Page 1601 of 2146 FirstFirst ... 6011101150115511591159916001601160216031611165117012101 ... LastLast
Results 16,001 to 16,010 of 21452

Thread: Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    Can we trade Romney for Paul?
    Pretty sure your reaction is exactly the reason Romney is the right person to join Sinema and Manchin in that role.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Pretty sure your reaction is exactly the reason Romney is the right person to join Sinema and Manchin in that role.
    That's fine by me however Paul is more Independent leaning while Romney is straight old school GOP.
    Official XUHoops Resident Legal Scholar.
    (Do not take this seriously)

Supporting Member
    Sinema, Manchin and Romney should form an alliance (perhaps they already have, but they should be more blatant about it) and tell the rest of the Senate that anything they want done goes through them. And everyone else better goddamn well be ready to make them happy with any bill they want passed or any person they want confirmed.
    I do not think Sinema and Manchin are all that aligned with each other. If my memory serves me correct, I thought the issue the Dems were having was finding a way to please both of them as they wanted opposite concessions (Manchin wanted to remove some climate protections and include corporate increase taxes, Sinema wanted the climate protections, but was against the corporate tax increases). With 51, they only have to please one of them and can get what they want passed. But it is all moot as whatever they pass will die in the house.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

They may not be 100% aligned, but if they work together, they can both get what they want (or all three of them if you include Mitt). They may even be able to get some compromises that some House Republicans might agree on. There are some House Republicans who managed to get elected from some relatively blue districts, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post
    I do not think Sinema and Manchin are all that aligned with each other. If my memory serves me correct, I thought the issue the Dems were having was finding a way to please both of them as they wanted opposite concessions (Manchin wanted to remove some climate protections and include corporate increase taxes, Sinema wanted the climate protections, but was against the corporate tax increases). With 51, they only have to please one of them and can get what they want passed. But it is all moot as whatever they pass will die in the house.
    It would be nice if more of them weren't aligned on everything. Both parties.

They are all supposed to represent their States first not the DC apparatus.

It would be nice if more of them weren't aligned on everything. Both parties.

They are all supposed to represent their States first not the DC apparatus.
    What is strange about Manchin, he thought he was representing his state with the inflation reduction act. You know that promised pipeline. However, his poll numbers dropped like a rock when he went along with the dems to pass it.

Two theories as to why
    1) his constituents are tired of the out of control spending regardless of the perk.
    2) they knew he was being played by his party.

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    What is strange about Manchin, he thought he was representing his state with the inflation reduction act. You know that promised pipeline. However, his poll numbers dropped like a rock when he went along with the dems to pass it.

Two theories as to why
    1) his constituents are tired of the out of control spending regardless of the perk.
    2) they knew he was being played by his party.
    Both theories are probably accurate. The people probably wanted a bill just on the pipeline and no more spending.

Both theories are probably accurate. The people probably wanted a bill just on the pipeline and no more spending.
    Other than Huggins, West Virginians are NOT stooopid
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Sophomore
    Incredible corruption on all levels of our government - on all sides. They don't work you - they work for themselves.

This is from ABC:

"When U.S. officials announce the arrest of a notorious arms dealer and drug-runner this afternoon, the fact that his planes flew U.S. supply missions in Iraq will likely go unmentioned.

In a January 2005 letter to Congress, then-Assistant Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz admitted the Defense Department “did conduct business with companies that, in turn, subcontracted work to second-tier providers who leased aircraft owned by companies associated with Mr. Bout.”

At the time, Bout was already a wanted international fugitive. Intelligence officials had considered Bout one of the greatest threats to U.S. interests, in the same league as al Qaeda kingpin Osama bin Laden. Interpol had issued a warrant for his arrest; the United Nations Security Council had restricted his travel.

But that didn’t stop U.S. government contractors from paying Bout-controlled firms roughly $60 million to fly supplies into Iraq in support of the U.S. war effort, according to a book released last year by two reporters who investigated Bout. And it didn’t prevent the U.S. military from giving Bout’s pilots millions of dollars in free airplane fuel while they were flying U.S. supply flights."

https://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4400141&page=1

https://www.revolver.news/2022/12/we...sions-in-iraq/

Sinema voted 93% with Biden.
    2023 Sweet 16