Page 458 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 3584084484564574584594604685085589581458 ... LastLast
Results 4,571 to 4,580 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by X-man View Post
    Just so long as you also credit Trump when the market corrects.
    It’s extremely humorous and somewhat sad to see how poorly these posts age.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    All political postings shall go here until further notice. When the aftermath cools down, perhaps we will go back to the old way.
    Has the aftermath cooled down yet?
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    I’ll take Not a Chance for $500, Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Trump sez he will build a beautiful wall in Colorado.
    New Mexico will pay for it.
    Last edited by bobbiemcgee; 10-24-2019 at 02:03 PM.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    We've both been hanging around these XU boards long enough to know, so long as there are posters, nothing will ever cool politically. Not past, not present and not future. But, at this point, who cares because we both know that politics is silly to debate. Everyone wants to win the debate, or agitate with sarcastic ball busting, rather than simply discuss issues and topics with respect and an open mind. Until discussions get to a point where people respectfully discuss political topics, it'll be a tribal free for all. All that's fine and good, but I decided long ago that I have no energy, or desire for that and to bow out of any political back and forth here.
    Last edited by vee4xu; 10-26-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    Pray the Rosary daily

Please understand that this is a QUESTION and not an insinuation or argument.

What is stopping the House from holding anyone who ignores a subpoena in contempt of congress?? It's my understanding that it's a month in jail and a hefty fine.

It seems to me if you ask/direct someone to do it, and their response is "MAKE ME!" then you have to either accept the fact that they won't do what you're asking, or you have to make them. The congress seems to be opting for the former.

I don't have that option in the world I live in. I also don't think that makes me all that unique. I have to follow a lot of stupid rules, and I have to do a lot of things that I don't like doing or don't want to do that I think are entirely stupid. But, if I were to just ignore it, I'd be out on my ass and probably never let back in. Maybe I should have gone into politics, where saying "MAKE ME" seems like it's actually an option!
    Last edited by xubrew; 11-04-2019 at 03:46 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I can't help 'brew with his questions. Sorry, too busy getting the popcorn ready to enjoy the news coverage of the Nats' big trip to the White House. After the Nats fans heartily booed Trump during Game 5, this is a pretty interesting turn of events. Will be fascinating to follow.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Please understand that this is a QUESTION and not an insinuation or argument.

What is topping the House from holding anyone who ignores a subpoena in contempt of congress?? It's my understanding that it's a month in jail and a hefty fine.

It seems to me if you ask/direct someone to do it, and their response is "MAKE ME!" then you have to either accept the fact that they won't do what you're asking, or you have to make them. The congress seems to be opting for the former.

I don't have that option in the world I live in. I also don't think that makes me all that unique. I have to follow a lot of stupid rules, and I have to do a lot of things that I don't like doing or don't want to do that I think are entirely stupid. But, if I were to just ignore it, I'd be out on my ass and probably never let back in. Maybe I should have gone into politics, where saying "MAKE ME" seems like it's actually an option!
    So there is a more complicated answer involving the separation of powers and congress' authority against the executive branch and whether the judicial branch would step in to assist the legislative branch against the executive branch, or simply deem it a political question and refuse to get involved.

However, the reason it will not be tested is optics. If you go and arrest the White House lawyer the evening news is going to lead with his perp walk out of the White House. So instead of the story being about the substance of the testimony it will shift to the process the Democrats are using. If you think the right is calling these "Soviet Style" hearings now, just imagine when they have video to play of officials being arrested for not cooperating in the "witch hunt."

This is the same reason the Republicans that stormed the SCIF were hoping to be arrested. They want video of them being hauled away in handcuffs to further their witch hunt argument.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

It's sort of like Jane Fonda spending her spare time getting kinky with the DC cops every Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    So there is a more complicated answer involving the separation of powers and congress' authority against the executive branch and whether the judicial branch would step in to assist the legislative branch against the executive branch, or simply deem it a political question and refuse to get involved.

However, the reason it will not be tested is optics. If you go and arrest the White House lawyer the evening news is going to lead with his perp walk out of the White House. So instead of the story being about the substance of the testimony it will shift to the process the Democrats are using. If you think the right is calling these "Soviet Style" hearings now, just imagine when they have video to play of officials being arrested for not cooperating in the "witch hunt."

This is the same reason the Republicans that stormed the SCIF were hoping to be arrested. They want video of them being hauled away in handcuffs to further their witch hunt argument.
    Thank you!! Makes sense.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White