Page 319 of 2103 FirstFirst ... 2192693093173183193203213293694198191319 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,190 of 21024

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Good lord that would be stupid if this is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1. All this talk of impeachment (of Trump, of Kavanaugh) is not helpful for the Democrats. I guess it's therapy.

If Ginsburg dies in the next two years and Trump gets a third Supreme Court appointment, I'm all but certain Democrats will start seriously talking about Court-packing when they get back into power.

Jake Sherman Tweet

ALERT — DONNELLY IS A NO ON KAVANAUGH
    If earlier reports that Donnelly, Manchin, Murkowski and Collins are all expected to vote the same way are correct it may be a no now.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    +1. All this talk of impeachment (of Trump, of Kavanaugh) is not helpful for the Democrats. I guess it's therapy.

If Ginsburg dies in the next two years and Trump gets a third Supreme Court appointment, I'm all but certain Democrats will start seriously talking about Court-packing when they get back into power.
    Kavanaugh yes, Trump I think the jury is out here. I am always reminded of the line in Dragon Tattoo when the killer tells the family attorney to let Salander in the company archives. The killer says, what could we possibly have to hide. The attorney replies something like, after decades of business probably a lot. I firmly believe Trump has done immoral things, been on the wrong side of good ethical business practices, and done things that were outright illegal. The level of illegality I hope Mueller uncovers so that we can all determine whether we view him as a presidential material.

Sure, something could still come out, but talking about impeachment based on what we know now? A complete waste of time. Similar to the complete waste of time that was the Clinton impeachment.

I guess getting Congress together and wasting their time isn't the worst thing in the world, though. At least it prevents them from doing things that could cause REAL damage!

[QUOTE=boozehound;629356]What is on the Democrats? His inability to hold his composure? I don't see how you can think that he conclusively proved, or even proved beyond a reasonable doubt, that he didn't do it. That doesn't matter though - it is the accuser's burden to prove that he did it, which certainly hasn't happened.
    The Democrats are a bunch of jackoffs who have turned this into a complete circus. Agreed. All Kavanaugh really had to do was tell his story and maintain his composure, and he couldn't seem to manage that. He is a grown man who is being considered for a lifetime appointment to the highest court in the land. I would like for him to be able to maintain his composure in the face of false allegations.

Are you so wrapped up in your partisan bias that you can't see that all parties look bad here?

No I'm not. Not one bit.

It's pretty easy from the sidelines, isn't it. You comfy, sitting in your overstuffed chair, watching it and not living through it?

This man has an impeccable service record, not even a whiff of this kind of behavior otherwise, attesting letters from the people she said were there who have made it clear it wasn't him - positions that come with Federal charges if proven to be false - and calendars (blew me away; who does that at that age!) that rather clearly showed it could not have been him on the date in question.

I get that it is the high court. I get that we all want a STABLE person taking such a chair. That is beyond obvious. I want that, too.

But you are in absolutely no position to preach about this, because it wasn't you in the chair having your life ripped apart. A life heavily invested in and positively lived from all that is known from his resume.

You weren't being scorched by a true IDIOT who has otherwise admitted to groping women who sat there questioning you, having called you EVIL. You weren't being badgered by being asked to ask for "an FBI investigation" when anyone who has a clue knows that means nothing with respect to producing conclusive material - and to top it off, having footage of Biden air from '91 emphatically stating that.

Let's all analyze pages from a yearbook to get to the truth. Yep. You match this guy's career, then you live the last 10 or so days as he's lived them, go through what he went through yesterday, including the review of your yearbooks and a highly scientific assessment of your beer consumption from over 3 decades ago, knowing his children and his family have been beyond fully exposed to all of it, and you sit there with cold, pure compassion, refuting it all.

Had he sat there with nothing but composure, I would have then become very concerned about his character.

Seriously, were I a moderate Democrat, waking up this morning, I would be shaking my head.
    Last edited by xudash; 09-28-2018 at 11:27 AM.
    X A V I E R

I’m home for lunch at an watching Corey Booker pontificate. He just said that Kavanaugh saying that Ford’s accusation have been proven false is, itself, false. He’s making the claim that since these people didn’t specifically say that it didn’t happen, Kavanaugh is wrong, and by extension, guilty. Let’s see. Ford said they all would corroborate her story. They’ve all, under penalty of felony/perjury, said they have no memory or knowledge of that happening. It might be legal wordsmithing, but to me, their statements raise serious doubt as to her accusation of it being Kavanaugh who assaulted her. She probably was assaulted, but we have no idea who it might have been.

Another issue is the double standard of how the Senators can comment about Ford and Kavanaugh. The Democrats can call Kavanaugh whatever they’d like with reckless abandon. However, should the Republicans say anything even slightly negative towards Ford, they’d be castigated as in favor of sexual assault and misogynists, so they have to tread incredibly lightly.

Another Senator just stated that Kavanaugh is “so far out of the mainstream”. I don’t think that most of the Congressional representatives of either party are mainstream, so they’re in no place to make these claims.

I’m disgusted by all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

In all honesty, this should never have been this show at all but Garland should also be on the court. In the spirit of tit for tat, this is karma coming back and biting the Republicans in the ass. Don't start on Bork, that guy sold his soul when he fired Cox for Nixon who was one of the dirtiest Presidents ever.

Also, Kavanaugh has taken so many shots to the chin here that if he is the deciding vote on a Roe overturn (80% of the country opposes) or on whether we can indict a sitting President that it is just going to drudge all this back up in the media.

Of all the stupid judges around, why pick one with so much marginalia in his past? Gorsuch didn't have it and he sits on this court. It just isn't hard, I know why he was picked but this process could have been a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Let's all analyze pages from a yearbook to get to the truth. Yep. You match this guy's career, then you live the last 10 or so days as he's lived them, go through what he went through yesterday, including the review of your yearbooks and a highly scientific assessment of your beer consumption from over 3 decades ago
    Not a single person on here is arguing that he's guilty based on the knowledge we currently have, especially not Booze. Not a single person. If I'm wrong about that, please find the post. The most democratic of our posters are saying they should make an effort to go get more information. You are arguing against points that have not been made.

There are people here having a reasonable discussion about this, the questions it raises, it's implications, etc. You are not one of them. Please do resist the insane, 'my party is right, the other party is wrong' mindset. It's how we end up with these trash Senators in the first place.

Flake flaked. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Flake flaked. LOL
    For those who missed it he's a yes in committee, but said he would be against if they brought a vote to the floor without further investigation.