Page 247 of 2146 FirstFirst ... 1471972372452462472482492572973477471247 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,470 of 21451

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    An outdated measurement developed by a fascist. Brilliant!
    I'm all ears on alternatives that say otherwise.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Why is it that the entire world can do single payer effectively, yet we can't MAGA our way to match them? That is kind of an interesting question there. Maybe we don't navigate the same circles, but the middle class families I know don't have the kind of retirement and savings they should at the ages they are. Basic things like cars, homes, food, healthcare, and upkeep for all, have all kept that down. This generation will work longer then any previous. Car loans have already started to push to the 6-7 year range, I expect home loans to increase to 40 years soon.
    Let me ask you a question....you really want the government running healthcare? Even if you say yes, which in my opinion is freaking nuts, there are a lot of other factors....

For one the US has at the very least 5 times the population of the next country that has it. Secondly, and probably biggest issue of all, is that there would be minimal if any money saved. I get taxed enough, I don't need more taxes.

I agree the healthcare system is effed up and something needs to be done, what I don't know, but the government taking it over is not the answer IMO.

Actually the satisfaction rate in healthcare is typically highest among those with government-run plans (Medicare, Tricare, Medicaid) than those with commercial or no insurance.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Actually the satisfaction rate in healthcare is typically highest among those with government-run plans (Medicare, Tricare, Medicaid) than those with commercial or no insurance.
    Typically yes, but you are talking about very small populations compared to the US. Studies have shown that in the US, cost savings would be minimal and just redistributed in taxes which no thanks i pay enough.

Plus, you want to talk about hurting an economy in the short term....holy crap. Just think of the number of companies that are run based on our current healthcare system...not just talking insurance companies here.

You may feel that you pay enough in taxes but your healthcare costs in the future will far supercede any taxes that would accrue. Premium rates for healthcare are increasing at rates that are not sustainable. The indirect cost of those uninsured will increase next year when the mandate goes away. What I don’t understand is why if it’s called a tax, it is evil, yet when you pay more than you would as a tax to a private and likely equally corrupt insurance company it is just free market. Some things should not be free market in my opinion, healthcare being one of them as there will always be people that cannot afford it.

Also, the large population should be an advantage for the US. The more people that are insured lowers total cost.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Why is it that the entire world can do single payer effectively, yet we can't MAGA our way to match them? That is kind of an interesting question there. Maybe we don't navigate the same circles, but the middle class families I know don't have the kind of retirement and savings they should at the ages they are. Basic things like cars, homes, food, healthcare, and upkeep for all, have all kept that down. This generation will work longer then any previous. Car loans have already started to push to the 6-7 year range, I expect home loans to increase to 40 years soon.
    If people need a 6-7 year loan they are purchasing a car they quite simply can't afford. Encourage those in your circle to attend Financial Peace. Buy a used car in the price range you can afford. Oh the horror of not having a bumper to bumper warranty for five years on a brand new minivan with wifi in it. I spent a weekend this summer putting a new suspension on our 10 year old SUV. I'm an accountant not a mechanic; I looked how to do it on you tube. Cost less than half the dealer quote. It's not my responsibility for the people in your circle to live the lifestyle they want now, and to save enough for retirement. It's their responsibility to figure out what is truly important to them and make choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Also, the large population should be an advantage for the US. The more people that are insured lowers total cost.
    Then why has the Dem controlled legislature in Vermont passed single payer Health Care, but has never implemented it?
    Answer: Because it would be exorbitantly expensive, break the state budget, and not work.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Then why has the Dem controlled legislature in Vermont passed single payer Health Care, but has never implemented it?
    Answer: Because it would be exorbitantly expensive, break the state budget, and not work.
    Vermont doesn’t have a large population. It won’t work on the state level unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    And why does everything have to be about Dems vs Repubs? My god it’s exhausting.