Page 2051 of 2143 FirstFirst ... 105115511951200120412049205020512052205320612101 ... LastLast
Results 20,501 to 20,510 of 21424

Thread: Politics Thread

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    From the linked article. Bold is from me.

“The $118 billion agreement, which was released Sunday afternoon and negotiated for months, would tighten the standard for migrants to receive asylum, automatically shut down the southern border to illegal crossings if migrant encounters hit certain daily benchmarks and send billions of dollars to Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan as well as the border.”

Here’s a thought. Shut the border down completely. The daily benchmark is, I believe, 5,000. That’s over a million for the year. That’s still too many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So, a couple of things. It isn't perfect by any means. It never was going to be. The 5,000 isn't like the border is just open and we say come on in and here is your path to citizenship certificate. They would go thru the process, and due to the bill, it would be a quicker process of expulsion or asylum. There is a significant percentage that are going to be immediately deported. Its a step in the right direction, that congress could then go back to and improve upon.

Here is a bit more info on the actual process and the changes that would be made:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ow/ar-BB1hLHo1

Being what America stands for and how it was founded, I see 0 crossings as a non-starter. Our country should be a place of refuge for those who actually need it.

Regardless, its most likely not even going to get to the house. Fringe Republicans only want to pass Trump legistlation, and Fringe Democrats think its too harsh and/or don't like the aid to Israel provisions.
    Last edited by Xville; 02-05-2024 at 08:59 AM.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    So, a couple of things. It isn't perfect by any means. It never was going to be. The 5,000 isn't like the border is just open and we say come on in and here is your path to citizenship certificate. They would go thru the process, and due to the bill, it would be a quicker process of expulsion or asylum. There is a significant percentage that are going to be immediately deported. Its a step in the right direction, that congress could then go back to and improve upon.

Here is a bit more info on the actual process and the changes that would be made:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ow/ar-BB1hLHo1

Being what America stands for and how it was founded, I see 0 crossings as a non-starter. Our country should be a place of refuge for those who actually need it.

Regardless, its most likely not even going to get to the house. Fringe Republicans only want to pass Trump legistlation, and Fringe Democrats think its too harsh and/or don't like the aid to Israel provisions.

I think its an awful bill. I'm all for legal entry but There should be zero undocumented crossings (I know unrealistic) but we are going to allow 5k a day or 1.8m a year?! Also, I don't understand why Ukraine has to be tied to this bill. 62billion?? So far we have given them 74billion and we want to almost double that on this bill alone

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xuwillie View Post
    I think its an awful bill. I'm all for legal entry but There should be zero undocumented crossings (I know unrealistic) but we are going to allow 5k a day or 1.8m a year?! Also, I don't understand why Ukraine has to be tied to this bill. 62billion?? So far we have given them 74billion and we want to almost double that on this bill alone
    I think the number is high, but it is much lower than what has been occurring (I know not exactly a ringing endorsement.) However, again that doesn't mean 5k are going to enter and stay. A significant amount are going to be turned right back around and sent home.

Regarding Ukraine, I'm not going to pretend the foreign policy ins and outs here. However, what I do know is that China and Iran are watching, and Putin is a despicable human being. If giving money, keeps the US out of war, then there are worse things that our government spends money on.

Sophomore
    Two things:

* Lankford is now a proven liar

* Ville got hoodwinked by RINOs, again

From the bill itself:

Creates Sec. 244B of the Immigration and Nationality Act which grants the Secretary of Homeland Security new emergency authority to respond to extraordinary migration circumstances. The “border emergency authority” may be exercised if the 7-day average number of cumulative encounters of inadmissible aliens is between 4,000 and 5,000 per day and must be exercised if the 7-day average is above 5,000 per day. Exercise of the authority is also required if the number of encounters on a single day exceeds 8,500. Unaccompanied minors from non-contiguous countries are not included in the total number of encounters for the purposes of this section

https://www.appropriations.senate.go...by-section.pdf

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XU_Lou View Post
    Two things:

From the bill itself:

Creates Sec. 244B of the Immigration and Nationality Act which grants the Secretary of Homeland Security new emergency authority to respond to extraordinary migration circumstances. The “border emergency authority” may be exercised if the 7-day average number of cumulative encounters of inadmissible aliens is between 4,000 and 5,000 per day and must be exercised if the 7-day average is above 5,000 per day. Exercise of the authority is also required if the number of encounters on a single day exceeds 8,500. Unaccompanied minors from non-contiguous countries are not included in the total number of encounters for the purposes of this section

This will be good. What did Lankford lie about? You think that 5,000 number is just being led in with open arms and are allowed to move about the country dontcha? Lol.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...s-border-bill/

https://www.newsweek.com/senate-bord...ll-aid-1866774
    Last edited by Xville; 02-05-2024 at 11:33 AM.

