Page 324 of 2104 FirstFirst ... 2242743143223233243253263343744248241324 ... LastLast
Results 3,231 to 3,240 of 21031

Thread: Politics Thread

So any thoughts on "New NAFTA", er the USMCA? Better or worse than New Coke?

Seems good that it got done, at least. The markets like it so far this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post

I would say I'm cautiously optimistic, but without reading the specific details I can't really comment too definitively. Has a detailed account of the provisions been published yet? Most of what I can find is Trump administration officials saying it is great.
    Eat Donuts!

Does it address the Wage Gap?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdiggins View Post
    Does it address the Wage Gap?
    Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but from the WSJ:

"New rules would require at least two-fifths of a vehicle that is eligible for duty-free trade in North America to originate from workers earning at least $16 an hour. Think of it as a cap on the amount of parts coming from low-wage Mexico. But companies get credit for high-wage research and development."

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but from the WSJ:

"New rules would require at least two-fifths of a vehicle that is eligible for duty-free trade in North America to originate from workers earning at least $16 an hour. Think of it as a cap on the amount of parts coming from low-wage Mexico. But companies get credit for high-wage research and development."
    Not good enough. Corporations are getting credit for research and development jobs. How will the people actually building the cars ever afford one.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdiggins View Post
    Not good enough. Corporations are getting credit for research and development jobs. How will the people actually building the cars ever afford one.
    Car prices for reliable safe cars are insane, the secondary market for quality cars that will last is equally insane. I know after doing research on a family friendly vehicle for my wife. We have twins coming and her civic isn't going to cut it.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Car prices for reliable safe cars are insane, the secondary market for quality cars that will last is equally insane. I know after doing research on a family friendly vehicle for my wife. We have twins coming and her civic isn't going to cut it.
    Congratulations on the twins...mine are 2. The first year is rough....everyone said it would get easier, it did.

Car prices are insane and I believe there is room here for the next big disruptor....whoever comes up with it, is going to be a very rich person.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I believe there is room here for the next big disruptor....whoever comes up with it, is going to be a very rich person.
    It's going to be self-driving cars that individuals don't own. All those three car garages in my neighborhood are going to have more room for storing random crap.

Supporting Member
    It's going to be self-driving cars that individuals don't own. All those three car garages in my neighborhood are going to have more room for storing random crap.
    That certainly is the prevailing thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Congratulations on the twins...mine are 2. The first year is rough....everyone said it would get easier, it did.

Car prices are insane and I believe there is room here for the next big disruptor....whoever comes up with it, is going to be a very rich person.
    I'll echo this. I also have twins (2.5yrs old now) and a 4.5 year old - all boys. Twins are tough for a while, but it's great when they get a little older and start becoming best friends.

I also agree about car prices. My company leases me a Subaru Outback which is very safe and a pretty decent car, but not cheap. I would recommend it though. We own a Toyota Sienna that we like but it was like $35K new for a well equipped, but not loaded, model. Essentially there is no such thing as a safe, reliable, family car for under about $30K it seems, and you don't get that much of a break for buying used. The prices for midsize and large SUVs are just ridiculous. I have a hard time paying that much for an asset that depreciates that quickly.
    Eat Donuts!