would also be susceptible to problems. (just steal the envelopes)
    I know the Russians worked hard at hacking different state voting machines/systems, but we can encrypt at a very high level.
    Just thought someone would have put that to work for voting.
    I'm OK with paper ballots at polling places like Canada. Just have to have enough places and poll workers.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Prediction Bernie beats (or gets close) to Biden because young will do what they do - some show and some don’t while virus not a huge concern. On the other hand, Biden’s bread and butter turnout the elderly will decline dramatically.
    After looking at early predictions in Florida, looks like I’m way off. Guess this is why I do so bad in pick the score

Junior
    FWIW, Washington State has done very well with vote by mail / drop box for years now. It's such a better way to vote.

I agree. Haven't been in a voting booth for years. Just mail it.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    100% the right call this time. However a little scary that there is no check on this. What stops a Governor from ordering a health commissioner to cancel election down the road for a pretextual emergency? I would say political norms, but I think we have set all of those on fire at this point.
    The Ohio Supreme Court with 2 Dems and 2 Republicans voting for, upheld both DeWine’s original call and the authority of the Heath Commissioner to rule.
    I thought that the Franklin County Judge was tone deaf and off base, and the high court did too.
    Now the Ohio Democratic Party, led by idiot David Pepper are challenging the decisions again. How stupid can one group be? I guess infinitely....
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    The Ohio Supreme Court with 2 Dems and 2 Republicans voting for, upheld both DeWine’s original call and the authority of the Heath Commissioner to rule.
    I thought that the Franklin County Judge was tone deaf and off base, and the high court did too.
    Now the Ohio Democratic Party, led by idiot David Pepper are challenging the decisions again. How stupid can one group be? I guess infinitely....
    MOR, if you are going to get into the politics of this decision, at least be honest about it. Members of both parties in the state legislature (including Republican leaders) are arguing that the Ohio state constitution requires any change to be done by the state legislature. I agree with you that DeWine is doing an incredible job , but be honest. Link: https://www.dispatch.com/news/202003...w-primary-date
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    MOR, if you are going to get into the politics of this decision, at least be honest about it. Members of both parties in the state legislature (including Republican leaders) are arguing that the Ohio state constitution requires any change to be done by the state legislature. I agree with you that DeWine is doing an incredible job , but be honest. Link: https://www.dispatch.com/news/202003...w-primary-date
    WTF??? Just stop it. I guess you don't like me, and I could care less, but this has zero to do with a State Constitution. It is an extreme circumstance where extraordinary measures need to be taken, and DeWine and the Supreme Court agreed. Extreme measures override any narrow constitutional interpretation. The Franklin County judge was incredibly wrong and tone deaf and Pepper and the Democratic party are ridiculous in filing a challenge.
    Yeah, just go ahead, force people to show up on a terrible date and put poll workers and voters at risk without any chance for proper precautions. And to say that they can't set a replacement date for live voting? Hell, they talk about voter suppression all the time but then want to quash a replacement date that is proper just because LaRose set it?
    Good plan.

If you want the constitution to be changed, welp, legislators, go ahead and do it, but the Supreme Court, in a bi-partisan fashion, said that what DeWine and his Medical Director did was proper. So did former Secretary of State John Husted. Period. End of story.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 03-18-2020 at 10:04 AM.

WTF??? Just stop it. I guess you don't like me, and I could care less, but this has zero to do with a State Constitution. It is an extreme circumstance where extraordinary measures need to be taken, and DeWine and the Supreme Court agreed. Extreme measures override any narrow constitutional interpretation. The Franklin County judge was incredibly wrong and tone deaf and Pepper and the Democratic party are ridiculous in filing a challenge.
    Yeah, just go ahead, force people to show up on a terrible date and put poll workers and voters at risk without any chance for proper precautions. And to say that they can't set a replacement date for live voting? Hell, they talk about voter suppression all the time but then want to quash a replacement date that is proper just because LaRose set it?
    Good plan.

If you want the constitution to be changed, welp, legislators, go ahead and do it, but the Supreme Court, in a bi-partisan fashion, said that what DeWine and his Medical Director did was proper. So did former Secretary of State John Husted. Period. End of story.
    Perhaps you might actually read the story to understand my point. The article cites key lawmakers from BOTH parties who are uncomfortable with how the changes were made...not the changes themselves, the way they were made. DeWine totally did the right thing when he had Acton declare a medical emergency as justification. And at least some of the lawmakers who were upset wanted extended mail-voting rather than a new primary date, for what I believe are constitutional reasons.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    Perhaps you might actually read the story to understand my point. The article cites key lawmakers from BOTH parties who are uncomfortable with how the changes were made...not the changes themselves, the way they were made. DeWine totally did the right thing when he had Acton declare a medical emergency as justification. And at least some of the lawmakers who were upset wanted extended mail-voting rather than a new primary date, for what I believe are constitutional reasons.
    I read the story. There apparently was 1 Repub who complained along with the whole Dem party.
    The legislature would take forever to act because that’s their nature. LaRose did the right thing & the Court and former officials agreed.
    If Pepper didn’t like it, keep yo mouth shut, get your people in the legislative body to introduce a bill and work it through. Meanwhile everyone gets a chance to vote.
    Another example as to why Dems keep losing in this state

I read the story. There apparently was 1 Repub who complained along with the whole Dem party.
    The legislature would take forever to act because that’s their nature. LaRose did the right thing & the Court and former officials agreed.
    If Pepper didn’t like it, keep yo mouth shut, get your people in the legislative body to introduce a bill and work it through. Meanwhile everyone gets a chance to vote.
    Another example as to why Dems keep losing in this state
    Because you clearly only read the headline, let me help you out here. Here is a quote from the article involving Speaker Householder (a Republican, obviously):

"But House Speaker Larry Householder said in a memo Tuesday, 'The date of Ohio’s primary election is set by state law and, as the secretary of state has acknowledged, the legal authority to change the date rests with the Ohio General Assembly — not the courts and not via executive fiat. So too does the process and manner in which the election is conducted.'"

So maybe you think the Dispatch is also "fake news"?