Sophomore
    I think the number is high, but it is much lower than what has been occurring (I know not exactly a ringing endorsement.) However, again that doesn't mean 5k are going to enter and stay. A significant amount are going to be turned right back around
    Regarding Ukraine, I'm not going to pretend the foreign policy ins and outs here. However, what I do know is that China and Iran are watching, and Putin is a despicable human being. If giving money, keeps the US out of war, then there are worse things that our government spends money on.
    That makes sense and sounds like we are flying back illegals now. But what do we do when Taiwan is invaded? They’ll need a lot of help also. We can’t be the only country helping everyone. Just look at the Ukraine aid numbers. Closest other county giving aid is Germany at 21b total.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xuwillie View Post
    That makes sense and sounds like we are flying back illegals now. But what do we do when Taiwan is invaded? They’ll need a lot of help also. We can’t be the only country helping everyone. Just look at the Ukraine aid numbers. Closest other county giving aid is Germany at 21b total.
    I hear ya. The amount of money this is taking is pretty astronomical and as you and I know, we have our own domestic problems. It does beg the question of where/when is the end? Russia, China and Iran are all major problems.

Sophomore
    This will be good. What did Lankford lie about? You think that 5,000 number is just being led in with open arms and are allowed to move about the country dontcha? Lol.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...s-border-bill/

https://www.newsweek.com/senate-bord...ll-aid-1866774
    Are you really that naive?

In your own article your boy Lankford is bragging that the bill drops the numbers of illegals flowing over the border from 10K to 5K per day. What sane person would think this is a positive, or a good compromise?

What will change on the ground (in reality) if this bill is passed, other than the number per day? And do you really think someone like Biden would abide by those numbers - let alone accurately tally them?

"You think that 5,000 number is just being led in with open arms and are allowed to move about the country dontcha?"

Uh, yes.

Blue states and cities continue to provide financial incentives for illegals to come to the US. Prosecution of crimes such as DUIs, beating up cops, or faking social security numbers to gain access to free healthcare aren't pursued. Once in the country, they're free to move about while they wait for their court hearings. Then, years later when the court hearing date arrives, only a tiny percentage of illegals actually show up.

Moreover, this bill could make things worse: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...aign=topunroll
    Last edited by XU_Lou; 02-05-2024 at 12:11 PM.

Supporting Member
    Are you really that naive?

In your own article your boy Lankford is bragging that the bill drops the numbers of illegals flowing over the border from 10K to 5K per day. What sane person would think this is a positive, or a good compromise?

What will change on the ground (in reality) if this bill is passed, other than the number per day? And do you really think someone like Biden would abide by those numbers - let alone accurately tally them?

"You think that 5,000 number is just being led in with open arms and are allowed to move about the country dontcha?"

Uh, yes.

Blue states and cities continue to provide financial incentives for illegals to come to the US. Prosecution of crimes such as DUIs, beating up cops, or faking social security numbers to gain access to free healthcare aren't pursued. Once in the country, they're free to move about while they wait for their court hearings. Then, years later when the court hearing date arrives, only a tiny percentage of illegals actually show up.

Moreover, this bill could make things worse: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...aign=topunroll
    this bill changes that. If you choose to Ted Cruz everything that's fine. I'm well aware you're not a serious debater and just throw out fringe right talking points as your "evidence."

The asylum process would be completely overhauled as I indicated and so would the deportation process. I guess you chose to ignore that since it's not part of your vernacular.

Moving on.

So again, where did Lankford lie?
    Last edited by Xville; 02-05-2024 at 12:23 PM.

Sophomore
    So again, where did Lankford lie?
    OMG, you can't be serious? We're already at the point where you begin to play your games of denying facts and what's been said?

For those who want to make shit up ( like Cruz and trump). Here’s the truth from one of the actual writers of the legislation:

https://www.mediaite.com/news/gop-se...election-year/
    From your own link:

“Right now these internet rumors is all the people are running on,” Lankford said. It would be absolutely absurd for me to agree to 5,000 people a day. This bill focuses on getting us to zero illegal crossings a day. There’s no amnesty. It increases the number of border patrol agents, increases asylum officers. It increases detention beds so we can quickly detain and then deport individuals. It ends catch and release. It focuses on additional deportation flights out. It changes our asylum process so that people get a fast asylum screening at a higher standard, and then get returned back to their home country. This is not about letting 5,000 people in a day. This is the most misunderstood section of this proposal.”

Two things:

From the bill itself: