Page 451 of 2085 FirstFirst ... 3514014414494504514524534615015519511451 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,510 of 20842

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kmcrawfo View Post
    It is interesting that the last two presidents our country has elected historically would be considered the least qualified and least experienced individuals to ever hold the office. One, I believe, was a one-term Senator with no executive experience. The other, I believe, had no political experience whatsoever. One could argue the benefits and detriments of both situations.
    Yeah. I don't think it's a good thing. Just like I wouldn't want an 'outsider' as my surgeon or airline pilot I also do not necessarily want an 'outsider' as my President. I would like a more functioning government, but I don't believe that amateur Presidents are the way we should go about it.
    Eat Donuts!

Trump certainly isn't helping his case by constantly threatening the WB. 124 tweets over the weekend. Pretty outrageous.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrett View Post
    Nope. Nobody running is worse than what we have now.
    I see no indication of either party moving toward the aisle. If the Dems go Biden or Warren and don't win, you can bet your bottom dollar the party will swing to extremes by 2022-24. If they win in any scenario, the GOP will do the same. I hope I'm wrong, but as this thread clearly shows, people are far from coming together.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Yeah. I don't think it's a good thing. Just like I wouldn't want an 'outsider' as my surgeon or airline pilot I also do not necessarily want an 'outsider' as my President. I would like a more functioning government, but I don't believe that amateur Presidents are the way we should go about it.
    The problem is that the “insiders”/establishment has been totally unresponsive to the problems that the public has been struggling with and their outsider vote is the outcome of that. If the establishment won’t be responsive or effective, the people are gonna vote for outsiders to blow it up until they figure it out or are removed. That’s clearly the pattern

Of course the level to which political discourse has devolved probably has something to do with it as well although that’s probably more of a symptom
    Last edited by scoscox; 09-30-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Sophomore
    What other option to people have other than their vote? None really and so they use it

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    I see no indication of either party moving toward the aisle. If the Dems go Biden or Warren and don't win, you can bet your bottom dollar the party will swing to extremes by 2022-24. If they win in any scenario, the GOP will do the same. I hope I'm wrong, but as this thread clearly shows, people are far from coming together.
    Trump is erratic and bombastic but hasn’t necessarily done a lot outside of historical precedent as far as policy. Protectionism has been done before although arguably never on this scale. Probably the most unprecedented thing he’s done is his work with North Korea.

Most of the democratic nominees, on the other hand, are all proposing a myriad of policies totally unprecedented in American history. Whether you think their policies are good or bad that’s a reality

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Probably the most unprecedented thing he’s done is his work with North Korea.
    His "work" with NK has produced zip. Kim ain't ever giving up his nukes or he'll end up in the same hole as Kaddafi and Saddam.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    His "work" with NK has produced zip. Kim ain't ever giving up his nukes or he'll end up in the same hole as Kaddafi and Saddam.
    Our alternative to Donald Trump in the last election is partly to blame for Kim rightly feeling this way. She was all too happy to brag about her role in Muammar's death. Here's a new policy idea: open Dictator's Island in the South Pacific. Make it splendid and glorious. All-expenses paid. We offer mansions there to guys like Kim Jong-Un and Nicolas Maduro. Full security. Expensive booze freely flowing. But there's one catch: they can never, ever leave. Offer a spot there to dictators we don't like and their families in exchange for ending their horrible regimes.

I think a place like that would be a nice investment. Hell, maybe Trump would accept a spot.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbiemcgee View Post
    I’m not saying it’s produced any tangible results just that it’s unprecedented. Crossing the dmz, South Korea crossing the dmz, summits with Kim, etc. obviously it hasn’t really done a lot, but I don’t think it has done anything to exacerbate the problem either, which is good

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    I'm entertained by the 'outsider fallacy' that so intoxicates people. I'd actually rather return to the days where most of our Presidents had prior executive experience as Governors. Running the United States of America is a complicated job. I think it helps to have some relevant experience. Often as a Governor you get that experience, and you learn how compromise works and how to get things done, even when parties disagree. I think that was part of the problem with Obama, and definitely a major issue with Trump. Outside of Trump's glaring personality flaws he did not seem to have any appreciation for the magnitude of the Presidency which has led to a chaotic administration almost from day 1. Basic staffing and information flow were major issues for this administration which we really haven't seen before. I attribute that to a lack of preparedness and a lack of relevant experience.

In my opinion the hyper-partisan state we find ourselves in is more related to things not getting done than career politicians - they are just a symptom of the larger problem which is (IMO) far too much money in (and around) politics. Shut off the money and influence pipeline and it would go a long way.
    Well we obviously agree on one big problem, too much money in and around politics. Where we disagree is some of us were sick of electing the same bureaucrats who’s given us this shit hole in DC. Don’t you think business leaders know how to compromise and know how to get things done? Heck I’ve held this position for a long time and even voted for Perot (yes I know). I’m so glad are founding fathers were a diverse group occupationally vs just politicians. Also the same founders didn’t want politics to be a profession because they feared it would lead to...well what we have today.

Even though partisan politics is high now, honestly you can say the same thing for centuries. Just ask Mrs. Hamilton in 1804.

I get your point administratively, but my expectations were already baked in. What I didn’t expect (even though you blasted me for this in the past) is the lengths the establishment (not just politicians) were willing to go to keep the status quo. When you start your presidency with the FBI director comes to you on day 1 and tells you about an unverified dossier (that was financed by the establishment - Democrats when Steele got involved) and never mentions people on his campaign were being investigated for nearly a year. Obviously we know where this led and in good time, hopefully we’ll find out if the origins were warranted or not.